Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1956

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice looking with the drop bars. Leaning towards doing the same to mine over the winter. Is that a M frame?

mtbr member
    Thanks

The frame is an L (20"). With a 60mm stem I got the same ergos I had on the 58cm LHT

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What stem length did you have before?

mtbr member
    I had a 90mm stem on the LHT

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good timing on the post, i'm looking at doing mine too. although i was looking at brifters but now thinking bar ends could be a good option too.

interesting to note the shorter stem as i was thinking how much shorter i'd need to also.

mtbr member
    This conversation about drops on an Ogre makes me think that it sure would be nice if Surly came out with their version of the Fargo. You know, geometry geared towards drops but with the Ogre/ECR/Troll rear. The current version of the Fargo is far removed from what Surly would likely release.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    This conversation about drops on an Ogre makes me think that it sure would be nice if Surly came out with their version of the Fargo. You know, geometry geared towards drops but with the Ogre/ECR/Troll rear. The current version of the Fargo is far removed from what Surly would likely release.
    Would there be much (any?) benefit in something like this? Having ridden dirt drops and Jones, I much prefer the Jones. Lots of hand positions with the benefit of having more places to install gizmo's and bags.

mtbr member
    Converting the Ogre to drops was as easy as comparing it's reach with the LHT and then subtract the difference (30mm) to the stem. The stack was actually nearly the same.

I'd love to try the Jones bars, but they are way to expensive for a set of aluminum handlebars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Converting the Ogre to drops was as easy as comparing it's reach with the LHT and then subtract the difference (30mm) to the stem. The stack was actually nearly the same.

I'd love to try the Jones bars, but they are way to expensive for a set of aluminum handlebars
    For me, sizing it up wouldn't be that simple. I'd require an Ogre with a longer headtube if I wanted to get the bars up where I wanted. Sure, I could just use spacers but already on my LHT I'm on a huge stack of spacer. Also, I don't want to ride a bike with drops and an 80mm stem. I think there's space in Surly's line up for a dedicated dirt drop touring bike without being redundant.

I doubt it'll happen. I guess soon enough (Aug?) we'll know if Surly if releasing any new products this year. I didn't notice they have some new bike colors (Troll, KM) and there are some new socks and hats on offer.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I loved the last 6 months on my LHT, but it was not perfect.
    So I let my LHT and an Ogre have a child and this is their offspring:

Attachment 997551Attachment 997552
    Wow, has it really been six months since you got your LHT?

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Ogre.

mtbr member
    I wanted the same ergos I had on the LHT, so it was easy for me. If I wanted true dirt drop ergos I'll just need a stem with some angle (15-20º?). The current one it has 0º.
    Regarding stem length, many dropbar bikes are being specified already with 70-80mm stems.
    But it's a matter of preference anyway.

What I wanted to say is that it's not that hard nor awkward to build a drop bar Ogre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Wow, has it really been six months since you got your LHT?

I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Ogre.
    Yep, six months. Felt like a couple of year for me, that's how familiar I got with the LHT. almost 100miles per week, so that helped to.

About the Ogre, I already knew the frame, I had one of the early ones in 2012. This new one seems to have some differences, like some extra braze-ons and the chainstays seem to be more curved.

About the ED Coat, seems to be thick and solid, to the point that Surly seems to consider it the main finish of the frame. The paint is absolute crap and chips easily, but it's a Surly so no surprises here

mtbr member

Paid Spam: Frame Set for Sale Medium

I've jumped ship and turned into a Big Dummy. I've got to sell the Ogre frame and some parts to fund it. This frame is for sale in the classifieds here. You can search previous posts by my user name and see how I had it built. It was a rad kid hauling town bike. Frankly, underutilized for it's true potential, but I guess that's one of the beauties of these bikes. Versatility and ass-kicking in any configuration. Truly polyvalent! In any case it is for sale and most of the parts you see (if you look) in the pictures I posted of it in this thread are also available. I'm in a selling mood so feel free to contact me with any requests.

-G

surly ogre-img_2512.jpg
    Last edited by fire_strom; 07-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Journey - Journey Racks - Racks - Products - Axiom Performance Gear
    Anyone fit a Journey Tubular on their Ogre with a larger tire (Big Apple 2.35)? I went for the adjustable at this time but I like the load capacity option on this rack and seems very solid vs adjustable stays.

Anyone?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi.

I have fitted my Ogre with a tubular adjustable, and been happy with it. We also have two of their Uni-fit racks, one on my Pugsley, and one on my wife's Giant 29'r.

We have never carried more than 20lbs on these racks, choosing trailers for big loads, and/or distributing loads to frame and front for handling reasons.

The (adjustable )Axiom racks we use are great. I doubt that we could overload them, and still be able to pedal our bikes.

My adjustable journey fits for 2.5" tires easy.

Please consider moving load to the front, and not worrying how much the Axiom will handle.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbbob View Post
    Hi.

I have fitted my Ogre with a tubular adjustable, and been happy with it. We also have two of their Uni-fit racks, one on my Pugsley, and one on my wife's Giant 29'r.

We have never carried more than 20lbs on these racks, choosing trailers for big loads, and/or distributing loads to frame and front for handling reasons.

The (adjustable )Axiom racks we use are great. I doubt that we could overload them, and still be able to pedal our bikes.

My adjustable journey fits for 2.5" tires easy.

Please consider moving load to the front, and not worrying how much the Axiom will handle.
    Thanks, I will be looking to add a low rider rack to my bike next.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yep, six months. Felt like a couple of year for me, that's how familiar I got with the LHT. almost 100miles per week, so that helped to.

About the Ogre, I already knew the frame, I had one of the early ones in 2012. This new one seems to have some differences, like some extra braze-ons and the chainstays seem to be more curved.

About the ED Coat, seems to be thick and solid, to the point that Surly seems to consider it the main finish of the frame. The paint is absolute crap and chips easily, but it's a Surly so no surprises here
    Have to agree about the paint. Soooo Soofftt.

The ED is what it is all about, for longevity. But, living in SE AK, (we had 10 1/2" of rain last month), I spray BoeShield about every month or two into all the welding vent holes in the frame. Paint, you can spot fix at will. Corrosion protection, not so much.

Cheers
    Kevin.

Did I catch a niner+?
    For those with a rack on the back (which I imagine is most) do you have to space out the rack slighty with small spacers? It seems like the area above the mounting point is wider then where the mount is so it sort of pushes the rack out slightly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    jones loop bars are well worth the money in my book,especially if you are going long distances...

i dont remember using any spacers aside from some washers when mounting the bontager rack on mine...if you want a burly rack get one of the surly racks,you could strap an elephant to one of those things,they do weigh about sifty pounds...

been playing around with this ogre for 2 years now,and thousands of miles,by far this has been my favorite set up running a knard 29x3 up front and a maxxis ardent 2.4 on the back...and this is basically my road bike!
    at 15psi the knard rolls fast and provides great cushioning,plus it just floats over the stray sand pile on the side of the road,and pretty much ready for anyplace i would take this bike..

running it as a kick down 2x9 right now,just put a race face narrow wide 36 tooth up front and have a 24 tooth to kick down to...nice to have that option hauling the trailer..

surly ogre-012.jpgsurly ogre-013.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I decided to add a rear rack to my Ogre. I have the Salsa Wanderlust on my Vaya. I tried it on the Ogre and thought it sat up too high and looked out of place. I researched a bunch of racks and settled on the Blackburn Central. I like the minimalist look, it is adjustable so I could mount it low. I think it looks pretty slick and seems sturdy. It matches up well with the Salsa Minimalist rack on the front.

mtbr member
    Finished project:

surly ogre-img_20150822_141827946_hdr.jpg
    surly ogre-img_20150822_141809016.jpg

Can't stop riding this thing

Did I catch a niner+?

Crappy pic

18in
    Salsa Mukluk Fork
    Nuvinci laced to Salsa Gordo
    Paul Word laced to Stans Flow
    2x Big Apples 2.35
    Cascadia Fenders
    On-One Mary Bars
    BB7s
    Shimano LX
    32x20 gearing

Currently in the process of having a custom frame bag made.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i guess im pretty well done with mine with the addition of a matching blunt35 on the rear,about the only thing left is to slap on the expanded range 10 speed and slx derailleur/shifter from my krampus when i upgrade that to xt 11 speed...
    and i highly recommend the 29x3 tire up front...
    surly ogre-001.jpg

rth009
    May 2010

My New Ogre

I had a bunch of old mtb parts hanging around so when I sold my old mukluk and had room in the garage I picked up an ogre frame to be my townie, kid hauling in chariot/trailabike, and inclement weather bike. I have a set of cascadia 29er fenders and an sks chainboard chain guard to put on it, but I want to get it dialed in and ride it on some single track first. Probably going to need to get a tugnut for the fenders and lose the big chain ring to get the chainguard on.

wheels are DT Swiss X470 with sram 506 hubs from a 2011 Salsa Vaya
    Shimano XT 3x9 drivetrain (much of it was born on 2009 Salsa Big Mama)
    Avid bb7 (from 2012 mukluk 2) with new speed dial 7 levers
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Salsa pro moto handlebar from a 2009 Big Mama
    Salsa seat post and wtb saddle from 2012 Mukluk 2

surly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpg
    Last edited by rth009; 08-24-2015 at 07:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Finished project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150822_141827946_HDR.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1010134
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150822_141809016.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	1010133

Can't stop riding this thing
    I know you've gone thru a series of bikes trying to find the right one for your needs. Do you think the Ogre is your final stop for awhile?

Also, since we've discussed bikes in several threads, I finally decided on the Ogre's older brother, the Karate Monkey. I got the frameset on Friday and built it up on Saturday. So far, I absolutely love it!

mtbr member
    Hello Corwin,

Glad to know you pulled the trigger on that one.

Yes, my Ogre should be with me for a while. It does everything I need.
    I'm rejoining with my former mtb crew, so I'm riding a lot more singletrack than I used to on my Camargue/LHT days.

mtbr member
    I'd love to get my hands on a used XXL Ogre. If anyone sees one or has one let me know. Or if you're interested in trading for a 64cm Disc Trucker.
    The Earth Remains - Trip Reports and Adventure Photography

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am getting back into cycling after a long period of being involved in other activities and I'm looking into doing my own Ogre build for touring on dirt/gravel/paved roads as well as some easy single track. This is my first time doing my own build starting from just a frameset.

My question may be somewhat naive so please forgive me. In looking at the Frame Highlights for the Ogre it states that Chainring Clearance is 26/36/46t. I have not found a good explanation of what exactly is "chainring clearance" but I may have the basic idea. However, does the spec from Surly indicate that I cannot run any chainring smaller than 26t and that running a 24/36/48 crankset, for example, would not be possible ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ^that refers to max size. Anything smaller would fit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Oh, I get it now. That makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks alot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The 48 might be too big and run too close to the chainstays, but sometimes those published numbers are conservative and you can get away with something a little bigger. If you're getting it built at a shop ask them if they could try it with something they have in stock.

That being said, 48/11 is something I only use when flying down hill and that's on 2.0" tires. Bigger tires would be even taller so I wouldn't bother with such a high gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Cut View Post
    My question may be somewhat naive so please forgive me. In looking at the Frame Highlights for the Ogre it states that Chainring Clearance is 26/36/46t. I have not found a good explanation of what exactly is "chainring clearance" but I may have the basic idea. However, does the spec from Surly indicate that I cannot run any chainring smaller than 26t and that running a 24/36/48 crankset, for example, would not be possible ??

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hey Steel Cut,
    I'm not sure why Surly state that a 46 is the largest chainring that will fit, I'm running a Deore FC-M590 crankset with 26-36-48 (trekking) rings with no problems on my Ogre.

Here is a pic of my Ogre but doesn't give detail of the chainring clearance, can get a pic the clearance up later...

mtbr member
    I used the same crankset (48/36/26) on my KM, which should be the same deal as the Ogre.

But hey, Steel Cut - just a suggestion... I quickly switched that crankset out for a 38/26 double. If you calculate out the ratios you'll see you get two longer ratios which don't work out too well with large tires i.e. they are kinda long except for going down hills. The real advantage is you'll wind up pedaling most of your road tours with a better chainline - if I hadn't broke my big ring and FD on some ST, I probably would have kept it as it was, but I liked the 2X better.
    Like a fart in a mitten...

likes beer
    Last edited by manida; 09-08-2015 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    First time poster, cycling n00bert here. Excellent forum you guys have and great thread! Bike shopping!: I’d like to make use of the miles of multi-use paths and well packed, dirt trails just outside my front door and walking is getting boring. As a minimalist, I’m looking to purchase a 29er bike that is well-made, has good lines, rigid frame, durable, large, potential for re-sale value (maybe), and not too flashy. I’m 6’ tall and 225# and would rather not wrench on a bike often, despite my gear-savvy roots. I did ride an Ogre last week, and man was that thing smooth!! But the $1,600 part, do I really have to lay out that kind of cheddar for a decent bike? I have no problem doing so, other than the initial sting if the value is there. I like nice things and don’t have many, so can you guys recommend me a bike? Is there an alternative for my needs I should be considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance…May be commuting 7 miles but probably never bikepacking. Many thanks! Are you happy with your bike/glad you bought it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    repeat post deleted
    Last edited by highplainsrider; 09-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Did I catch a niner+?
    If you're looking to ride the crushed limestone trails that are flat and easy in your area then any bike will do, I say this assuming you want to ride the trails you are walking.

If you have something specific to attach to a bike or want to do with it then we can talk about the Ogre and if it is right for you. If the price is a sting you could look at used on your local forums or CL I am sure there are plenty of already built up options.

Currently my ogre is pulling commuter duties with a rack, pannier, frame bag, comfy bars, IGH, reflective things, and lights galore. Gets me to and from work, around the city, to class with books and generally anywhere I want to go. I even did a road group ride with it when I didn't feel like pulling out the road bike one day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    First time poster, cycling n00bert here. Excellent forum you guys have and great thread! Bike shopping!: I’d like to make use of the miles of multi-use paths and well packed, dirt trails just outside my front door and walking is getting boring. As a minimalist, I’m looking to purchase a 29er bike that is well-made, has good lines, rigid frame, durable, large, potential for re-sale value (maybe), and not too flashy. I’m 6’ tall and 225# and would rather not wrench on a bike often, despite my gear-savvy roots. I did ride an Ogre last week, and man was that thing smooth!! But the $1,600 part, do I really have to lay out that kind of cheddar for a decent bike? I have no problem doing so, other than the initial sting if the value is there. I like nice things and don’t have many, so can you guys recommend me a bike? Is there an alternative for my needs I should be considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance…May be commuting 7 miles but probably never bikepacking. Many thanks! Are you happy with your bike/glad you bought it?
    the ogre is well worth the money,2+ years and i still havent broken any parts or had a single problem,great bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the reply Mr Pink. Funny you should mention CL. After looking for weeks and giving up ... Wa Laa! Ogre for sale ridden 7 times with extras -- temping!! It's the only one and price is $50 off from new, but some extras. We shall see.

I particularly like your reflective tire - that makes a lot of sense. For me, the only thing specific I'd like to attach is led lights galore, of every kind and maybe a 64 oz cage.

hamsterspam- good review, glad to hear it. I can't work on bikes because a) i don't know anything about them, and b) all my tools were recently stolen. So durability is paramount coupled with the fact that I'm not easy on machinery... it gets used proper!
    Excited for the future....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i didnt know a thing about working on bikes until i got the ogre,now i do 90% of my own wrenching...
    i dont own a car and the ogre plus a BOB trailer is enough to deal with 95% of what i need to haul while still being fun to ride.its proven to be a tough,versatile bike thats done duty as everything from a skinny tire road bike to knobby tire off road machine.it really is a matter of just bolting some different parts on to have a whole different bike...
    i liked it so much i ended up with 4 surlys...

Did I catch a niner+?
    I particularly like your reflective tire - that makes a lot of sense. For me, the only thing specific I'd like to attach is led lights galore, of every kind and maybe a 64 oz cage.

This is what my mother did to her fat bike, just an idea.

I have a LED piece that can go on the downtube that is battery operated. As far as the sides, I do take it very serious as to not be hit. The tires are just big apples reflex. My winter schwalbes are also reflective. This is also why I bought the sunlite wheel reflectors in the largest size they have.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    out for a day of trail maintenance on the trusty ogre

surly ogre-dscf0961.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Nice bikes y'all! The complete Large Ogres in tanish gray have sold out for 2015,, so I think we have a build in progress -- sort of an impromptu, organic, free-form approach but hoping for good things by weeks end. ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Orge has arrived!! Used as close to stock components as possible: Shimano Deore, Avid brakes, Micro shifters, Ardent tire, DT rims and a Jones Bend Bar with Ergo grips. I don't care how 'heavy' anyone thinks the bike is: it's solid, with near perfect geometry and rides super-nice.

What's anyone done about where the optional rim brakes attach? I'm fearful of loosing the plastic covers. The stud is on there pretty tight, is it supposed to come off? What are the thread details of where a bolt could go into the stud, or frame? Anyone know what I mean? What do?? Many thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What's anyone done about where the optional rim brakes attach? I'm fearful of loosing the plastic covers. The stud is on there pretty tight, is it supposed to come off? What are the thread details of where a bolt could go into the stud, or frame? Anyone know what I mean? What do?? Many thanks
    Yeah from memory that thread is a little oddball and I gave up trying to replace them with my original vision of stainless allen key headed bolts to match the forks "warts" (cage/rack mount holes) I filled. I've left the rear as is, but the front, I've mated the brake bosses to a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. I had to move the "stay" which mounts at the fork crown but that was it to make it fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Yeah from memory that thread is a little oddball and I gave up trying to replace them with my original vision of stainless allen key headed bolts to match the forks "warts" (cage/rack mount holes) I filled. I've left the rear as is, but the front, I've mated the brake bosses to a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. I had to move the "stay" which mounts at the fork crown but that was it to make it fit.
    Hmm ok, thanks. Yes, none of the other stainless warts were threaded for the brake bosses... good to know you didn't find anything for there, maybe it's a custom thread? If not, I may have them in inventory but reluctant to look...or use anything galvanized.

I will leave them intact for 'future prosperity.'

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hmm ok, thanks. Yes, none of the other stainless warts were threaded for the brake bosses... good to know you didn't find anything for there, maybe it's a custom thread? If not, I may have them in inventory but reluctant to look...or use anything galvanized.

I will leave them intact for 'future prosperity.'
    I knew I'd asked the same question myself.

Had a squiz and viola:
    Thread holding in Surly Ogre brake bosses.

I went back through my emails and confirm it was Ben from Surly who said the thread sizing was m10x1mm threading.

Let me know if you find some stainless allen key headed bolts or similar of that thread.
    I had no joy when I was looking but that was back at 06-24-2013 and things change.
    Whats not available today might be tomorrow.

Good luck with the search.

Edit:
    An indépendant confirmation of thread sizing of brake boss:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cantilever-Stu.../dp/B001GSONNA

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I knew I'd asked the same question myself.

Had a squiz and viola:
    Thread holding in Surly Ogre brake bosses.

I went back through my emails and confirm it was Ben from Surly who said the thread sizing was m10x1mm threading.

Let me know if you find some stainless allen key headed bolts or similar of that thread.
    I had no joy when I was looking but that was back at 06-24-2013 and things change.
    Whats not available today might be tomorrow.

Good luck with the search.

Edit:
    An indépendant confirmation of thread sizing of brake boss:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cantilever-Stu.../dp/B001GSONNA
    Um hmm, thanks for sharing the useful info - I can trust anyone with that name.. No luck searching inventory here. However, I'm training for a 14 mile roundtrip ride into town this weekend where there are no less than a dozen LBS so I'll ask around.

Re: the Amazon link and this part Amazon.com : BRAKE PART BOSS PLUG OR8 M103-M10x1.0 BK : Bike Brake Mounts And Adapters : Sports & Outdoors

So the bosses will thread out, and this would thread into the frame? Not laying out that kind of cash for a bolt, but theoretically that's how it would work? I'd like that better than what's on there now..

Cheers,
    Excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    U
    Re: the Amazon link and this part
    So the bosses will thread out, and this would thread into the frame? Not laying out that kind of cash for a bolt, but theoretically that's how it would work? I'd like that better than what's on there now..

Cheers,
    Excellent bikes.
    I'd assume so.
    The thread is the same as whats stated so I can't see a reason why not.
    Of course you check before tossing your brake bosses.
    In fact even if they do fit fine, I'd hang onto the bosses in case down the track you decided to go back to v-brakes or decided to sell your frame.

mtbr member
    Normally I wouldn't cross-post...but it's relevant and likely to be overlooked otherwise.

Origin8 10x1 Brake Boss Plugs

surly ogre-img_20151012_094946.jpg

surly ogre-img_20151012_095008.jpg
    Assistant Manager and Body Geometry Fit Technician; Gator Cycle