Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: surly ogre

I Ride for Donuts
    Or a "low clamp" in SRAM language. I actually fit a "bottom swing" Shimano on there, but it wants to clamp right at the lower water bottle mount bolt, becuase that's so low on these frames (because of the bend). If you fitted a "high clamp" or "bottom swing) one on there, you could never use those mounts.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Have posted this on the build thread, but I think this one deserves a couple of pics too.
    My Ogre:

I'm now trying to find a rear rack for it. I'm looking at the Tubus Vega and Cargo. The Vega looks like a good option for the intended use. I plan to carry some panniers for daily use but only a drybag on top of it for travelling. The Cargo looks a little too intrusive and overkill for this

Nice looking Ogre. What size is it?

Ogre owners can you help me decide on a frame size?. I am torn between an 18 and a 20 and not sure which way to go. I currently ride a specialized stump jumper 29er size large and it fits great but I am on the bottom of its sizing range. Before that I had a large Mojo Sl and ride a 54 Supersix SL for my roadie. My seat post height from BB center to top of the seat post is 724mm which leaves very little seat post in the seat tube when running a 330mm seat post on a 18. Also my top tube horizontal measures to be 585mm on my SJ. My stand over height on my SJ is 813mm and is on the tight size. My SJ has a very similar look to Zaskar's Ogre with reference to saddle to handle bar height and stem length. I was hopping to have the same look I am 5'11

Thanks

I Ride for Donuts
    Get a tape measure and measure the ETT of your most comfortable bike, and compare that to the Ogre charts on Surly's site. Get the Ogre that's the closest to your ideal ETT. It's really that simple in my opinion. Standover, BB height, etc will all vary on various frames/geometries and is hard to compare, but ETT is the one that is dependent on your body.

mtbr member
    FYI the top tube length for a 19" Stumpy is 615mm. The 20" Ogre is 616.3mm.

Can you find someone in your area with a 20" Ogre or Karate Monkey?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzo149 View Post
    My SJ has a very similar look to Zaskar's Ogre with reference to saddle to handle bar height and stem length. I was hopping to have the same look I am 5'11
    Thanks
    I am 5'11" as well, but my PBH* is 88/89cm and my saddle height is 79cm. That means I have relatively long legs for my height. I chose the 20 because of the ETT and a massive amount of seatpost would have been exposed on the 18. I made the right choice.

Compare the ETT of your current rides and buy the size that is the closest.

*Pubic Bone Height, this is not your inseam as in pants
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    My Ogre is a size 20

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Ogre is a size 20
    Thank for the info.

Zaskar would you be able to get a quick measurement from the center of your bars to the center of your seat post.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you'r asking for the effective top tube then it is 616mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you'r asking for the effective top tube then it is 616mm
    ETT is to the steer tube. I was looking for physical measurement from the top center of your seat post to your handle bar center. Not published values. Should be an easier comparision to my current ride, which looks to have a very simular stance to your bike.

From the other info shared I should be ok on the 20 but would like that to re-assure.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Using only math, the horizontal line between the seatpost and the handlebar (with a 90mm stem) is 729.85mm

mtbr member
    I'm excited for my Ogre. I just volunteered to take over trail maintenance for my local trail so I'll be using it to haul my tools for work parties and solo adventures. Carrying a chainsaw for a few miles wears you out. Any recommendations on racks? I see a good representation of few in this thread. Planned on just going with Surly's. I'll be doing some shopping for some gear bags and possibly a trailer for the future.

Expected delivery next week!

mtbr member
    Tubus Cargo.
    Don't actually own one (yet) but they seem to have universal praise, specially on touring specific forums

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Using only math, the horizontal line between the seatpost and the handlebar (with a 90mm stem) is 729.85mm
    Thanks for the info. Have you weighed your bike?

Any one else have complete weights with out fenders bags etc...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    I'm excited for my Ogre. I just volunteered to take over trail maintenance for my local trail so I'll be using it to haul my tools for work parties and solo adventures. Carrying a chainsaw for a few miles wears you out. Any recommendations on racks? I see a good representation of few in this thread. Planned on just going with Surly's. I'll be doing some shopping for some gear bags and possibly a trailer for the future.

Expected delivery next week!
    I own both the Tubus Cargo and a Surly Nice rack. If you'll be carrying a chainsaw on it, definitely go with the Nice Rack. Much burlier. The Cargo is nice and light though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @senorserioso

keep in mind that if you'll be using the surly rear rack on a size small ogre frame, you'll need to ask them for longer struts for the seatstays
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    I own both the Tubus Cargo and a Surly Nice rack. If you'll be carrying a chainsaw on it, definitely go with the Nice Rack. Much burlier. The Cargo is nice and light though.
    That's interesting, as nearly every other comparation between those racks said that the Cargo was a lot better

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up on the racks. Burly and ogre-ish is definitely what I'm after.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's interesting, as nearly every other comparation between those racks said that the Cargo was a lot better
    While the Nice Rack is much burlier I am not sure that it has any more weight capacity than the Cargo.

mtbr member
    Technically the Cargo has a higher weight capacity (88 lbs) than the Nice Rack (80 lbs). However, the Nice Rack weighs twice as much and the tubing is much burlier... YMMV, but if I was strapping a chainsaw on, I'd feel more confident with the Surly rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Technically the Cargo has a higher weight capacity (88 lbs) than the Nice Rack (80 lbs). However, the Nice Rack weighs twice as much and the tubing is much burlier... YMMV, but if I was strapping a chainsaw on, I'd feel more confident with the Surly rack.
    I own both racks. The Cargo is the better design by far and I have more faith in it. The Nice rack uses more material, but that doesn't make it stronger. In particular the way it attached to the bike is lame.

My Nice rack has been gathering dust in my parts bin for years. I do all my chainsaw hauling with the Tubus.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Great to hear your personal experiences, I'll see what my local shop can order. If the Tubus is as good as you say it is, I'll go with that. Worth it for durability.

What didn't you like about the Nice rack's mounting?

mtbr member

My 2 sense

Quote Originally Posted by SenorSerioso View Post
    Great to hear your personal experiences, I'll see what my local shop can order. If the Tubus is as good as you say it is, I'll go with that. Worth it for durability.

What didn't you like about the Nice rack's mounting?
    I don't have much insight on the Nice, but i have been rocking a Cargo for 5,000 or so touring miles and recently transferred it to my Ogre 24"(pics on page 19 of this thread). It's super sturdy and has held every bit of 80lbs. You should know that the U stabilizer bar under the platform will make it difficult to run a rear fender so you'll likely have to improvise a crud-catcher style contraption. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Surly Racks

I want to like the Surly racks but they have their shortcomings.

The rear Nice Rack fits pretty well on a 20" Ogre, except I had to put a stack of washers between the bottom struts and the dropouts. This is because the dropouts have a flat surface, and the struts widen just above the flat mounting end.

The front rack is pretty much a disaster. Yes, it's possible to get it mounted, but it is obvious it wasn't designed for such a wide fork or for a disk brake. And the last straw is that once you have figured out a combination of tweaking, bending, and spacers that will get it mounted on the Ogre fork, you find that those water bottle/anything cage mounting bosses are rendered completely unusable. Mine is going back on my rim brake LHT where there are zero fitment issues. I have a Salsa Down Under/Minimalist combo I'll try on the Ogre next.

I Ride for Donuts
    Not to distract from the rack talk, but it's been too long since pictures!

new shoes for my drop bar ogre this weekend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-picture1.jpg  

surly ogre-picture2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll add some pictures as well. First, the Ogre in adventure mode. I'm getting it dialed in, with about 150 miles on it so far. I rode about 25 miles of dirt/gravel fire road on Saturday with about 3000' of elevation gain, and certainly enjoyed myself.

Second, new tires here as well, a pair of 700x38 Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires. Very nice so far in gravel and on hardpack, and roll well on the road (almost as nice as the XRs, but certainly with more bite). This tire reminds me of the Marathon Extreme, which has one of my favorite tread patterns, but is much more affordable.

More pictures from this weekend on my blog, for anyone curious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-img_1752.jpg  

surly ogre-img_1753.jpg  

Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast