Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: surly ogre

mtbr member
    Mattbryant2, it seems to me that you are using Time Z pedals.
    How are you liking them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Mattbryant2, it seems to me that you are using Time Z pedals.
    How are you liking them?
    Just put them on, and so far, so good. I have yet to ride any distance on them in regular shoes, but will report back.

mtbr member
    I got a pair of Time Z Freeride pedals yesterday. They are quite acceptable with regular shoes, ok for some calm commuting or grocery rides.

About the racks, I'm ordering the Cargo this week.
    Anyone knows the differences between the Classic and the Evo? Experiences with both?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Awaiting my 24" Ogre

Having ridden a Giant Iguana since 1998 I have been ready for a new, larger bike for the last few years. I am 7' tall, weigh about 285 lbs, and was considering a custom job but couldn't justify the $. I haven't been able to find an XXL Salsa Fargo the last 18 months so I figured I would pull the trigger on a 24" Ogre.

Last weekend, I visited my LBS and ordered the bike - they only had 4 left in the country (that's what the guy told me) and the bike was being shipped from Minneapolis. I am expecting it to be ready for me to pick it up in six days... CAN'T WAIT!! It will be a much better fit than my Giant, and the 29 inch wheels are going to be a big upgrade. I will primarily use it for recreation, maybe off-road about half the time; I will ride it as-is and not make any changes from the stock bike, unless anyone here thinks my size may warrant an immediate "upgrade" to something (seat, tires, handlebar, etc.).

Any thoughts?

Ariolimax columbianus
    Love my ogre. Some shots from fort ord, one from my commute. My cx commuter has a broken spoke I'm too lazy to fix. Took the ogre out instead. I really wanted to use it as a commuter but it was such a fun mountain bike and I didn't wanna swap out the knobbies.
    Over the past summer threw an older reba on it and took it up to Oregon on some tougher mtb trails and it was fine. Never really felt over my head except on the steepest of trails and tightest of switchbacks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346286970.590570.jpg  

surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346287023.239967.jpg  

surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346287068.851136.jpg  

surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346287135.659392.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    ^ Sweet pics.

Quote Originally Posted by tallqwerty View Post
    Any thoughts?
    I think you're 7' tall!! That's awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo149 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Have you weighed your bike?

Any one else have complete weights with out fenders bags etc...
    surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346457591.803740.jpg

18" right out of the box with cheap metal pedals.

Just got it. More pics later!

mtbr member
    surly ogre-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346537643.308440.jpg

A photo pre ride. Did 9 miles on the pavement today to the LBS and back. Forgot to get some bottle cages.

mtbr member
    Time Z pedals
    I used to have them on my mtb, and they are not suited for any serious riding with regular shoes, because the mechanism protrudes from the surface of the pedal.

With cleats they're nice though, easy to clip in and out and hardly ever release accidentally.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    I've used the Time Zs with regular shoes for the first time today on a 6 mile ride.
    I'm somewhat disapointed with them, they offer nearly the same grip as my Aliums with regular shoes. I think I'll sell them and consider convert to flats.

About the racks, anyone knows the maximum tire width with the Tubus Cargo? I'm using Panaracer Rampages

mtbr member

Tubus Cargo...

I've used the Time Zs with regular shoes for the first time today on a 6 mile ride.
    I'm somewhat disapointed with them, they offer nearly the same grip as my Aliums with regular shoes. I think I'll sell them and consider convert to flats.

About the racks, anyone knows the maximum tire width with the Tubus Cargo? I'm using Panaracer Rampages
    I just check the spacing on my cargo, which is mounted directly to my 24" ogre, and I have about 10mm on each side of the tire (2.0 fat franks) until the U-bar. 2.35s seem like they'd be pretty tight. I imagine frame size plays a factor as well as whether you have the old/new cargo. I suggest giving Wayne at "thetouringstore.com" a call if you can't figure it out.

mtbr member
    From my calculations, and considering that Panaracer tires are quite true to size, I'll have 5mm each side with them.
    Do you know which one, the Classic or the Evo, has greater clearance?

If the Cargo doesn't fits I'll go with the Tubus Locc

dying hurts.
    got a chance to test out my new salsa anything cages!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice...

Looks very close to m,y build...I'll post picts in a few.
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well...After a few months of working on it here it is. I've included both the MTB version and the touring mode.

I have a 3 day bikecamping trip in a few weeks which is why its set up as a tourer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-photo-1-.jpg  

surly ogre-photo-11-.jpg  

surly ogre-photo-14-.jpg  

The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    From my calculations, and considering that Panaracer tires are quite true to size, I'll have 5mm each side with them.
    Do you know which one, the Classic or the Evo, has greater clearance?

If the Cargo doesn't fits I'll go with the Tubus Locc
    Tubus says the max tire width for a Cargo Evo rack is 50mm. I just mounted a Cargo Evo rack on a 20" Ogre with 29 x 2.3" Exiwolf tires. The rack to tire clearance looks to be roughly the same as the frame seat stay to tire clearance. (It looks like plenty to me.)

I put a Tubus Duo rack on the front. Two issues: I had to use spacers (included with the rack) to clear the disc caliper, and the bottle cage mounts on the fork are now unusable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I like both builds and I like how the Orge can be changed into what you need at the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    so i take it that the Ogre is not really a mtn bike, or at least it's not being received by the marketplace as one. it's more of a hybrid commuting and touring bike?

mtbr member
    The thing is that the Ogre can be whatever you want it to be.
    There is no reason to consider it any less mtn bike than the Karate Monkey, one of the quintessential 29er mountain bikes of the market.
    I use mine as a full on mtn bike, as a commuter and as a touring/bikepacking platform in the future, and couldn't be happier

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The thing is that the Ogre can be whatever you want it to be.
    There is no reason to consider it any less mtn bike than the Karate Monkey, one of the quintessential 29er mountain bikes of the market.
    I use mine as a full on mtn bike, as a commuter and as a touring/bikepacking platform in the future, and couldn't be happier
    Well put! Ogre and KM have the EXACT same geometry.

All Surly bikes defy the neat and tiddy niches that other brands use to market their machines.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Im 5'9 pretty evenly dived ride a 55cm Salsa Casseroll and I'm unsure what size Orgre to order and do not have any to test ride. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Im 5'10-5'11ish Went with the 20. Just finished putting it together. So fair I am pretty pleased with my size choice. A 19 would have been perfect but a 18 would have been small. I prefer to be on the larger side then smaller. The 18 would of had way to much exposed seat post. The tightest dimension for me is stand over. Everything else is gravy. Another benefit of going larger is that you can fit a larger frame bag and carry more gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by commutenow View Post
    Im 5'9 pretty evenly dived ride a 55cm Salsa Casseroll and I'm unsure what size Orgre to order and do not have any to test ride. Any suggestions?
    I would think the 20" would be too big for you. I'm 5'10" and got the 18 because I like my bikes a little on the small side (opposite of above). Unlike a lot of people I hate stand over issues (just smashed my tail bone on another bike when I wrecked because of stand over).

That's a personal choice though, you know what you like to ride so take that with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have decided to go to the shop and make sure of size and I'm going to get a frame so I can put what I want it. It will be a long time coming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    got a chance to test out my new salsa anything cages!

Great set -up. What front rack is that?

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast