Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 2024

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Afun View Post
    Interesting. Can't wait to sit on this bike. The Surly buying experience is a strange one!
    thats funny,the ogre is the only surly bike i ever got to sit on and ride before i bought it!

like m-horn said,get the right size frame and the rest can be dealt with,the ogre is the first bike in my entire life that was comfortable,im 6"6' so i always felt cramped on bikes before so the ogre was a godsend...it still required tinkering to get it just right....im more than happy to swap stuff around until i get it right,my ogre has been through dozens of iterations of tire size and handlebar configurations and drivetrains and racks...a good,solid platform,not spectacular at any one thing,but it does so many different things well...

mtbr member
    So is it strange and UnSurly like to have a loud buzzing rear hub on a Ogre?

rth009
    May 2010
    Yes, if you put a Gucci hub in an ogre they hold you down and shave off your ironic facial hair. If it's a king or I-9, they might even remove your tattoos

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    it just means your disposable income kung fu is strong...just tell them you wanted something aside from a shimano hub that wouldnt be worth the cost of rebuilding....at least something like a chris king will last the life of the bike...

mtbr member
    I have no tattoos and a king or I-9 are incredibly expensive. I was leaning more towards a Hope...looking to be about a 200 hundred dollar difference...I could be wrong.

The XT 8000 Shimano Hubs have wonderful reviews though

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    New hope hubs will look great on your Krampus. Sorry, ECR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    New hope hubs will look great on your Krampus. Sorry, ECR.
    I guess those two bikes are worthier of buzzing clicky hubs and the Ogre should be stealth...My Ogre build will be a Sporty one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Your first Ogre build will be a sporty one. 5 years from now who knows where the Ogre will have taken you.

mtbr member
    The Flemish Cap

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I think you are going to need a bigger boat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i will probably end up with a hope pro2evo hub on the ogre once my LBS gets my matching red pro4evo hubs in for the krampus...im assuming the pro4's will have twice as much evo as before...im not sure what evo is but it must be cool...

and seriously...its a surly,go nuts! embrace the madness that is surly,do what you want,its your bike,it only has to make you happy...

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah great post. I was hanging out at my LBS this past Friday, was on my second high gravity beer...when this LOUD full suspension Kona walks in with its owner. Let's just say that left an impression on me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i really really wanted a set of I9 wheels for the krampus build,but i also really didnt want to plunk down 1400 bucks...well i did want to,i just couldnt...the hope hub has been awesome and it has a couple of thousand miles on it and ultimately i wanted a bike that would get me home every time

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I really liked my Hope (only 2 EVOs) hub when I had it on my SS. Gave another sense of speed with the noise. Solid hubs and it will make you cool.

mtbr member
    Seems like the Hope Pro EVO 2's are nice upgrade for the price. The Kings are just too expensive...especially after all the upgrades. The bike is getting up in cost. My first mountain bike, my first build....I'm letting it all hang out. Thats usually the way I do it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just as long as you ride it...someone was giving me some guff about the amount i spent on the krampus and all i could say was...sorry,i couldnt hear you over your 6000 dollar carbon bike you ride less than 20 miles a week or your 30000 dollar pickup you hauled it out here with...

mtbr member
    Hey look....I get 4.5 hours to do what I want...usually on "Friday" every 7.3 days...whatever hours I get on the bike they are well deserved

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    heck,i get to ride every day and yet im still not riding enough...trying to make a point of going out of my way when i do errands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i will probably end up with a hope pro2evo hub on the ogre once my LBS gets my matching red pro4evo hubs in for the krampus...im assuming the pro4's will have twice as much evo as before...im not sure what evo is but it must be cool...

and seriously...its a surly,go nuts! embrace the madness that is surly,do what you want,its your bike,it only has to make you happy...

It may be that the Pro 4 may be a little louder than the Pro 2...not sure.

It may be too loud. That would be a concern for me also. Something in between a Shimano XT and Pro 2 would be nice. Just to know you are riding a machine.

Check out this video...raw sound on Pro 4 hub. Neither I or the Ogre would be performing like this guy.

http://youtu.be/89V3uCgfuco

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    theres no such thing as a hub thats too loud! lets the peasants and simple forest creatures know you are coming!

mtbr member
    Haha...I just think about the long touring days on Citico Creek Road from TN into NC

Or the 30 miles down the Virginia Creeper...don't know if I want to hear that

http://youtu.be/HXTebcnWP6k Citico Creek

http://youtu.be/JV6q9xw6sik Virginia Creeper

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i almost never hear the hope hub i have when im riding really,only on the road really.

mtbr member
    Excellent!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if you want a silent bike try an alfine8 sometime...when i had the ogre set up with the alfine and schwalbe big apples it was like a ninja bike...i just couldnt get it to work with the bob trailer nuts and i need the ogre to tow the trailer...i can use the karate monkey or krampus to tow the trailer but its sooooo much easier on the ogre.

mtbr member
    The bike being silent is not my goal. The Pro 2 may be what I am looking for...or something in between the sound of a Shimano XT hub & Pro 2

mtbr member
    Haha...I just think about the long touring days on Citico Creek Road from TN into NC

Or the 30 miles down the Virginia Creeper...don't know if I want to hear that

http://youtu.be/HXTebcnWP6k Citico Creek

http://youtu.be/JV6q9xw6sik Virginia Creeper
    Doesn't anyone ever ride the Creeper Rail Trail up hill. I'd be damned if I put any of my bikes on a trailer to get scratched up by rental bikes. Any videos I've seen of it people are going down hill. I'm going to try and get down there this year. Any idea what the grade is on the Creeper.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    FWIW i bought a high end rear wheel for my Ogre and it was a Pro 2 hub, damn noisey, i replaced it with an XT. the early morning when you jump on the bike to ride to the toilet at the campsite and i was afraid to freewheel! no chance of sneaking into a camp late afternoon without being noticed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what? you dont like a hub that sounds like a mutant,somewhat angry cicada going "eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh"?

lol,im hoping the pro4evo hubs are even louder! im hoping evo is some metric system measure of how annoyingly loud a hub is so presumably a pro4evo hub has twice as much evo as a pro2!

i can tell you slx level shimano hubs kinda suck,the engagement on an xt is kinda meh but they are also pretty much bombproof,and when you get right down to it degrees of engagement only becomes a factor if you spend a lot of time in rock gardens or super techy riding,otherwise its easy enough to avoid shock loading the hub just by pedaling correctly...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    FWIW i bought a high end rear wheel for my Ogre and it was a Pro 2 hub, damn noisey, i replaced it with an XT. the early morning when you jump on the bike to ride to the toilet at the campsite and i was afraid to freewheel! no chance of sneaking into a camp late afternoon without being noticed.
    Good call switching to XT. After a few mornings of hearing the Hope hub noise, then pooping, you may train your brain in a bad way.

An alternative would of course be to walk to the toilet or camp in the wild and avoid the need to sneak around. Just hold the top tube, lean back and let er' rip.

mtbr member
    I can't be the only one with fancy hubs on my Ogre. With any luck the wheels will last as long as the frame.
    surly ogre-ogre-ck.jpg

Bedwards Of The West
    edit: ^^ Saved the day mere seconds before me cheap hubs here...

Too many pages no pictures.

surly ogre-12806217_10207572194694510_4791479852127829171_n.jpg

surly ogre-screen-shot-2016-03-07-8.37.35-am.jpg
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Did I catch a niner+?
    Well on mine I have a Paul WORD up front and a Nuvinci out back, but not the fanciest hubs I own (I9).
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB29erCurt View Post
    Doesn't anyone ever ride the Creeper Rail Trail up hill. I'd be damned if I put any of my bikes on a trailer to get scratched up by rental bikes. Any videos I've seen of it people are going down hill. I'm going to try and get down there this year. Any idea what the grade is on the Creeper.
    Really! They are going to scratch my bike up? The creeper almost feels flat, but you are going down hill. That's what I have been told.

So noisy hubs may train my brain to poop?!

mtbr member
    Really! They are going to scratch my bike up? The creeper almost feels flat, but you are going down hill. That's what I have been told.

So noisy hubs may train my brain to poop?!
    I don't think you ever seen how some of those bike rental companies load bikes on trailers.
    Really, would you let someone you don't know load your $2000 Ogre on a trailer with other bikes leaning against other bikes?
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    I would Like to take two cars. Drive one up to the top, and leave another at the bottom. Don't know if you could do that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ...i guess i dont mind climbing,indeed i take a certain masochistic delight in it..indeed i went 20 miles out of my way yesterday and knocked off a quick 1000 ft of climbing just to do 7 miles of errands...i even tied my best time on one of the climbs..on my 40lb ogre with a set of panniers...

mtbr member
    I just wouldn't want to do that trail on the weekend. Having all those weekend downhill riders blasting downhill on rent-a-bikes not paying attention and riding side by side. That trail would be a weekday ride for me.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Pedal question: is it customary to have a plastic bushing on a bearing, in the case of a 2 part pedal body?

mtbr member
    Anyone running a mirror on the left side of their Jones loop bar, how is it working out for ya. Got into the 70's in SW Ohio yesterday. Got BUZZED by an A-Hole on my ride to the bikeway. Lot of people around here don't like the new bikes may use full lane law. I was riding next to the curb. Didn't even see them coming. Almost caused me to go down. I'm getting me a GoPro and use it all the time.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Anyone running a mirror on the left side of their Jones loop bar, how is it working out for ya. Got into the 70's in SW Ohio yesterday. Got BUZZED by an A-Hole on my ride to the bikeway. Lot of people around here don't like the new bikes may use full lane law. I was riding next to the curb. Didn't even see them coming. Almost caused me to go down. I'm getting me a GoPro and use it all the time.
    I can't answer about the Jones bar in particular, but, having tried a couple of mirrors on my handlebars with varying, but not spectacular, degrees of success, I switched to a Take-A-Look mirror mounted on my glasses or my helmet and it has been much more useful. Less useful, though, if you wear neither glasses nor a helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
    Less useful, though, if you wear neither glasses nor a helmet.
    If you're living in constant fear of getting rear ended though, a helmet seems wise.
    The Earth Remains - Trip Reports and Adventure Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    If you're living in constant fear of getting rear ended though, a helmet seems wise.
    No doubt. But if the choice is to use a mirror to avoid an accident or use the helmet to survive one, I'd rather avoid the accident. Out of all my pieces of safety gear: helmet, lights, high-vis vest, mirror, the thing I hate being without the most is my mirror.

But, for the OPs issue, it can be very difficult to look in the rear view mirror and tell the difference between a car that is going to pass safely and the car that is not. I have, however, looked in the rear view mirror to see a car speeding up because they didn't want the car that was trying to pass to succeed. That was a clear case of someone who had nowhere to go and no time to slow down, so I got off the road in a hurry. But most of the time the mirror is just for my piece of mind or to simplify lane changes.

mtbr member
    I myself do wear glasses and wear a helmet most of the time, but not all the time. I tried the take-a-look mirrors but those just screw with my astigmatism too much. I have one of those spy mirror that have the rubber strap to mount just about anywhere on a bike, I'll give that a try.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Missing a few important upgrades...you could only imagine

Bad pic...can't even see the Whipperman Chain

Complete By Friday...I hope

I' m having hard time describing how I feel on the bike. It's awesome, and fun all together..

mtbr member
    Very nice Afun. Makes me wish I got the gray frame now. Are your eyelet screws black, or just missing?
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker

mtbr member
    Very nice Afun. Makes me wish I got the gray frame now.
    Let me stop you right there and say....That's possibility one of the greatest flattering comments ever. The Black bike must look pretty awesome too. These bikes are awesome.

Put it this way...I have a 21 foot Malibu Wakesetter VLX that I would gladly sell to spend time on this bike. I am excited!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nice Ogre, I like the gold touches. Haven't seen a lot of Ochre B-17s but on this bike it works. I had bad luck with the VP-001 pedals but I bashed mine on lots of rocks.

Well done! Now instead of fretting about what to get you can stand in your garage, drink beer and admire your new bike. Sell the boat and ride.

mtbr member
    Here is the Brooks Ochre Challege Tool Bag " The Purse ". It fits a crank brothers 19 piece tool set that won't vibrate on you, and a credit card...looks cool

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Looks very cool.

mtbr member
    I like how your eyelet screws are black.
    Curt

20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker