Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast

Thread: surly ogre

dying hurts.
    thank you.
    it's a sunlite gold tec front rack....should be about $14 at your LBS....great little platform rack.

mtbr member
    After a couple of months my Ogre is now complete.

Changes since the first build:
    -Swapped the Gobi XM for a WTB Silverado. I'm really liking this saddle, really really confortable;
    -Pedals are now Superstar Nanotech Thru Pin flats. After much deliberation and experiences I decided to confert to flat pedals. These new designs are really THAT much better than the old flat pedals like the DMR V12, enough to make me ditch the clipless pedals without feeling to loose any efficiency and ending up with a safer, way more versatile, fun and reliable pedalling system;
    -Panaracer Rampage 2.35 tires. The Kendas finally died and I had these ones on the garage. A little slower to roll but much better grip, safety, confort and puncture resistance.
    -Tubus Cargo Evo rack. Was a little afraid o the tire clearance but there's actualy plenty of space, at least with 25mm rims. Super rigid, really light, I'm impressed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tallqwerty View Post
    Having ridden a Giant Iguana since 1998 I have been ready for a new, larger bike for the last few years. I am 7' tall, weigh about 285 lbs, and was considering a custom job but couldn't justify the $. I haven't been able to find an XXL Salsa Fargo the last 18 months so I figured I would pull the trigger on a 24" Ogre.

Last weekend, I visited my LBS and ordered the bike - they only had 4 left in the country (that's what the guy told me) and the bike was being shipped from Minneapolis. I am expecting it to be ready for me to pick it up in six days... CAN'T WAIT!! It will be a much better fit than my Giant, and the 29 inch wheels are going to be a big upgrade. I will primarily use it for recreation, maybe off-road about half the time; I will ride it as-is and not make any changes from the stock bike, unless anyone here thinks my size may warrant an immediate "upgrade" to something (seat, tires, handlebar, etc.).

Any thoughts?
    Hi, tallqwert
    what did you finish up with? I'm 6'8", 36" inseam and 250lbs so similar problems. Never even seen a Surly Ogre here in the UK although I think there is a stockist in London (170 miles away so I need to be sure I want to consider one).
    I want a tourer/cyclocross style but UK bikes seem to be sold as full mountain or road (I have a road bike).
    Any suggestions as to what I should be considering would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. I can't afford to consider a bespoke measure/build.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljw View Post
    Hi, tallqwert
    what did you finish up with? I'm 6'8", 36" inseam and 250lbs so similar problems. Never even seen a Surly Ogre here in the UK although I think there is a stockist in London (170 miles away so I need to be sure I want to consider one).
    I want a tourer/cyclocross style but UK bikes seem to be sold as full mountain or road (I have a road bike).
    Any suggestions as to what I should be considering would be greatly appreciated.
    p.s. I can't afford to consider a bespoke measure/build.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick
    Mick,

There are plenty of Surly dealers in the UK, tho i cant imagine many would ever have a 24" demo available. If you check with the UK distributers (www.ison-distribution.com) then you can look at which shops near you will be able to get you one. You can also look at stock levels on their website and unfortunatley this shows no 24" completes available until February, tho frame-only seem to be coming in this month.

Regarding the 'road or mtb only' comment, i think you need change your bike magazine/shop/websites!!! The UK has more cycling disiplines going on in a small space then almost any other country.

Cyclocross has always been popular in the uk and has been getting much bigger in the last 4-5 years. Plently of companies are vying for your attention with their latest models. And touring? a decent bike shops should have at least 10 to chose from, again all these new companies like Charge bikes or Genesis all have Touring bikes in their range, not to mention the stalwarts like Dawes Galaxy and Trek 800series, and of course the wonderful Surly LHT (have one, its super).

In conclusion, if you want a Ogre, there should be a shop within a short drive that can help you, if you want anything else, its there, you just need to find a good shop to help.

Rich.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rich
    thanks for the reply and the link - had never heard of ison. I live near Worksop. As such, my LBS is either Halfords or the bike hire shop in Clumber Park. I am aware of cyclocross bikes but you're right, I do need to access a few more sites.
    I was up your way recently, cycling from Alnmouth to Berwick on route 1 and it was that trip that got me thinking about a tourer. I'm not wedded to the Ogre and a 64cm LHT might be worth my consideration. I'll look at the other dealers you mentioned.
    Thanks again
    Mick

mtbr member
    The Ogre fork already has all those mounts. It even has more mounts than the Fargo fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

More mounts than Fargo

I finally got to see some full set up bike touring Fargos yesterday. The Ogre has more mounts in the fork and the dropouts are much, much more versatile than the Fargo dropouts.

Edit- I thought the person who posted above was asking if the Ogre had more mounts than the Fargo.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljw View Post
    Rich
    thanks for the reply and the link - had never heard of ison. I live near Worksop. As such, my LBS is either Halfords or the bike hire shop in Clumber Park. I am aware of cyclocross bikes but you're right, I do need to access a few more sites.
    I was up your way recently, cycling from Alnmouth to Berwick on route 1 and it was that trip that got me thinking about a tourer. I'm not wedded to the Ogre and a 64cm LHT might be worth my consideration. I'll look at the other dealers you mentioned.
    Thanks again
    Mick

The north-east coast is particularly nice for a short senic tour, and an LHT is perfect choice for there. I think (assuming you want a surly) either the LHT or the Ogre would by a good choice for what you describe, just depends if you want drop or flat bars and then decide disc or rim-brakes.

Hope you get what your looking for, whatever it turns out to be.
    Rich.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rich
    Another attraction of something 'robust' like a Surly (or a Salsa and another reason why I joined this and other similar forums) is to prepare us for touring holidays in the states.
    I'm one of those public servants whose salary people used to snicker at back in the 80s and 90s but who are now described as 'feet in the trough' in that I've been fortunate to take my pension in my 50s and my wife will do the same next spring. We love touring and intend to buy 'proper' touring bikes either here or in the states, take advantage of the 90 day visa waiver visits and tour various national parks.
    We hope next spring to fly to San Francisco and cycle parks in N California and over towards Tahoe - generally the pony express route but more on forest and gravel trails than tarmac.
    So that's our dream and that's what draws us to Surly or similar. Any suggestions or advice from bikers on this forum (the vast majority of whom seem to be American) will be very welcome. In fact, suggest me a good route near your home, PM me your tel. no. and I'll stand you a beer (or two) next year.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    for some reason the software has ******ed out s-n-i-g-g-e-r as a dirty word. Let's try the American equivalent, snicker.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I think I've realised (but am dismayed by my own thought processes if I'm wrong) why the word was censored - original post now edited accordingly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thats sounds like a great trip. I picked up my LHT through the C2W scheme and tho i use it mostly for commuting its first use was a tour down part of the US west coast, it was pretty awesome (I have some pics on my flickr gallery).

If the Ogre had been available at the time id have probably got that, it would suit my touring stlye a little better (ill go anywhere a track does, not just tarmac). Ive thought long and hard about swapping the LHT for an Ogre but I have a Salsa Spearfish for offroad tours so the LHT suits better for commuting and generally getting about (i dont own a car).

Best of luck with your trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rich
    in view of your travel experience and when you've got a minute, I'd welcome your recommendations around flight boxes. Currently I'm favouring the EVA-pod (or is it EVO?).
    Mick

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Ogre doing its commute duty!

\

how did you get the front fender down without wheel gap? the bracket that comes with the cascadias are too short

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificBeef View Post
    \

how did you get the front fender down without wheel gap? the bracket that comes with the cascadias are too short
    Plumbers tape works, but will eventually vibrate apart. After the Ptape broke, I just used a small slotted piece of metal and an extra nut/bolt. works great!

mtbr member

Commuter Mode

Here's the Ogre in commuter mode. I ride 7 miles to and from work each day and I bring with me a change of clothes, my lunch, and a thermos of coffee. The Ogre is a great commuter, very comfortable and stable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-img_1824.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Plumbers tape works, but will eventually vibrate apart. After the Ptape broke, I just used a small slotted piece of metal and an extra nut/bolt. works great!
    I was able to find a bracket at Home Depot in the section for cabinet hardware that allowed me to set the fender height on my Karate Monkey.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I like your setup. Nice looking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    any news on when the 2013's are coming out? I'm excited about getting one in black.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so my 24" is in, frame only. only took 8 months, hardly any sent to Canada. few build ideas on the go; i know it will get red Blunt rims, 32 double butted spokes. stainless steel fenders from Velo Orange, and a black Thompson set back seat post. all the important bits are undecided at this point. winter project...

mtbr member
    I would think for the size you must be to ride a 24" that 36h rims would be a wise choice...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Here's the Ogre in commuter mode. I ride 7 miles to and from work each day and I bring with me a change of clothes, my lunch, and a thermos of coffee. The Ogre is a great commuter, very comfortable and stable.
    How are you liking the Ritchey stem? The one I have makes me somewhat nervous from the side to side flex. I think it's the two piece face plate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    How are you liking the Ritchey stem? The one I have makes me somewhat nervous from the side to side flex. I think it's the two piece face plate.
    I haven't noticed any flex... yet. I'll be putting on a new set of Geax Gato 2.3s and hitting the tech singletrack in Squamish BC this weekend, so I will report back.

mtbr member

Road Mode

Here is the Ogre in road mode. I pedaled about 50 miles of pavement this weekend on Lopez Island in Washington State -- 'twas lovely. I won't be winning any crit races on this setup, but it's very comfortable for cruising in my tall gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-img_1833.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Did you build yours or is it stock and what tires are you running? I rode in that area this summer and it is beautiful.

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast