Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
Results 2,201 to 2,252 of 2252

Thread: surly ogre

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    dfltroll, do you have a gps track for the the route you did up in the gifford pinchot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxfixed View Post
    dfltroll, do you have a gps track for the the route you did up in the gifford pinchot?
    I don't. I just use maps. I had ridden out there before. I rode out of Sunset Falls Campground on FS Rd 42 to where it intersects with 4220 and then back. You can actually do a loop--42-4220--41. Just futz around on Google Maps.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Very cool, I'll have to check that out, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Count me in...

Picked it up a week ago. I've added a shorter stem (75mm), different grips, seat post and saddle. Rides really nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Decided to convert my 3x9 2014 medium Ogre to a 2x10 GX drop bar. Bars are Cowchippers. Always felt slightly cramped on the medium frame. Switched to a 60mm stem with drops. I am really happy with the setup

Before

After

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HI Terry, thats super nice, I really like the drop bar setup on an Ogre. What gearing are you running.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey Oz...38/24 with 11/40 cassette. That gives some ridiculous low gear of like 17.5 gear inches. The cassette was one I already had in the parts bin. I'll prob swap it out at some point
    Last edited by Terry66; 10-22-2017 at 04:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I am wondering what peopleís opinions are on the mokolo bar vs the jones bar.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Howdy, new to the forum, and am definitely not a bike expert, so please forgive my lack of knowledge! I have a road bike (Felt Z 85), and am looking to buy an all purpose bike, to be used mainly as a commuter, go to the store, cruise around town, etc. bike, but also would like to venture into some bikepacking and touring, maybe do a bit off road.

I have visited several LBS and test road numerous bikes. Prior to doing this the Ogre wasn't even on my radar. But after riding numerous makes and models I kept coming back to the Ogre. It just feels right for me and I'm pretty locked in on buying one. My problem is that most shops do not have it in stock, and it's not available until late November at the earliest (so I'm told). I found one shop that has a 2016 available in my size, and I much prefer the Jones H bar to the new Surly bar (based only on the look), but I think that's a pretty minor issues. I have read extensively about the bike, and the recent changes. I have no desire to add suspension. But wondering if those of you in the know can elaborate on their personal feelings about the differences between the 2016 and the updated model. Is it worth it for me to wait and find a new model? Pros and cons of each model? Any input is greatly appreciated. Again, I'm not a technical expert and a lot of what I read in this thread flies right over my head!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would say go for it,the new model doesnt really offer anything too radical in the way of upgrades aside from maybe the extraterrestrail tires but they fit the older models just fine...i have like 10000 miles on my ogre at this point,its perfect as a town bike and is also well proven out on the road and built like a tank...aside from a few scuffs mine still looks like a new bike...it does everything pretty darn well...
    the only bad point,the ride is a bit harsh with just the bare bike,out some weight on it and it gets far more comfy...

mtbr member
    I've ridden with the Jones H bar and my (2017) Ogre came with the Mokolo. The latter gives a slightly different hand position due to the horns. The horns allow pretending to have gun and rocket switches for bad drivers, or that you're flying like Superman, just by a slight shift of the palms. Outside of those horns, I don't find much difference between them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    New model is boost spacing, 168+ q factor cranks only. My old 158 q m9000 XTR cranks didn't fit. It is stiffer and clears plus tires if you want to run them later. You can use the 142 thru axle rear but, there are no monkey nuts made for the new frame yet. You will have to use their chain tensioners if you run a rear rotor over 160 or need the spacing for drivetrain reasons. I bent my 2016 model Ogre and the new ogre replacement under warranty has been awesome. stiff, rides better, slightly slacker but they made up for it in other ways so it feels very similar other than the handling change. One thing if you run the 142, you'll need surly's custom thru axle because it doesn't take DT or maxle. If you run 135, you'll be using their adapters which for me added some flex and caused an issue with securing my rear wheel with Pitlock skewers. Pitlock doesn't make a 142 option and it wouldn't work anyways because there's no threads on the other side. But my bike is too expensive to leave outside now anyways so I'll just carry an extra lock if I needed to do that.

Local trail run on the old version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGS3PSf2MJc

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Took the ogre out for a cruise. I really like this bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    surly ogre-img_20171112_093800268.jpgsurly ogre-img_20171112_094353285_hdr.jpgsurly ogre-img_20171112_111709136.jpgsurly ogre-img_20171112_112608476_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Hampsterspam, how does the Ogre ride with a load up front and high like that? Any shimmy or issues controlling the bike? I imagine you're happy with the PH bag.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i got up to 46 on the way down the hill without feeling like i was going to die...i didnt have a whole lot in it,but overall i barely noticed it was there...today i hauled groceries home in it,but i have it strapped to the rear rack now since the jones bars made it a pita to fiddle with up front so i put the basket back on...

but yes,so far i would say worth the money by far...i need to get it on the straggler next..

mtbr member
    I hadn't thought of how the bars would interfere. I also just realized that's the smaller bag, presumably on an 8 pack rack. I have a 24 pack rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yep,8 pack/ pph combo...its just the jones loop bars that get slightly in the way,im sure flats or drops it would be fine...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Was thinking about getting the moloko bars for the ogre but decided on the RF atlas 35 instead because of the green theme going on. Still would like to get a front pizza rack because I can pick up a pizza at the gas station on my way home about 3 miles away.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I am planning to get myself an Ogre for "gravel grinding" and single track riding, but confused on the sizing. MTBR and other forums are full of opinions, but not the final truth. Unfortunately test ride is not possible, since there are no Surly dealers close to my home.
    I am 6'1.5" tall with 35" biking inseam. Surly size guide says LG but I could imagine liking the longer top tube of XL. However, the clearance in XL may not be enough...is the standover in XL really 33.8"?
    Surly has a strange method of measuring the seat tube, could someone please measure the real C-T from center of bottom bracket to top of the seat tube in Ogre LG and XL?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I am planning to get myself an Ogre for "gravel grinding" and single track riding, but confused on the sizing. MTBR and other forums are full of opinions, but not the final truth. Unfortunately test ride is not possible, since there are no Surly dealers close to my home.
    I am 6'1.5" tall with 35" biking inseam. Surly size guide says LG but I could imagine liking the longer top tube of XL. However, the clearance in XL may not be enough...is the standover in XL really 33.8"?
    Surly has a strange method of measuring the seat tube, could someone please measure the real C-T from center of bottom bracket to top of the seat tube in Ogre LG and XL?
    What's wrong with the standover height? Looks like it'll work for you just fine. I never go by standover anyway. Stack, reach, ETT are the critical measurements.

mtbr member
    I just checked my '12 XL KM (same geo as the Ogre, I think), and I measured 33.5" standover right at the middle of the top tube. So I think Surly's number is about right.

The actual seat tube length (center of bottom bracket to the end of the tube) is about 23.25" (I didn't take the seat collar off to measure it exactly).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Will the new Ogre fork clear a 29+ tire? I have a Singular Gryphon fork of similar length that can do it, so I'm guessing yes.

I really love that non-suspension corrected look on the Ogre, but I'm loath to give up the more flexible tubing and shorter chainstays of my KM.
    I know this old, but the only thing keeping me from an ogre is owning Gryphon. Just stick a Jones bar and its almost an ogre. I think I'm going troll and switching my old mtb parts. Really love the ogre though, esp. the Rasta!

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I just checked my '12 XL KM (same geo as the Ogre, I think), and I measured 33.5" standover right at the middle of the top tube. So I think Surly's number is about right.

The actual seat tube length (center of bottom bracket to the end of the tube) is about 23.25" (I didn't take the seat collar off to measure it exactly).
    Thank you so much seat_boy! So the standover is accurate...maybe a bit less clearance than I am used to with my other mountain bike. Also the seat tube continues over an inch above the end of the seat tube measurement, so there is no need for a super long seatpost.... I am thinking of getting a LG instead of XL. But planning to use the bike mainly on gravel roads and maybe some touring....don't know.

mtbr member
    By way of example, I'm 6'3" with a 36" PBH, and here's my KM set up with a 32" seat height:

surly ogre-img_7672.jpg

At your height, I would go for the Large.

Thank you so much seat_boy! So the standover is accurate...maybe a bit less clearance than I am used to with my other mountain bike. Also the seat tube continues over an inch above the end of the seat tube measurement, so there is no need for a super long seatpost.... I am thinking of getting a LG instead of XL. But planning to use the bike mainly on gravel roads and maybe some touring....don't know.

likes beer
    Nov 2009
    I also have a quick sizing question. I'm not too worried about the standover height, because I think most everyone should fit with that sloping top tube. That said, my overall height is 74 in (188 cm), with a PBH of 35 in (89 cm) and an arm length of 25 in (63.5 cm).

Based on what I've read I am going to guess that an XL with a 70 mm stem should put me right in the ballpark. Primary use will be trails, from extreme single track to dirt and gravel roads. Does this sound right, or should I kick down to a large?
    Last edited by Rusk; 11-26-2017 at 02:58 AM.

mtbr member

Sizing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    I also have a quick sizing question. I'm not too worried about the standover height, because I think most everyone should fit with that sloping top tube. That said, my overall height is 74 in (188 cm), with a PBH of 35 in (89 cm) and an arm length of 25 in (63.5 cm).

Based on what I've read I am going to guess that an XL with a 70 mm stem should put me right in the ballpark. Primary use will be trails, from extreme single track to dirt and gravel roads. Does this sound right, or should I kick down to a large?
    Hard to say. I think I posted this info previously so forgive the redundancy. I'm 6' with a 90.5cm PBH and a saddle height of 80cm. I went with an XL as I didn't want to have a mile of post. SO is limited but I'm not so worried about that. Still, I've got 5cm spacers to get the bars where I want them. I'm running an 80cm stem but might go to a 70cm at some point. The old XL Ogre would have been perfect for me. But really, when I'm riding on it and not thinking about it, the bike is fun.

Given your measurements it seems like you could go with either size depending on how you're going to set it up. The bigger size does give you more frame bag space.

Here's a recent picture of mine with a 24 pack rack and Surly rear rack. It's quite a beast. I'm bummed that I didn't make more of an effort to get out on it this past summer. I also would really like to try it with 27+ wheels. Over the next few days I'm going to mock it up with my Surly front rack. The 24-pack rack is back on my BD. For now...

Does anyone know if the older Surly XL frame bags fit nicely on the current XL Ogres?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-ogre17.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    my number 5 frame bag fits my xxl ogre pretty good if that helps..

likes beer
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Given your measurements it seems like you could go with either size depending on how you're going to set it up. The bigger size does give you more frame bag space.
    Thank you very much for your perspective! I am very specifically looking for a trail rig, as my Disc Trucker is my road tourer and I love that bike. Being between sizes is a pretty good spot. Iím really looking for a replacement for my large Pugsley, which was infinitely comfortable. I like being able to throw the bike around under me, so I think a large may suit me very well.
    Last edited by Rusk; 11-27-2017 at 12:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I realize this is not necessarily an Ogre only question, but I have had my 2017 Ogre a few weeks now and have been putting some miles on it, a few at a time. I have upgraded to a Brooks saddle, and am looking to upgrade the handle bar grips and add some handle bar tape. Any recommendations on these?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    EDIT: never mind. I can't read
    Last edited by Hman0217; 12-04-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: misread

mtbr member
    Esi chunky

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

likes beer
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by walterfredo View Post
    ...am looking to upgrade the handle bar grips and add some handle bar tape. Any recommendations on these?
    I cannot recommend the ESI MTB grips highly enough. I would get the chunky in either standard or XL length, depending upon which bar you are using. For alt-bars, I prefer the XL.

MTB Grips - The ORIGINAL 100% Silicone Grip

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and I am collecting information about Surly Ogre 2017, especially with 27.5+ wheels.

The most important question for me has already been asked by Hman0217, but so far it wasn't answered:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hman0217 View Post
    How do you all feel about the hill bombingness and trail ripability of the new ogre? I loved my 08 monkey but when I tried the new one I was disappointed in its climbability, which though somewhat due to the monster tires must also be connected to the three degree slackening of HTA. (For contrast I rode a crust scapegoat with plus tires that climbed like a boss) So I was thinking of defecting to the steeper-HTA ogre but I'm worried that the other end of the spectrum might be too compromised. Is the new ogre pretty darn playful off the asphalt or is it gonna be significantly subdued relative to the monkey?
    Isn't the HTA too steep for feeling calm and safe while bikepacking in the mountains?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I only rode one briefly, with 27.5x3.0 wheels/tires, and I wouldn't hesitate to say bombs away. For reference I ride my ECR everywhere and am happy bombing that too. Both bikes are super stable and make high speed descents a chill affair and I only notice I'm going fast when full suspension bikes get in my way!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Is it verboten to inquire about the weight of an Ogre frameset?

I have been searching the webz, and skimming through this thread trying to get an inkling as to what I could expect the frame and fork to weigh, and have not found anything useful. I realize that the Ogre is never going to be lightweight, nor should it be, but I would like to know roughly what to expect. I am considering jettisoning my AWOL for an Ogre because I'm just not a drop bar guy when it comes to offroading. The XL AWOL Expert frameset (frame and fork) was about 8 lbs IIRC, and I am hoping an XL Ogre won't be too far off of that mark.

Also wondering if there is another bike with the same/similar design intent of the Ogre that I should consider if the chances of me going 27.5+ are relatively slim (I already own a Trek Stache 9 29+)?

likes beer
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I happen to have an XL Ogre frameset awaiting a wheel build. It is completely bare, with the exception of a Cane Creek headset. Weight on my extremely unscientific bathroom scale is 10.2 lbs. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Rusk; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:28 AM. Reason: Size update

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    I happen to have an Ogre frameset awaiting a wheel build. It is completely bare, with the exception of a Cane Creek headset. Weight on my extremely unscientific bathroom scale is 10.2 lbs. I hope that helps.
    It does.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSanders View Post
    Bike24 lists the combined weight of a 20" Ogre frame + fork, as being 4370grams or 9.614lbs.
    Thank you for checking it.
    Last edited by jeffj; 01-14-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Chicken Master

I have been searching the webz, and skimming through this thread trying to get an inkling as to what I could expect the frame and fork to weigh, and have not found anything useful. I realize that the Ogre is never going to be lightweight, nor should it be, but I would like to know roughly what to expect. I am considering jettisoning my AWOL for an Ogre because I'm just not a drop bar guy when it comes to offroading. The XL AWOL Expert frameset (frame and fork) was about 8 lbs IIRC, and I am hoping an XL Ogre won't be too far off of that mark.

Also wondering if there is another bike with the same/similar design intent of the Ogre that I should consider if the chances of me going 27.5+ are relatively slim (I already own a Trek Stache 9 29+)?
    Bike24 lists the combined weight of a 20" Ogre frame + fork, as being 4370grams or 9.614lbs.

mtbr member

Before buying the Ogre last Summer, The AWOL, Salsa Vaya and Fargo were on the short list. Only rode the AWOL in a parking lot, but liked the ride. Also liked it could handle bigger than the ~45MM of the Vaya.

So, when does a tire get too skinny for you?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post
    Before buying the Ogre last Summer, The AWOL, Salsa Vaya and Fargo were on the short list. Only rode the AWOL in a parking lot, but liked the ride. Also liked it could handle bigger than the ~45MM of the Vaya.

Agree on the Fargo. That definitely should be considered. But for the price of the Ogre frame, I don't know of any other bike that will do it better.

mtbr member

Ogre & Rohloff

I have not posted on MTBR in a long time but I am pretty happy about this Ogre I am riding. I originally bought the Ogre to convert to a mid drive e-bike for a long 60 mile round trip commute to work. The Ogre is a good donor for an e-bike but that setup proved unreliable for the kind of miles I was putting down.

So what to do with the Ogre...I always wanted a Rohloff hub and this bike is perfect for it. Itís not light but it handles trails like a tractor. I like it a lot. Pic is from a good days ride not too long ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-14c8b564-fe90-4a68-90ed-3b1849c6e085.jpg  

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by milliesand View Post

I want the bike I am going to build to be able to handle something like a 29"x 2" MTB-ish tire. Some of the sandy spots I ride get a little squirrely on narrower tires (with me at the controls anyway. . . lol).

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I picked up my new ogre size XL. Can't wait to ride it once the snow is gone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-f0d8429c-e4b4-4581-8260-cb8716e26700.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sehitz View Post
    Why wait!?

surly ogre-ogre-bridge-2013.jpg

Admittedly, this was with studded tyres but the Ogre has always been a blast in these type of conditions...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Colett View Post
    New model is boost spacing, 168+ q factor cranks only. My old 158 q m9000 XTR cranks didn't fit. It is stiffer and clears plus tires if you want to run them later. You can use the 142 thru axle rear but, there are no monkey nuts made for the new frame yet. You will have to use their chain tensioners if you run a rear rotor over 160 or need the spacing for drivetrain reasons. I bent my 2016 model Ogre and the new ogre replacement under warranty has been awesome. stiff, rides better, slightly slacker but they made up for it in other ways so it feels very similar other than the handling change. One thing if you run the 142, you'll need surly's custom thru axle because it doesn't take DT or maxle. If you run 135, you'll be using their adapters which for me added some flex and caused an issue with securing my rear wheel with Pitlock skewers. Pitlock doesn't make a 142 option and it wouldn't work anyways because there's no threads on the other side. But my bike is too expensive to leave outside now anyways so I'll just carry an extra lock if I needed to do that.

Local trail run on the old version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGS3PSf2MJc
    I registered and account so I could reply to your comment. I have a 2017 ogre with the knot boost running 135 wheels and adapters. I bought the Abus Nutfix and it is long enough... barely but it works great.

mtbr member
    Very nice. What size frame bag is that? Looks like a perfect fit.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by subversion View Post
    Why wait!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogre Bridge 2013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	1180024

Admittedly, this was with studded tyres but the Ogre has always been a blast in these type of conditions...
    Yes, especially considering you can fit some fat tires in there (2.6" - 3.0").

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Very nice. What size frame bag is that? Looks like a perfect fit.
    Itís a custom fit bag from Relevate made for the ogre

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by subversion View Post
    Why wait!?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ogre Bridge 2013.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	1180024

I have a Pugsley that I use on the winter trails. I took the Ogre out a little and the extra terrestrials donít make for very good traction in the ice and snow.

mtbr member
    Itís a custom fit bag from Relevate made for the ogre
    Right, but which size. #9? I ask because the bags were originally sized for the older models. Last year the dimensions of the XL Ogre changed so I'm curious if the #9 size bag is still the best fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Pugsley that I use on the winter trails. I took the Ogre out a little and the extra terrestrials donít make for very good traction in the ice and snow.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223