Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    that picture makes me want to singlespeed my Ogre, which would not be very practical for my purposes.
    Probably not wise if you're using it for trailer pulling duties I might be ok with that, as it's flat around where I live. I'm still using my LHT for an everyday working bike at the moment, so I'm in no rush to change.

I might reconsider once I get around to buying a trailer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Right then, here's my British based Ogre to add to the mix.

It's a bit clean here, as it had only just been built. I keep forgetting to take my camera on rides though
    Hi,

Where are you bought your 24" Surly ogre ?

All the best,

Lucien

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lusss View Post
    Hi,

Where are you bought your 24" Surly ogre ?

All the best,

Lucien
    Hi Lucien, I bought my Ogre frameset from Triton Cycles, in the UK.

SURLY Ogre Frameset :: 386.99 :: Frames & Forks :: Frames - 29ers :: Triton Cycles

I did have to wait 6 months due to a lack of availability in the 24" size though. Triton only deliver inside the UK & dont be fooled by their "in stock" display on their website, as it's sadly, rarely accurate. If you're in Europe? Then you could order one through Charlie the Bikemonger. A very helpful chap, who has a good reputation.

Surly Ogre 29er Frame Forks

Both these shops would order the frame through the UK distributor for Surly, Ison Distribution.

Ison Distribution

I see that Ison are showing a 24" Green in stock at the moment. Their stock levels are usually quite accurate.

If you're based in the US, or elsewhere, then I'm afraid that I don't know.

Good luck in your quest to obtain one

Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Hi Lucien, I bought my Ogre frameset from Triton Cycles, in the UK.

SURLY Ogre Frameset :: 386.99 :: Frames & Forks :: Frames - 29ers :: Triton Cycles

I did have to wait 6 months due to a lack of availability in the 24" size though. Triton only deliver inside the UK & dont be fooled by their "in stock" display on their website, as it's sadly, rarely accurate. If you're in Europe? Then you could order one through Charlie the Bikemonger. A very helpful chap, who has a good reputation.

Surly Ogre 29er Frame Forks

Both these shops would order the frame through the UK distributor for Surly, Ison Distribution.

Ison Distribution

I see that Ison are showing a 24" Green in stock at the moment. Their stock levels are usually quite accurate.

If you're based in the US, or elsewhere, then I'm afraid that I don't know.

Good luck in your quest to obtain one

Pete
    Got mine from bike-components.de Waited only few weeks.
    https://www.bike-components.de/advan...s=surly%20ogre

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice

mtbr member

Larger Frame

I have my new Ogre 22" frame coming on Friday. I will post picks of the build as soon as they are available. I have a great condition 20" Ogre frame up for sale if anyone is interested.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~ H.G. Wells

dying hurts.
    took some glamour shots today!

Last edited by johnny the boy; 12-13-2012 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can on the last photo.

dying hurts.
    ?@#$%^ technology!

mtbr member
    That's a sweet Ogre.

mtbr member
    Sweet Ogre!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Sweet Ogre!
    Having secound thoughts on the Pugs?

mtbr member
    Sorry for the double post y'all. First one timed out but I guess it went through.

As for the Pugs, yes, I've decided against that plan. Since I'd typically be running skinnier tires, the offset wheelset factor scared me off. I only have the budget to maintain one bike at the moment, rarely see snow here, and like to do long rides, sometimes with upwards of 50 miles of pavement. Ogre still makes the most sense.

To be honest, when the budget improves I think the Ogre may turn into a Disc Trucker and Karate Monkey. Maybe some day the dedicated fat bike will even be in the cards...
    Last edited by mattbryant2; 12-14-2012 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Fargo fork on an Ogre?

Has anyone tried a Fargo fork (V1 or V2) on an Ogre? I've reread through this whole thread and elsewhere on the internet, and while there is some speculation, I have not found anyone who has actually tried it.

mtbr member
    Funny you mention the Fargo fork... I have been seriously considering a V2 fork, which should work much better with the Ogre geometry than the V1. Just a bit more offset is all. About 200 grams lighter than the Ogre fork, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And the Fargo fork has forward facing dropouts, which are better if using disc brakes. If you do try it out, please post photos and your impressions.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by sbruton7 View Post
    Has anyone tried a Fargo fork (V1 or V2) on an Ogre? I've reread through this whole thread and elsewhere on the internet, and while there is some speculation, I have not found anyone who has actually tried it.
    A mechanic at Performance Bicycles in the U-District (Seattle) has done exactly this; Fargo V2 fork on a Surly Ogre. Stands out because the paint scheme doesn't match up and there's only 4 or so Ogre's running around Seattle at the moment. He had no issues with handling, and did it for the disk brake thing. The weight decrease was rather nice though.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    happy with it except for the flat front tire ;D

dying hurts.
    what's up with those additional rack mounts on the fork, right under the crown?

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    what's up with those additional rack mounts on the fork, right under the crown?
    no freaking idea.

maybe for 50mm cannons?

anyways, it is a great ride!

mtbr member
    I guess those mounts are an addition for 2013, my 2012 didn't had them.
    I have those on my Pugs, they are really cool if you want to mount a rear rack on the fork

mtbr member

Christmas for Me!

Here is my new Ogre build. So far I have made these upgrades to the original bike from parts I had laying around:

-Planet Bike Fenders
    -PDW rear rack
    - Chris King Headset
    -Thomson seatpost, stem
    -Surly Woodchipper Handlebars with shimano bar end shifters and Cane creek brake levers
    -Broos B-17 narrow
    - Arundel SS bottle cages times 3
    - Shimano A530 pedals

The next purchase will probably be Schwalbe Big Ben tires then a front rack (probably a Surly), followed by a new front wheel build with generator hub.

It rides well and fits really well with with the Woodchipper bar set up. I am going to lower the stem about 10 to 15 mm but I will probably leave the steerer tube uncut for future aging.

I am very happy with it so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-dscn1567.jpg  

mtbr member

Commute in the Oregon rain.

Running errands in the rain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-pc230542.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Merry Christmas to you indeed!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er

Finally "finished" a bike that I've been designing in my head for the last 3 years, but things have only come good in the last month or so for me to actually start doing this.

1) Son28 (2012) 32H hub laced with 14G straight gauge Wheelsmith blanks. Straight gauge spokes were selected for their higher availability. They're connected to a Pedalpower+ iUniversal cable and Supernova E3 Triple light.
    2) Revelate Designs frame bag. Inside is a Pedalpower+ v4i battery, tools & a lock.
    3) Rohloff Speedhub (2012) disk brake quick-release axle with external gear mech. I elected to run Delta Axlerodz skewers instead of quick releases as the front hub uses 5mm Allen key heads already and I rather like them, and the existing quick release lever wasn't even close to strong enough.
    4) Chris King NoThreadset headset, Thompson stem, butterfly touring bars plus a nice little SRAM bell mounted behind the stem. I also have the Edge 800 mounted on the stem; with the cut steerer tube it allows me to plug a mini-USB from the Pedalpower+ system in to the charging port of the Edge 800 while still keeping the handlebars totally clear. I can run it almost continually without having to plug it in to a charger, the only issue now being running out of storage space on the device for workouts and possibly a little manual management of power. I also have the v4i battery pack in there, which allows me to charge devices at 700 mA & 5V, which is standard USB output.

While the system is charging, the Son28's power is split between the two circuits running in parallel (E3 light & v4i battery) which greatly reduces the effectiveness of the system, so I tend to disconnect parts of the circuit during the darker months. For 3 season bikepacking though, this would work really well, especially if at least 3 hours of riding is done with the headlight turned off (that would be enough to charge a standard cellphone ~70%).

More photos:

Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 36 ... LastLast