Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122
Results 2,101 to 2,164 of 2164

Thread: surly ogre

Not really fixed.
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    Looks like the new fork for the Krampus might be compatible with the 2015 Ogre, but a bit pricey at $185 to lose the v brake dooley bobbers and go through axle
    It's also got a 15mm longer a2c.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You're right, I was remembering the wrong size A2C for Ogre. This one's too long

Did I catch a niner+?
    Just ordered a new 2017 Medium Ogre Frameset which I will have next week. Anyone interested in the older style medium Ogre I will sell for $400 (will include frame, fork and headset) and will include the Surly Revelate framebag for an extra $50. Pm me.

Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What are you hoping to gain MrPink57?

Didn't I read you need a larger rear hub for wider spacing?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    What are you hoping to gain MrPink57?

Didn't I read you need a larger rear hub for wider spacing?
    Its Gnot Boost it will fit a 135, I am hoping to gain more bag space inside the frame and enjoy non suspension corrected frames a lot more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    Its Gnot Boost it will fit a 135, I am hoping to gain more bag space inside the frame and enjoy non suspension corrected frames a lot more.
    While there are aspects of the new Ogre which are appealing, i don't know that it really offers that much more bag space. Have you compared them?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    In the past couple of hours since my previous post I went out and purchased an XL Ogre frame. I'll be swapping over everything from my L Krampus--1x9 drivetrain, RH rims with ETs, Jones bars, etc. My Krampus just felt a little small. I'm a bit anxious about the sizing. I do have an XL BD so I have two reference points. I just fall between sizes. I just wasn't hitting up enough singletrack where I was putting the Krampus to good use. I'll likely use the Ogre as a do it all kid hauler, commuter, dirt road rambler and bike camping machine. I like than I can put a rear rack on it.

I recently sold a bike and will be likely selling off the Krampus frame so I'll still only be at 4 bikes which is good. Earlier this year I had been close to pulling the trigger on a Wed that I was going to set-up for trail riding with a dropper and a suspension fork but realized it just wouldn't see enough use.

I should have the frame set-up and rolling in about a week and a half.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member

XL ponderings.

So I woke up excited about my new XL Ogre but also a little anxious about sizing. I'll be curious what it feels like on singletrack, especially technical or steep trails although it shouldn't see too much use like that. Here's pictures of my XL BD and L Krampus for reference. Anyone have any thoughts?

surly ogre-bdw244.jpgsurly ogre-img_0116.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    me personally i dont much care for the way the ogre handles on the trails,of course i never really had it set up for that but the older models at least are fairly stiff until loaded with racks and such...but having seen the prototype Cass had and hearing his experience with it maybe the newer models will handle singletrack better...

as far as the fit,it seems like its just a matter of finding the right stem length and such to adjust the cockpit,i have an xxl ogre,xl krampus,xl km,xxl ICT,and 64cm cross check and straggler and as different as they all are they all fit well...

mtbr member
    May 2017

New Ogre

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I picked up my 2017 Ogre this afternoon and my first impression is very good. I originally went out to buy a Salsa Fargo in February then I rode a 2016 Ogre that was in the shop and immediately preferred it due to my MTB background and lack of familiarity with drop bars. A few days after putting down my deposit the 2017s were announced so I decided to wait mainly due to the ability to clear larger tires/fit 27.5+, and updated frame details. I'm happy I waited (it was not easy), I like the color and to my shock I love the handlebar on my short ride. I need to tweak a few things here and there but for my purposes (general exploration, errand running, bikepacking, and baby hauling) this is the perfect setup.

surly ogre-ogre.jpg

For those of you wondering and to add an action pic to this thread, it wheelies well too!

surly ogre-ogre-wheelie.jpg

Did I catch a niner+?
    Any pics of the Gnot boost? Does your ET look like a fender would fit with it all the way forward? I will pick my frame up next week.

mtbr member

XL sized folks be aware...

that the steerer tube on the Ogre fork is only 260mm. The headtube is 150mm. My frame arrived and after the headset was installed there was only 8cm (possibly 9cm) of steerer tube left. For me that left room for only 4cm of spacers with a 4cm stem. It should be fine for me. Just something for you taller folks to think about.

It's a heavy frame but that shouldn't be a surprise. The brown looks really nice. It should be built up by next week--Jones bars, RH rims with ETs, 1x10 drivetrain, VP platform pedals, BB7 brakes. Nothing special but dependable and capable.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Any pics of the Gnot boost? Does your ET look like a fender would fit with it all the way forward? I will pick my frame up next week.
    Hi Mr Pink57,

You may have already received your frame but here are a few pics that may answer your questions. Here's a pic of the Gnot boost dropout from the inside without the wheel installed and outside with the wheel pushed all the way forward.

surly ogre-gnot-boost-inside.jpg

surly ogre-gnot-boost-outside.jpg

Regarding fender clearance it looks a little tight at the chainstay yoke with more room at the seatstays.

surly ogre-chainstay-clearance.jpg

surly ogre-seatstay-clearane.jpg

A general comment, there are a lot of parts to remove for the rear wheel since Surly included a Tugnut and 10/12 spacers. The rear wheel install reminds me of a motorcycle wheel swap with the spacers but it is not too bad.

Ride safe!

mtbr member

Ready to ride.

Picked up the Ogre today. This is a big bike but I'm still glad I went with the XL as opposed to the L. Gotta adjust the angle on the bars. I'll likely get a shorter stem. I may also swap out bars for the narrower Jones bars that I have on my BD.

Clearance with the ETs on RH rims is fine with the wheel slammed forward.

I don't think mine came with a Tuggnut. Hopefully I'll get out for a ride on some dirt next week.

Here's a picture. Still need to get some cages on it and rear rack. It'll likely do commute duty this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-ogrei.jpg  

mtbr member
    Got a chance to commute in to work on the Ogre this morning. I took my daughter to daycare in the trailer and dropped her and the trailer off then on to work. The bike feels great. While it feels like a big bike, it doesn't feel too big. The ETs are a bit of overkill for commuting but I knew that already. I put my Surly rear rack on without issue. No heel strike with a pannier. Hopefully next week I'll get a chance to explore some dirt roads and even some single track in the Mt Hood NF.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Just built it up today. The fenders fit fine, even better than on the old ogre. First picture is with old frame bag and it fits well.

FYI, the FD does not accept the old style with a stopper you must use a direct mount fd with the housing running all the way to the FD for those coming from the older ogre frame. I just ordered an old stock XT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    new ogres are looking....well...dang useful!

RBC5000 any feedback on how the et tires are on those alex rims?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi hamsterspam,

No issues with the Alex rims. I have yet to change a tire, flat, or convert to tubeless so we will see how easy the tires come on/off. I have also not had tires roll or fold when cornering at speed at 20 psi but I haven't put a ton of time on the bike so that could still happen.

I read the bikepacking.com review and was mildly convinced 25 mm width stock rims were not ideal but honestly I don't see them being a problem. Not sure if that answers your question, let me know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was surprised to see surly had a range as low as 19mm for rim width for the et tires but i guess since i had schwalbe big apples on alex adventurer rims it shouldnt be surprising...i have had the et's on blunt35 and rabbit hole rims so far,personally i liked the blunt35/et combo the best so far,although they do great on the rabbit holes...

mtbr member
    I'm running ETs on old WTB Dual Duty XC 29er rims, they have a 19mm internal width. Seating the bead was a little squirrely (even with tubes) but no problems since. I'd like to build a set w/ Blunts and see how the tire profile changes.

mtbr member
    Got out on my Ogre today for a little bit of trail riding. It works well. Certainly not a trail ripper like a Krampus but fine for me. I was running my ETs on RH rims and they work well enough as long as you're not pushing it on the corners and the trail is dry. I should lowered the pressure. I have no doubts about this bike to be perfect for its primary intended use of exploring dirt FS roads in Gifford Pinchot NF and Mt Hood NF this summer.

I'd love to try out some 27.5 plus wheels on it. Although I'll likely end up picking up a set of 29x2.4 tires before a new wheelset.

mtbr member

The Ogre is Go.

So I got out for a few hours of riding in the Mt Hood National Forest. Initially I was going to roll around on some dirt FS roads but opted to ride singletrack instead. The Ogre was great. It rode well enough. I had been worried about sizing but it felt just fine and handled well. I was running ETs and they worked well too. There were only a few spots where things got sketchy--a steep loose descent and a few short steep climbs.

I really want to give it a try with a 27.5 plus wheelset. I need to sell some more stuff. I also need to lower the bars a bit.

The bag is a large Tangle bag. Frame is XL.

Here's some pictures from Surveyor's Ridge with Mt Hood in the background.surly ogre-34300057124_88db59ea44_z.jpgsurly ogre-ogreii.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the prototype ogre i saw had a 27.5 wheelset and 2.8 inch tires...looked like a capable bike...makes me wonder about a set of wheel for my ogre...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    So I got out for a few hours of riding in the Mt Hood National Forest.
    Great pictures! How tall are you?
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Great pictures! How tall are you?
    I'm only 6' tall but my PBH is 90cm and my saddle height 79 to 80cm depending on shoes and pedals. As big as this bike is, it feels great for plodding along. I've got 5cm of spacers, an 80cm stem with 7 degree rise and 71cm Jones bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so i kept thinking that i wanted something like a fargo but apparently you have to order them 10 years in advance if you actually expect to get one...i guess salsa only makes about 100 bikes total per year since they seem to be impossible to get...

so i made my own...the Fargogre...

surly ogre-dsc05065.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05067.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05070.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05071.jpg

a bit of a hack to get a shifter working for it...the bar end i had is broken or something since i couldnt get it to index properly...if i like this set up i will get the paul components bar adapter dealy and a sram gx shifter/derailleur/cassette and upgrade to 11 speed...

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i was surprised to see surly had a range as low as 19mm for rim width for the et tires but i guess since i had schwalbe big apples on alex adventurer rims it shouldnt be surprising...i have had the et's on blunt35 and rabbit hole rims so far,personally i liked the blunt35/et combo the best so far,although they do great on the rabbit holes...
    What pressure were you running with the blunt35 setup? I'm still getting my ETs dialed in, trying to find the right balance between comfort without going too soft to risk rim damage. I've got them on 40mm rims.

mtbr member
    hampsterspam, how does it handle with the drops? Is it twitchy at all? I sure wish Surly would make a dedicated drop-bar dirt/tour/plus bike.

Rednose/Greenback
    What stem is that please?
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR91 View Post
    What pressure were you running with the blunt35 setup? I'm still getting my ETs dialed in, trying to find the right balance between comfort without going too soft to risk rim damage. I've got them on 40mm rims.
    like 20-25psi on either the blunts or the rabbit holes,30 made them seem pretty stiff and fast but for comfort 20 psi is good unless your riding through tons of rocks or something

hampsterspam, how does it handle with the drops? Is it twitchy at all? I sure wish Surly would make a dedicated drop-bar dirt/tour/plus bike.
    i will have to let you know,i dont recall it being especially squirrelly before when i tried it,but i had a way longer,flatter stem...and different tires too..i have 4 different wheelsets that will fit this bike so it will get tried with et's on rabbit holes,the nano 2.1 on wtb speed disc rims,trail boss 2.4's on blunt 35's,i have a set of alex adventurer rims so i may try some riddler 2.25's as well as the 45c i already have,and the option of a trail boss 2.4 rear and ranger 3.0 up front...but first i will ride it as is for a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by apbtlvr View Post
    What stem is that please?
    its a dimension stem,31.8 clamp size i think its a 70 degree rise and about 50mm long...im gonna get some soma condor bars that have rise as well as flare,and if i like the way it handles i will likely upgrade to a sram gx rear d/shifter/cassette with the paul components bar adapter and run an 11 speed...its my townie bike/i hate to say it anyroad tourer/day tripper....thats the idea anyway..

Rednose/Greenback
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    38° 54' -77° 15

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    got the fargogre out for a bit of a test run and shakedown cruise...tried to put it through what i would consider typical for a multi surface ride around here...went down one of the few stretches of smooth gravel road,pavement,some two track more like the bulk of the "dirt" roads around here,a bit of rocky singletrack,and because no skinny-ish tire ride around here is complete without a wee bit of rim deep sand cause who doesnt like a bit of hike a bike?

passed all the test...trackstands,no hands,fiddling with water bottle one hand on the bars,bunny hopping,danger birding....

nothing off about the handling you wouldnt expect from having a rack and basket on the front,or directly from the tires having a pronounced center ridge ...

did well everywhere really...seemed pretty stable,no squirminess from low speed climbing,nothing unexpected really...

surly ogre-img_20170608_104850688.jpgsurly ogre-img_20170608_104859166.jpgsurly ogre-img_20170608_110219683.jpgsurly ogre-img_20170608_110224577.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Please note, I'm not really a mountain biker, just a fitness bike rider, so my skills aren't top notch or at all impressive.

For some strange reason I decided to upgrade my ice cream truck ops brakes to XT last fall before the snow hit. Really liked the upgrade. Prior to that, I never really had any complaints about the super-cheap ebay hydraulics on my ogre. But I tried taking the Ogre down my backyard trail yesterday, and suddenly I feel like there's an excuse to upgrade.

Maybe I can go faster once I get more of the pokey's out of the way. And I think I realized for the first time that I need a dropper which isn't going to happen on the ogre.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    so i made my own...the Fargogre...

a bit of a hack to get a shifter working for it...the bar end i had is broken or something since i couldnt get it to index properly...if i like this set up i will get the paul components bar adapter dealy and a sram gx shifter/derailleur/cassette and upgrade to 11 speed...
    Nice Faergo.

I'd look at Gevenalle as well.

https://gevenalle.com/product/gx/

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if i go with a gx setup i can always use that if i put the jones bars on it...and then i have the paul adapter if i do anything crazy like slap some drop bars on the new bucksaw and have a new mexico anyroad bike!

mtbr member
    Will the new Ogre fork clear a 29+ tire? I have a Singular Gryphon fork of similar length that can do it, so I'm guessing yes.

I really love that non-suspension corrected look on the Ogre, but I'm loath to give up the more flexible tubing and shorter chainstays of my KM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Will the new Ogre fork clear a 29+ tire? I have a Singular Gryphon fork of similar length that can do it, so I'm guessing yes.

I really love that non-suspension corrected look on the Ogre, but I'm loath to give up the more flexible tubing and shorter chainstays of my KM.
    The KM fork should clear 29x3, so if you're not touring, why even look at the Ogre?

I'm pretty sure the Ogre fork clears 29x3 as well. Old ones did.

mtbr member

More trail riding.

Got out of town late yesterday afternoon and set-up camp at Eightmile Campground in the Mt Hood NF. After I got situated I did a nice little ramble to a fire lookout via a dirt road and then descended on some excellent singletrack. Made some dinner and did some reading until the stars came out. Woke up early, made breakfast and hit the trails. While it was a short trip and was car camping not bikepacking, it was great. I already have a hall pass to do the same thing next week. I'm really enjoying the Ogre and the ETs seem to be working quite well as trail tires. Still, I do want to set-up a dedicated mountain bike, possibly a KM or Wednesday. I need to get motivated and sell some stuff. Here's a few pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-34624581743_64c7661fd2_z.jpg  

surly ogre-34624583823_93393552af_z.jpg  

surly ogre-35268043142_8314cd3338_z.jpg  

surly ogre-35268037942_ed1161259b_z.jpg  

surly ogre-35268041712_bbf8d8005a_z.jpg  

surly ogre-35305077061_019c2e6b00_z.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi mate that looks like a great place to ride stella weather as well.

Spotted a guy rolling through town this afternoon on an Ogre, such a well proportioned bike just looks right.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Ordered mine today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    threw some different wheels/tires onto the farg-ogre blunt35's and wtb trail boss 2.4's..

surly ogre-dsc05111.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05112.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    threw some different wheels/tires onto the farg-ogre blunt35's and wtb trail boss 2.4's..
    Mr hamsterspam could you snag a photo of clearance at the rear using those Trail Boss as I was thinking of grabbing a pair but wasn't sure how tight the 2.4 would be on the rear...? I'm running my rear a little more forward in the drops than you are using your Monkeynuts:

surly ogre-rear-axle.jpg

They will be used with Halo 35mm wide rims.

cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    theres plenty of space with a set of monkey nuts,i had et's on rabbit holes on there before and they would only rub a tiny bit,2.4's should be no problem on 35's

surly ogre-dsc05117.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05118.jpg

handles great with these tires too,i like them better than the nano 2.1's which feel a bit tippy to me on the road,and are all but useless in the sand..pumped up to 35 psi the trail boss are fine on the road...the nanos are great for hardpack but around here sooner or later theres gonna be rim deep sand or gravel,or some unholy mixture of the two...

i would like to try a set of the riddler 2.25's at some point,i really like the riddler in the 45c version...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks bud that's helpful may go for a 2.25 rear 2.4 front setup for better clearance...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    yeah,i dont run a front derailleur so i dont need to worry about that but i still think it would be fine with the 2.4's front and back...for that matter a 29x3 fits up front just fine and theres not a ton of difference in size with a wtb ranger up front and a trail boss 2.4 on the back

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    So I woke up excited about my new XL Ogre but also a little anxious about sizing. I'll be curious what it feels like on singletrack, especially technical or steep trails although it shouldn't see too much use like that. Here's pictures of my XL BD and L Krampus for reference. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I'm looking at both the Krampus and the Ogre and have thought of an L size Krampus. But that's gonna be far away in the future, Ogre has a home waiting now. I thought about the L, but might just try and go with the XL frame. You say are happy that you went with the XL - what's your height/inseam?

I stand 6'2" with an inseam of 37". The problem is having no experience from any mtb bikes and so no frames to compare with. I like a upright riding style and would go with Jones Loop bars or similar so that would shorten the reach a bit.

Any thoughts on this deal? L/XL? XL too big of a frame after all?

mtbr member
    My height is 6' and pubic bone height is 90-91cm with a saddle height of 80cm. When you say 37" inseam, I assume you mean PBH. I'd definitely recommend a XL Ogre. I run mine with a short stem (80cm) but it handles fine. For rambling around on singletrack it's fine. It's great on dirt roads and is also fine as an urban hauler given all the rack options.

I'm hoping to try and XL Wednesday at some point and if I like it probably start working towards putting one of those together. No rush as the Ogre will easily see me through this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yeah,i dont run a front derailleur so i dont need to worry about that but i still think it would be fine with the 2.4's front and back...for that matter a 29x3 fits up front just fine and theres not a ton of difference in size with a wtb ranger up front and a trail boss 2.4 on the back
    1X here too dude, I have a Knard 3" that I've run on the front before with a Schwalbe 2.25" rear (as in pic). Decided to order a 2.4" & check it in the rear first & then get another for the front if it fits as fancy a change from the Knard...

surly ogre-ogre-1x.jpg

cheers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    My height is 6' and pubic bone height is 90-91cm with a saddle height of 80cm. When you say 37" inseam, I assume you mean PBH. I'd definitely recommend a XL Ogre. I run mine with a short stem (80cm) but it handles fine. For rambling around on singletrack it's fine. It's great on dirt roads and is also fine as an urban hauler given all the rack options.
    Thanks a lot! You're correct, meant the PHB being 37" (somewhere between 93 and 94cm). Got my eyes on the Ogre because as you mention, hoping it to be "great on dirt roads and also fine as an urban hauler". Will put up some updates after I get the Ogre all set up and give it a go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Ogre in Adventure Mode

2013 Med Ogre in bikepacking mode...
    surly ogre-file-jul-05-4-27-31-pm.jpg
    1x11 drivetrain w/ Race Face Turbine cranks & BB, 28t wolftooth elliptical chainring, Box 11-46 cassette and XT M8000 derailleur and shifter. Crank Bros Stamp flat pedals.
    Sun Ringle MTX 33 wheels w/ XT hubs & Maxxis Ardents 2.4 (f/r)
    XT brakes front & rear (180f, 160r).
    CC40 headset, Thomson stem, Jones loop bars, ESI extra chunky grips.
    Thomson seatpost, Cambium C17 saddle
    Mix of Revelate, Porcelain Rocket and Rogue Panda bags.

Had to use a Wolftooth Goat Link to lengthen the derailleur hanger arm enough to get clearance b/t the cassette and derailleur while keeping the monkey nuts in the dropouts, but now works great, has plenty of clearance and shifts smoothly.

1x11 drivetrain with 28t and 11-46 climbs like a goat! Liking it so much better than the old 3x9 I removed.

Wanting to switch to a different/better wheelset... mainly for better, more easily serviceable hubs and easier tubeless compatability. Might try to squeeze a little more (rim) width in there too. Looking at something like a ~35 mm rim with hope or dt swiss hubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    First time poster. Actually registered due to this particular thread.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2017 ogre so have a few questions.

If I would go for the 27.5+ option and use something like 2.8 tires front and rear, what kind of crankset should I use to get enough tire clearance? Is there any other option than the surly OD crank? Can I space out a regular 2x with chainring spacers or BB spacers or will a 1x be less trouble?
    Could the 3x that sit on the stock bike be converted well to a 1x to be used?

As for sizing I am leaning against a XL frame. I'm 185cm and 90cm PBH. I'm a little bit afraid that the reach will be a tad to long but when comparing it to my road bike I seem to get about the same or a bit less "effective reach"(ETT+stem+some distance to the brifter hoods).
    Is there some kind of advice of how short of a stem one could go with to sort that possible issue out?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. First time I build up a bike and first MTB-style bike as well so a lot of things to learn.

Thanks!
    Last edited by karlsson; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:25 PM.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsson View Post
    First time poster. Actually registered due to this particular thread.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2017 ogre so have a few questions.

If I would go for the 27.5+ option and use something like 2.8 tires front and rear, what kind of crankset should I use to get enough tire clearance? Is there any other option than the surly OD crank? Can I space out a regular 2x with chainring spacers or BB spacers or will a 1x be less trouble?
    Could the 3x that sit on the stock bike be converted well to a 1x to be used?

As for sizing I am leaning against a XL frame. I'm 185cm and 90cm PBH. I'm a little bit afraid that the reach will be a tad to long but when comparing it to my road bike I seem to get about the same or a bit less "effective reach"(ETT+stem+some distance to the brifter hoods).
    Is there some kind of advice of how short of a stem one could go with to sort that possible issue out?

Sorry if the questions are stupid. First time I build up a bike and first MTB-style bike as well so a lot of things to learn.

Thanks!
    You can do a 1x just fine with those tires. I am not aware of another crankset that moves the inner and middle ring that far out, maybe middleburn has one?

Are you able to test ride? I ride a medium and probably a large on the old geo ogre. I have a 32in inseam and am 5'9" tall.

A stem can always fix the reach issue. If this is for commuting than go big, if for singletrack I'd go smaller.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    You can do a 1x just fine with those tires. I am not aware of another crankset that moves the inner and middle ring that far out, maybe middleburn has one?

Are you able to test ride? I ride a medium and probably a large on the old geo ogre. I have a 32in inseam and am 5'9" tall.

A stem can always fix the reach issue. If this is for commuting than go big, if for singletrack I'd go smaller.
    Thanks for the response.
    That sounds good. I decided to go for the complete bike instead of frameset so 27.5+ will be a future upgrade.

Unfortunately I have not been able to test ride but tried to kind of emulate the fit by measuring on my road bike by sitting on the saddle and holding a bar at the approximate position where the handle bar will end up and it feels fine I think.

It seems like dfltroll is using it in the same way I will with gravel/fire road and some less technical single track and we are about the same measurements so I went with the XL.

Really stoked right now!

mtbr member
    I think you'll be fine with an XL. I run my bars high with an 8cm, 7 degree rise stem. Bars are Jones and it works out well. I was worried the handling with suffer with the short stem but it's fine. Also, I ride with my bars high, almost level with saddle so that shortens things up a bit. I think with a 90cm PBH and a large size bike, it would work but you'd have quite a lot of post showing and probably run a fairly long stem. The XL should be fine.

I'm looking toward another wheel set for it But probably not until next year. I was thinking it would be my main commuter but I just really love my LHT for commuting.

Enjoy your new bike and be sure to post photos here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah, my original intention with this bike was actually to get a comfy ride first of all so to get the bars up was kind of key and that's what kept me from the L-size. I think I would need quite a tower of spacers to reach the height wanted there.
    We'll see if it works out as I thought but it does sound promising when reading your thoughts. I feel more confident now so thanks for that

I'll surely share some photos when I get the bike up and running!

Coming from drop bar road and CX bikes this bike really moves borders for what can be done with a bike which I find extremely interesting. A lot of good ideas in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by karlsson View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    That sounds good. I decided to go for the complete bike instead of frameset so 27.5+ will be a future upgrade.

Unfortunately I have not been able to test ride but tried to kind of emulate the fit by measuring on my road bike by sitting on the saddle and holding a bar at the approximate position where the handle bar will end up and it feels fine I think.

It seems like dfltroll is using it in the same way I will with gravel/fire road and some less technical single track and we are about the same measurements so I went with the XL.

Really stoked right now!
    Looking forward of seeing how it looks and hearing how it feels. Remember to keep us updated!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Help with the size of an Ogre with road handlebar

Hello everyone, I introduce myself,

I am from Barcelona (Catalunya) and I am riding a new bike from scratch to make trips around the world. As main features will be a Surly Ogre with an internal Rohloff shift and a road handlebar. Here I leave a link with all the settings.

The main problem I have is that I have compiled an Ogre 18 "and I have been told that with a road handlebar I am going to stay big.

I leave my measurements:
    -Height: 5ft 9.5 in (177cm)
    -Inseam: 32.7 "(83 cm)
    -Distance with open arms: 179 cm

Do you think I would be better off with a 16" frame?

I leave a photo of how I will get the bike.

surly ogre-untitled-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    How do you all feel about the hill bombingness and trail ripability of the new ogre? I loved my 08 monkey but when I tried the new one I was disappointed in its climbability, which though somewhat due to the monster tires must also be connected to the three degree slackening of HTA. (For contrast I rode a crust scapegoat with plus tires that climbed like a boss) So I was thinking of defecting to the steeper-HTA ogre but I'm worried that the other end of the spectrum might be too compromised. Is the new ogre pretty darn playful off the asphalt or is it gonna be significantly subdued relative to the monkey?

(No, no local shops have an ogre in stock for me to try at this time)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ffrago View Post
    The main problem I have is that I have compiled an Ogre 18 "and I have been told that with a road handlebar I am going to stay big.

I leave my measurements:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	1147300
    The image looks like a 16" to me? I take it that your proposed bike will be built the same? Have you ridden the bike in the image?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by ffrago View Post
    Hello everyone, I introduce myself,

I am from Barcelona (Catalunya) and I am riding a new bike from scratch to make trips around the world. As main features will be a Surly Ogre with an internal Rohloff shift and a road handlebar. Here I leave a link with all the settings.

I leave my measurements:

I am the same height and inseam as you. I ride a new style ogre in a medium and would ride a large in the old style. If this bike is going to be a tourer and road usage I'd go larger rather than smaller, it will stretch you out more on those longer rides while also giving you more inside frame space.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Monkey nuts question: My buddy has the O.D. green ogre, bought stock built. The other day we did a gravel grind and he wasn't pleased with the handling, said it felt like a long truck. I told him to take the monkey nuts out and lose probably 1/2"+ off his chainstay length to "liven" up the handling. As we proceeded with the trailside wrenching, the brake rotor wouldn't fit, and the caliper was already slid all the way forward. I didn't see if it was a stock Avid brake adapter or Surly, running BB7 brake. How have you guys worked around this?

Did I catch a niner+?
    What size rotor did he install? If this was direct from a shop it should be 160 on a sulry only rear adapter. If it was used and someone installed a larger rotor and just moved the wheel forward that would do it or used a non surly disc adapter it might not work. I think the surly adapter more or less moves the rotor in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What size rotor did he install? If this was direct from a shop it should be 160 on a sulry only rear adapter. If it was used and someone installed a larger rotor and just moved the wheel forward that would do it or used a non surly disc adapter it might not work. I think the surly adapter more or less moves the rotor in.
    Bought completely stock from the shop, Avid 160mm rotor. If it is a Surly adapter already I'm guessing that Surly intended use with monkey nuts only (which seems ridiculous to me). This would leave me with only option of using a 180/Avid 185 mm adapter with 160mm rotor to get more clearance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the rasta ogre...

needed the drop bars from the last iteration for the straggler...had all the red parts on a cross check that im selling...so a few yellow and gold bits and bobs later...

hope pro4 hubs/alex anventurer rims/wtb riddler 700x45c
    hope stainless bottom bracket
    spank pedals
    diety seatpost
    salsa seatpost collar
    halo skewers
    esi chunky grips

surly ogre-dsc05119.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05124.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05122.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05120.jpgsurly ogre-dsc05126.jpg

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122