Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 1956

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by notequal View Post
    My LBS asked me if I wanted to order some Jones Bars for the Ogre, but like you said, I think it would make it too cramped.
    I'm running mine with an On-One Fleegle bar and 90mm stem, this bar seems to lengthen cockpit because of the 20mm forward offset.
    On-One Fleegle Handlebar | On - One

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    My LBS asked me if I wanted to order some Jones Bars for the Ogre, but like you said, I think it would make it too cramped.
    This is actually a fairly common misconception. The main hand position on h-bars puts your hands, and body, is the same position, reach wise, as a standard flat/riser bar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    This is actually a fairly common misconception. The main hand position on h-bars puts your hands, and body, is the same position, reach wise, as a standard flat/riser bar.
    I agree. I've run jones loops on several bikes without having to swap stems.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just looking at them, my gut feeling would be that it would move my arms closer to my torso, thereby making me feel cramped. I wish I could test it out now that you tell me that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im 6'6" and have the jones loop bars on my xl ogre and xxl moonlander and i never felt cramped,even with a set of frame bags on yesterday riding the moony through some rocky singletrack i never felt cramped...about to pick up a third set for the karate monkey that i run as a single speed...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    im 6'6" and have the jones loop bars on my xl ogre and xxl moonlander and i never felt cramped,even with a set of frame bags on yesterday riding the moony through some rocky singletrack i never felt cramped...about to pick up a third set for the karate monkey that i run as a single speed...
    Sheesh! You need to ask Jeff about stock in his company!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i had never really had a bike that fitted me comfortably before i got the ogre,and over longer distances i could never stay comfortable for very long due to a wonky back,bad elbow and bad shoulder until i put the jones loop bars on....so you bet,im happy to support a small company that makes a good product,i dunno if surly qualifies but i own 4 of them now.(i have a krampus as well,and yes,i will be getting a set for the krampus at some point..)

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Just looking at them, my gut feeling would be that it would move my arms closer to my torso, thereby making me feel cramped. I wish I could test it out now that you tell me that.
    Jones bars have pretty good resale value. Shouldn't be much of a loss if you decide you don't like them.
    Last edited by big_papa_nuts; 02-28-2015 at 10:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Jones bars have pretty good resale value. Should be much of a loss if you decide you don't like them.
    Seems like I don't have many more excuses left to not at least try them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm looking for a used 18" (M) Ogre frame set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Never mind.
    Last edited by flatfendershop; 03-02-2015 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Got my Ogre build finished and took it for a test ride. Build it up using mostly parts I already had in the shop. Not sure about the Blackburn handlebar roll. We'll see how it holds up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hello, looking at orge frame I have short legs. 25 5/8 inches from center of bb to seat now with 170 crank. Have a 29.8 inseam and I am 5,8. Nowhere to test one around here at moment.. I have 9.5 shoes and am worried about toe overlap on the 16. The 18 is similair to my old diamondback allure. Wondering if I can get some input and maybe pics of a 16 and 18 next to each other. I like the low top tube. Thanks a lot for any info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Terry66. What size bag is that on your Anything cage ? How's it working
    out with tire clearance ? Nice looking ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Got my Ogre build finished and took it for a test ride. Build it up using mostly parts I already had in the shop. Not sure about the Blackburn handlebar roll. We'll see how it holds up.

What is the frame size and do you know the saddle height in these photos? I would ride a medium (18") with a 75cm saddle height and this looks like it might be close.

mtbr member

Ogre For Sale in Classifieds *PAID SPAM*

surly ogre-image2.jpg
    Paid Spam: Selling my beloved Ogre. It is just too small for how I use it and I want a long tail cargo bike.
    -G

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsgroovin View Post
    Hey Terry66. What size bag is that on your Anything cage ? How's it working
    out with tire clearance ? Nice looking ride.
    That is my Thermarest pad...I am guessing 3-4L? I also have a 5L and no clearance issues.

Corwin....I'd say it is a tad under 74cm. The frame is an 18"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Rear Fender and the Direct mount front Derailleur.

Does it work with one set of Monkey Nuts now or do you still need two ?
    I ordered a set of Cascadia fenders then did a search for installation that led to the Surly blog and got to the end and he mentioned a direct mount front derailleur and adaptor. Now I can see why the change from low clamp. Can anybody save me $50 ?
    Also thank you Terry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Tubus on Ogre

…,.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    rookie at this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Attachment 832381
    After three weeks of rubbish weather, last night was a pearler with it being windless and dry.
    It was a joy to head out for a 40km ride after so long a break from the saddle

I'm still waiting on some bracketry to install my rear fender and I've added an Abus Amparo 4850 frame lock since I last posted.
    Oh and I invested in a stand which is very much in the vein of a tent pole in that it has six segments and a center elasticated cord to hold it together when in use.
    Click-Stand The Only Portable Folding Bicycle Kickstand! which I'm very happy with
    The Click Stand, now I'm sure to get one for my Ogre. Question for you, I am planning on adding a Tubus Cosmo SS, like the one your bike is sporting, any advise on what accessories I'll need to mount the rack on my Ogre? Is there a kit with extensions or bushings to make the rack fit correctly? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
    Jesse

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ,./

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcova58 View Post
    The Click Stand, now I'm sure to get one for my Ogre. Question for you, I am planning on adding a Tubus Cosmo SS, like the one your bike is sporting, any advise on what accessories I'll need to mount the rack on my Ogre? Is there a kit with extensions or bushings to make the rack fit correctly? I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
    Jesse
    G'day Jesse,
    man its been over a year since I put my bike together and I'm struggling to remember.
    I think I bought a Tubus kit for it which would have allowed me to raise the rack upwards.
    I don't think I ended up using it at all as the Cosmo fitted fine and had no clearance issues.
    I was initially worried due to using a 60mm tire and no one could tell me for sure whether or not it would fit ok without raising the rack.
    All the bits I needed were included in the Cosmo packaging which I got from bike24.net.
    When putting it together, I'd recommend you do it on a light coloured floor due to the included spacers and washers being small easy to miss if you drop them.
    The included fitment kit was all stainless which was nice and the spacers were black plastic from memory.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    G'day Jesse,
    man its been over a year since I put my bike together and I'm struggling to remember.
    I think I bought a Tubus kit for it which would have allowed me to raise the rack upwards.
    I don't think I ended up using it at all as the Cosmo fitted fine and had no clearance issues.
    I was initially worried due to using a 60mm tire and no one could tell me for sure whether or not it would fit ok without raising the rack.
    All the bits I needed were included in the Cosmo packaging which I got from bike24.net.
    When putting it together, I'd recommend you do it on a light coloured floor due to the included spacers and washers being small easy to miss if you drop them.
    The included fitment kit was all stainless which was nice and the spacers were black plastic from memory.
    Thanks for your response, appreciate the info.
    Jesse

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcova58 View Post
    Thanks for your response, appreciate the info.
    Jesse
    No worries.
    I'm very happy with the Cosmo and would buy it again in a heartbeat if I needed a rear rack.
    No regrets at all about buying it.
    No paint to touch up and no unsightly rust degrading my bikes looks which are important to me.
    I'm more motivated to look after gear in good initial condition rather than do up rough worn stuff.
    Its a brushed look to the stainless rather than a high polish but it still complements my black frame nicely in my opinion and doesn't look out of place next to my polished stainless fenders.
    I used locktite on all the stainless fittings and nothing has come loose yet.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    New member and about to pull the trigger on an Ogre this week. I'm 5'7" and wear a 30" inseam. I have long arms, about 5'11" wingspan. My LBS didn't have an Ogre in stock (no one seems to in Iowa) but they had me test ride a rockhopper with very similar geometry to an 18" Ogre. The bike felt good, it had a straight bar, rather than the Jones bar, but the position was so different than what I'm used to and I didn't have a smaller option to try, so I assumed the 18 was the way to go. Then I started reading up and it seems everybody riding the 18" is 5'10" and up with a 32-33" inseam.

Should I be getting the 16" instead? It's actually cheaper, because it's a year older and comes in the green.

My biggest question is, what is easier to deal with, the 16" being a little small or the 18" being a little big?

Thank you in advance!

greg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I am 5'11" and my 18" ogre feels right. Never feels small or too big. Its hard to say whats right but hopefully some 16" owners will give you some feedback. I have a 31.5 inseam and a 5'9" and bit wingspan. 16" may be the best choice?

mtbr member
    I'm a hair under 6'. With 33" inseam. The 18" feels too small for me. Not drastically but enough that I'm selling it. And getting a 20".
    -G

mtbr member
    Being tall torso'd myself, I fall in between size ranges as well. I always opt for the bigger size because you can do things with stems and other adjustments that you can't always do on a smaller frame. Toe overlap can be an issue going with a smaller sized frame too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey iowa_ogre you say you wear a 30" inseam, is that your cycling inseam ? My cycling inseam is 33.5" but I wear 32" pants and am 5' 11.5" tall. I looked at the Karate Monkey thread and at the time it seemed like a lot of people with my numbers were on 18" due to using the bike as an full-on mtb.

I went with the 20" because my intent is road, touring, gravel etc. and I don't "flick" my bike around.

I also had to test ride other bikes and looked at the measurements online and went with what felt good.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks everyone for the replies. My cycling inseam is probably more like 31-31.5". And because of the risk of toe overlap (especially with fenders) I think I'm going to stick with the 18". It's got a 100mm stem so I could shorten that if needed.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Post something after you get your bike and have done some miles on it. Theres always people pondering size issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hi iowa_ogre, I'm just shy of 6' tall, and have an inseam of 33", I went with an 18" ogre and it fits fine.
    My ape index is approx. 1 so my arm span is about the same as my height, my ogre is set up with a 90mm stem and my seat height from BB to top of seat at the middle of the seatpost is 29".
    My riding position is not stretched out but my seat is roughly level with my bars so it is moderately aggressive.
    There is a pic of my bike here to give you an idea:
    Ogre Build Thread

mtbr member
    Hello all

Regarding square tapper BBs on the Ogre, would a 73x113 do fine?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Depends almost entirely on the cranks you're using.

mtbr member
    Shimano Deore M510

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Hello all

Regarding square tapper BBs on the Ogre, would a 73x113 do fine?

Thanks
    Thats the size of my Ogres square taper UN73 BB (73x113) I use for my Thorn cranks with 34T ring for my Rohloff.
    Unsure about your Shimano cranks, not having them, but I can at least vouch for the thread size and that it will fit your frame ok.
    As far as the Shimano BB's go, the UN73 is, I believe, their top square taper which came out on high level groupsets back in the day when square taper was king.
    Jensonusa.com was where I got mine from cheap as chips compared to anywhere else I could find.

mtbr member
    Thanks

I was spoiled by years of external BBs, so I don't have much experience picking ST BBs.
    For my LHT I just went for the 68mm and picked a length by the middle (113mm). The crank ended with a perfect chainline.

I can't find the UN73 anywhere here (EU). UN55s on the other hand are plenty and cheap

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was thinking of purchasing an ECR but maybe the new XT M-8000 group will allow me to run bigger tyres in the rear of my Ogre. (Boost cranks with 51.8mm? chainline as opposed to standard 48.8mm? Plus side swing front Der).
    Could clearance of 2.75in be achievable? Maybe then use a 3in branded tyre that is not REALLY 3in. Issues?
    Any thoughts / ideas - thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Thanks

I was spoiled by years of external BBs, so I don't have much experience picking ST BBs.
    For my LHT I just went for the 68mm and picked a length by the middle (113mm). The crank ended with a perfect chainline.
    I can't find the UN73 anywhere here (EU). UN55s on the other hand are plenty and cheap
    Why are you changing from external to square taper?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with square taper.
    Just wondered if you'd damaged your cranks in a fall or something

The UN55 is the next model down and still a great BB.
    There are a few models south of the 55 and I'd be happy to have one.
    I bought my frame and rims from Jenson so it was nothing to add in a couple of small items which didn't affect the postage.

I know ordering when in the Eu there is all sorts of taxes etc to take into account.

We're lucky here in Au that not only do we not pay VAT, but on orders from EU, under $1K Au, we don't pay any import duty or GST.

Saying that, the Au$ has tanked compared to the US$ and we've gone from around Au$1 to $1.20 US to currently Au $0.79 to US $1.00.
    So won't be making any US purchases for a while.

Was considering a Pass n Stow Porteur rack but US$250.00 adds up to around $312.00 Au plus postage which gives me pause for breath

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    surly ogre-fb_img_1433096752837.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im currently running my ogre in "krogre mode" with a knard 29x3 up front laced to a blunt35 rim and a maxxis ardent 2.4 on the original alex adventurer rim in the back with the stock 3x9 setup,a pair of monkey nuts installed and no clearance issues with that setup...have to say im very pleased with this setup,this is my day to day bike that also sees some light trail duty and for mainly road based touring but this is actually my favorite set up on the road so far,had this bike for almost 2 years and easily 6 different tire set ups,everything from 40c to schwalbe big apples (second fave,no traction in sand though...) to several kinds of knobbies...

the krogre stomps them all...

i also have a krunkey,the blunt 35's spread the maxxis ardents out a bit wider..surly ogre-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Why are you changing from external to square taper?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with square taper.
    Just wondered if you'd damaged your cranks in a fall or something

The UN55 is the next model down and still a great BB.
    Hi,
    Sorry for my late answer, I missed your reply.
    I assembled the LHT with a square tapper because of the cranks I had lying around. I'm now replacing the LHT with an Ogre and I'm keeping the cranks.
    From my experience, square tapper is drop dead reliable and cheap

Matzthias, do you have more pics of your Ogre? That's a really nice setup. How does it goes with the front load?

Hamsterspam, I keep seeing pics where the 2.4 Ardents when mounted on wide rims look almost close the Knards size. What's you experience?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    my impression is they set up wider on the blunt35 rim.
    surly ogre-001.jpgsurly ogre-002.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Most recent Ogre configuration. Rabbit holes, Knard up front, Ardent in the back.

mtbr member
    Anyone saw this?:
    El Mar as 29+

How do the Mariachi and the Ogre compare in terms of tire clearance?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by efuss View Post
    I was able to squeeze Gravity Vidars on Blunt 35's into my Ogre, pics here:
    largest tire possible on a ogre
    Here's someone doing that with an ogre

mtbr member
    Nice,

I was surprised that the Vee Trax were not "squeezed" in the El Mar, but rather fitting

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Surly ogre flickr pool

Feel free to add your photos to . . .
    SURLY OGRE FLICKR POOL

surly ogre-18535640600_b588f7ac4d_z.jpg

mtbr member
    I loved the last 6 months on my LHT, but it was not perfect.
    So I let my LHT and an Ogre have a child and this is their offspring:

surly ogre-img_20150622_201419777_hdr.jpgsurly ogre-img_20150622_201447781_hdr.jpg