Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1956

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah I believe the front derailleur issue has been mentioned a few times in this thread or it might be the Ogre Build thread.
    I've had to re-read both threads numerous times to glean some build details as well as PM'ing posters to clarify things for my Ogre build.
    Its almost painful now the threads are so big to search.
    Everyone was extremely helpful it being such a great community in here.
    I wish I could remember how to use the search function but usually give up and just re-read the thread.
    Luckily theres lots of great pics to keep the read inspired.

iphilrive

Ogre Finished well...

Almost finished i just have to order a dynamo hub/spokes/ rim! then i'll be done!

instagram: _skinnytwig #justpedal

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ^ Nice! I have those rims on my Big Dummy, well the 26" version. BEEFY. Also on Big apples.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by iphilrive View Post
    Almost finished i just have to order a dynamo hub/spokes/ rim! then i'll be done!

And you might consider turning those Ergon grips the right way forward.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    And you might consider turning those Ergon grips the right way forward.

lol jokes on you they are the swept back version.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    New experiment: ordered a Krampus fork (Black Boss model) for my Ogre. Sticking with my current wheel/tire for now, but interested in the changes of geometry: higher bottom bracket (5mm?), taller front end (15mm), shallower headtube angle (.75deg?), more fork offset (4mm). I know the differences will be subtle, but the Ogre will be in mountain mode for the foreseeable future, and I'm curious how it will handle technical singletrack with the slightly slacker geometry.

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    So is the Krampus fork straight or tapered?

Tires
    lol jokes on you they are the swept back version.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS
    Thanks for clarifying that. How do you like them? Do they "turn" your wrist more like a straight bar, effectively reducing the amount of sweep on your bars? At least that's how I understood their product descriptions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    current spec

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    New experiment: ordered a Krampus fork (Black Boss model) for my Ogre. Sticking with my current wheel/tire for now, but interested in the changes of geometry: higher bottom bracket (5mm?), taller front end (15mm), shallower headtube angle (.75deg?), more fork offset (4mm). I know the differences will be subtle, but the Ogre will be in mountain mode for the foreseeable future, and I'm curious how it will handle technical singletrack with the slightly slacker geometry.
    When I put an Ogre fork on the Troll the differences were all positive. Less twitchy with a more direct steering feel particularly on rough rooty single track. Climbing steep stuff the front end tracks better. The bike feels like it's on rails. I think it will be much the same for your Ogre, I had planned on putting a Krampus fork on my KM because of the positive results on the Troll but ended up selling the Km.

iphilrive
    Thanks for clarifying that. How do you like them? Do they "turn" your wrist more like a straight bar, effectively reducing the amount of sweep on your bars? At least that's how I understood their product descriptions.
    i like them but i have the other ones too, i'm a big ergon grip person. i haven't ridden with the ones on this bike much i guess i'll give you a review when i get to put miles on them..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Finished my build :)

surly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi Chris McCarthy,
    love your handlebar set up.
    Nice touch with the bar tape (Brooks?) especially with the black edging..
    I think it looks great.
    The seatstay split looks very tidy.
    What sort of gear inches are you running with the belt/Rohloff combo?
    Was the splitter bonded into place or welded?
    I ask as I'm unsure what the black bands edging the splitter are.
    I'm wondering if they tidy up a bonding as opposed to respraying the stays after welding.
    Anyway, looks great.
    Look forward to reading about your adventures.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    what sort of gear inches are you running with the belt / shimano alfine 8 combo?
    ftfy
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ftfy
    Ha!
    I really must get around to buying those glasses the optician recommended.
    They'll do wonders now I've bought a 11" macbook air to take on long tours.

I'm a little behind with the ftw's etc. What does ftfy mean?

Thanks for the heads up Gritter.

Tires
    What does ftfy mean?
    "fixed that for you"

I love my 11" air, but I do wear glasses . . .
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi Chris McCarthy,
    love your handlebar set up.
    Nice touch with the bar tape (Brooks?) especially with the black edging..
    I think it looks great.
    The seatstay split looks very tidy.
    What sort of gear inches are you running with the belt/Rohloff combo?
    Was the splitter bonded into place or welded?
    I ask as I'm unsure what the black bands edging the splitter are.
    I'm wondering if they tidy up a bonding as opposed to respraying the stays after welding.
    Anyway, looks great.
    Look forward to reading about your adventures.
    Thanks for the props!

Yes,that is Brooks tape and the tube splitter is welded into place. The black is painted to tidey up the weld. If I did my math right the gear inches for the Alfine 8 hub with a 46/24/110 belt drive set up is 20.443, 35.98, 41.791, 47.545, 55.87, 68.329, 79.28 and 90.23.

iphilrive
    PLUG FTW! i need to buy one! is that the two or three?

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	856515Click image for larger version. 

Views:	1001 
Size:	165.5 KB 
ID:	856517Click image for larger version. 

Views:	272 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	856519
    also what dynamo hub did you go with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    To answer your first question, it is a The Plug II but it has the PAT II technology so hills and slow winter grinds aren't a problem. The dynamo I went with is a I-Light D7 series.

Lighten up.
    To answer your first question, it is a The Plug II but it has the PAT II technology so hills and slow winter grinds aren't a problem. The dynamo I went with is a I-Light D7 series.
    Just read about that Plug II today. Very cool idea. Let us know what you think of it, please.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We have Plug II's on our Big Dummies and haven't gotten them to charge anything. We've tried, lights, iPhones, Garmins, and external batteries and no luck. Not sure what the deal is but two different units are not working as intended. And we've tried it on everything from flats to crazy downhills with more than enough speed to generate power. Bummed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
    Just read about that Plug II today. Very cool idea. Let us know what you think of it, please.
    So far I've been charging my Iphone 4s wile maintaining a slow to moderate pace (winter commuting). It seems to be charging the device without difficulty but I haven't been using it very long. I will report back with any new findings.

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    Interesting to see the SON28 integration with the KLite front lamp. Looks tiny—would love to know dimensions, but I get the gist (that it's small).

Looks like all new product, too. Makes me a bit leery of adopting early.

I'm tempted to stick with the Edelux II for my new build, since I've owned two SON28+Edelux setups previously—and they were flawless systems.

How long have you been running the KLite system?

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenanigans View Post
    We have Plug II's on our Big Dummies and haven't gotten them to charge anything. We've tried, lights, iPhones, Garmins, and external batteries and no luck. Not sure what the deal is but two different units are not working as intended. And we've tried it on everything from flats to crazy downhills with more than enough speed to generate power. Bummed.
    That is a bummer. LOVE the idea of that system, especially with the steerer tube install.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    to be honest i've just bought one, on advice from a long time touring guy i know who has been using his gear for a few years now, it's developing fast and he's just redone his web store, been a mainly Aussie thing for a while but now he's expanding. I think compared to some of the other well known brand stuff the pricing is pretty good, especially with our dollar being lower than yours (again)
    Time will tell how long it lasts for but i only hear good feedback on it, particularly the 1000lm light and the usb charging set up.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJfromtheSwitch View Post
    to be honest i've just bought one, on advice from a long time touring guy i know who has been using his gear for a few years now, it's developing fast and he's just redone his web store, been a mainly Aussie thing for a while but now he's expanding. I think compared to some of the other well known brand stuff the pricing is pretty good, especially with our dollar being lower than yours (again)
    Time will tell how long it lasts for but i only hear good feedback on it, particularly the 1000lm light and the usb charging set up.
    i'm going to put the supernova e3 triple and a sp dynamo on my ogre. i had the light on my karate monkey and it has been a life saver a few times now! i was told with dynamo powered stuff is don't go cheap spend the extra money and it will pay off for sure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i'm going to put the supernova e3 triple and a sp dynamo on my ogre. i had the light on my karate monkey and it has been a life saver a few times now! i was told with dynamo powered stuff is don't go cheap spend the extra money and it will pay off for sure!
    Where are you thinking about riding with that light?
    I ask as I suspect it may not be suitable for the road as it will be detrimental to oncoming road users.

iphilrive
    I ask as I suspect it may not be suitable for the road as it will be detrimental to oncoming road users.
    haha no if you aim it a little lower it isn't bad for other people or traffic i ride it anywhere!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    haha no if you aim it a little lower it isn't bad for other people or traffic i ride it anywhere!
    I've read elsewhere of its unsuitability for on road use due to the lens throwing light into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
    I suggest caution as some motorists, uncareful with regards cyclists at the best of times, may respond badly.
    I'll try to make time later and dig out the links.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    the k-lite one i bought is 1000lm! he rigged a low beam switch on it for that very reason
    now i just need to get another dynamo hub built into my rabbit hole rim so i can use it offroad as well as touring.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    You're gonna want to learn to cover it if you don't want to be That Guy®. The light comes with a warning that says, "Do not look directly in to the light, even on standby." I have mine aimed about 8 ft in front of my bike and went from crown mount to handlebar mount to help, but the beam arc is about 170º so you're still going to blind people. I love it to bits, but I frequently think about making a little "hat" for it to make the blinding effect less bad.

So far I've been charging my Iphone 4s wile maintaining a slow to moderate pace (winter commuting). It seems to be charging the device without difficulty but I haven't been using it very long. I will report back with any new findings.
    I was told they do not recommend using the Plug II with electronic devices directly because the devices do not respond well to stop-start supplies of electricity. I run mine to an intermediate battery, and run that to the device. It also has the added benefit of allowing me to discharge the battery at a power rating higher than the hub could normally supply, e.g. 5V 900mA for USB 3.0 devices (4.5W vs. the 3W dynohub rating). I have used this setup very successfully in the past and had no issues. The intermediate battery doesn't have to be very high capacity, even 2 AA batteries do the job perfectly.

mtbr member

Test ride.

I test rode this Ogre today. It was my first time riding one, seems to be a good fit. I want it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-image.jpg  

All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Does anyone have a Tubus Duo rack mounted on an Ogre fork? Satisfied? Did it mount fairly level (sometimes a problem with Tubus racks on straight forks)?

Front Rack for Ogre Fork?

Check this out, they have one Duo mounted to an Ogre there (with photos)

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed it's a Troll not an Ogre. But you might find that useful.
    EDIT 2: Hiawatha Cyclery have put one on an Ogre. It has photos.

Hiawatha Cyclery: Surly Bastard!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks, Hunter....very helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbow View Post
    Does anyone have a Tubus Duo rack mounted on an Ogre fork? Satisfied? Did it mount fairly level (sometimes a problem with Tubus racks on straight forks)?
    I do, and it's perfectly level. No problems on tours either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mild Delirium View Post
    I do, and it's perfectly level. No problems on tours either.
    Excellent! Thanks, MD.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Looking at OGRE

Quote Originally Posted by mike1125biking View Post
    I'm 6'1" with a 33 pant inseam and I ride an Ogre with a 22" frame and the fit for me is perfect. A friend had a 20" KM and it seemed smaller than I like but I don't like to feel cramped. My Ogre is for commuting and maybe bikecamping so comfort is king. I'd go for the bigger than samller for sure, at least that is what worked for me. My Pugsley is also a 22" and is a single track killer
    I am planning to get an OGRE frame when I get home. I assumed I wanted the 20, but I better make sure its not the 22 I need. Im an inch taller than you (6'2") and I like a big bike. I have a Novara Safari (REI) and so I will measure that and use that as a guide. The Novara Safari is XXL, but Im not sure the tube length. This will take some serious study.
    Looking foreward to building this this summer

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Just changed up my Ogre from mtb duties to commuter/tourer for 2014. Going to swap out the bars for something wider so that a bar-end can be added for alternate hand positions...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey all, in the pics I've seen, I can't quite see close enough to see if those of you who are running racks plus fenders have the rack mounted in the "rearward" hole or the "foward" hole on the back of the bike.

I already had fenders mounted to the forward hole and I got my Salsa Wanderlust rack last night, and noticed it might give me a tad better heel clearance with panniers if I move the fenders to the front hole and use the rear hole for the rack.

I am assuming it doesn't matter but just thought I'd check.
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2013
    dfltroll, You will enjoy it! 2014 complete bike comes with Jones bars. I got mine August 2013, it came with a flat bar and I upgraded to the Surly Open Bar, which I like but really wanted the Jones bar. I'll ride it this year but may upgrade by the end of summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum but after a long (2-3 month) period of internet sleuthing, multiple visits to bike shops, searching the forums, and just pure obsession I am turning to you in hopes of answering a few questions before I pull the trigger on a 2013 or 2014 Ogre.

(1) Frame Size / Fit: I have searched the forums and read pretty much everything I can but since no one in my region has an Ogre/KM to directly test I'm stuck with comparisons when it comes to sizing. Obviously, given the cost of special ordering I want to get this correct. Getting to the point, I am 5'11" with a 31" inseam. In other words I am a bit of a short-legged, long torso freak, which makes sizing bikes a bit difficult as I am always between two sizes it seems. I currently ride (and Love) a 56cm Surly LHT and I also have an 18.5" Jamis Komodo FX 2 from back in the day.

I've pretty much been going on the effective top tube recommendation (as per Surly's blog) for sizing the Ogre. Using my LHT as a guide (ETT=22.4), and based on the published geometry of the Ogre, that would correspond to a Small (ETT=22.7). However, using my Jamis as a guide which is a bit longer in the TT, and some conversations with other bike shop folks, it seems the Medium (18in) may be more appropriate.

So, my question is: Based on your riding experience, what frame size would you lean me toward given this info? Also, I am planning on tasking this this as a 80% trail bike with 20% commuting and longer off-road tours, so I want it to feel playful enough on single track, yet comfortable for longer rides.

(2) I'm also torn between going with a 2013 or 2014 model, but from the sounds of it the 2014 has been ED coated (confirm/deny?) which in and of itself seems like it's worth it. And then there are the Jones loop bars, which seem great for longer rides but if I'm spending most of my time on single track are they going to be ideal / worth the difference in price? I know a lot of this comes down to personal preference, but I guess I'm just looking for a bit more practical advice.

Any help is appreciated.

**** this ****
    It's possible we're just of very different proportions, but being three inches taller than you and personally preferring an XL's geo, I'd do a bit more research if I were you. Have you tried measuring your bike inseam and fitting by that, or is that what you're talking about when you say 'inseam'?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    It's possible we're just of very different proportions, but being three inches taller than you and personally preferring an XL's geo, I'd do a bit more research if I were you. Have you tried measuring your bike inseam and fitting by that, or is that what you're talking about when you say 'inseam'?
    Hey Zowie, Thanks for the quick reply. I should have been more specific. The inseam that I was referring to is floor to crotch (or in other words my pants inseam or the top of a book when smashed into my groin). I did measure the Effective top tube of my existing Jamis 18.5 " and it is close to that of a medium (18") Ogre. That said, this is exactly the kind of discussion I need because it seems a lot of people 6' or so are riding larges, but perhaps with much longer legs...? Thanks.

**** this ****
    I think a S might even be a hair on the tall side for you with an SO of 30" if your PBH is 31", although as long as you clean everything it doesn't much matter...

Sounds like you're on the right track though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    n/m
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I think a S might even be a hair on the tall side for you with an SO of 30" if your PBH is 31", although as long as you clean everything it doesn't much matter...

Sounds like you're on the right track though.
    Haha, and thanks for the info! I will say that I'm far less concerned with getting the stand over perfect given MY geometry. So, I think based on the effective top tube length alone I may be happier and have more options in a Medium (18in)? Maybe I've already found the answer... or, at least that is what I've gathered from a list someone compiled on the KM forum. Unless there is something that I'm not considering as a short leg / long torso guy....