Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,500 of 2170

Thread: surly ogre

  1. #1401
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    164
    Nice looking with the drop bars. Leaning towards doing the same to mine over the winter. Is that a M frame?

  2. #1402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    Thanks

    The frame is an L (20"). With a 60mm stem I got the same ergos I had on the 58cm LHT

  3. #1403
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    164
    What stem length did you have before?

  4. #1404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    I had a 90mm stem on the LHT

  5. #1405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    423
    Good timing on the post, i'm looking at doing mine too. although i was looking at brifters but now thinking bar ends could be a good option too.

    interesting to note the shorter stem as i was thinking how much shorter i'd need to also.

  6. #1406
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfltroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    935
    This conversation about drops on an Ogre makes me think that it sure would be nice if Surly came out with their version of the Fargo. You know, geometry geared towards drops but with the Ogre/ECR/Troll rear. The current version of the Fargo is far removed from what Surly would likely release.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

  7. #1407
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    This conversation about drops on an Ogre makes me think that it sure would be nice if Surly came out with their version of the Fargo. You know, geometry geared towards drops but with the Ogre/ECR/Troll rear. The current version of the Fargo is far removed from what Surly would likely release.
    Would there be much (any?) benefit in something like this? Having ridden dirt drops and Jones, I much prefer the Jones. Lots of hand positions with the benefit of having more places to install gizmo's and bags.

  8. #1408
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    Converting the Ogre to drops was as easy as comparing it's reach with the LHT and then subtract the difference (30mm) to the stem. The stack was actually nearly the same.

    I'd love to try the Jones bars, but they are way to expensive for a set of aluminum handlebars

  9. #1409
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfltroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Converting the Ogre to drops was as easy as comparing it's reach with the LHT and then subtract the difference (30mm) to the stem. The stack was actually nearly the same.

    I'd love to try the Jones bars, but they are way to expensive for a set of aluminum handlebars
    For me, sizing it up wouldn't be that simple. I'd require an Ogre with a longer headtube if I wanted to get the bars up where I wanted. Sure, I could just use spacers but already on my LHT I'm on a huge stack of spacer. Also, I don't want to ride a bike with drops and an 80mm stem. I think there's space in Surly's line up for a dedicated dirt drop touring bike without being redundant.

    I doubt it'll happen. I guess soon enough (Aug?) we'll know if Surly if releasing any new products this year. I didn't notice they have some new bike colors (Troll, KM) and there are some new socks and hats on offer.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

  10. #1410
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    I loved the last 6 months on my LHT, but it was not perfect.
    So I let my LHT and an Ogre have a child and this is their offspring:

    Attachment 997551Attachment 997552
    Wow, has it really been six months since you got your LHT?

    I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Ogre.

  11. #1411
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    I wanted the same ergos I had on the LHT, so it was easy for me. If I wanted true dirt drop ergos I'll just need a stem with some angle (15-20ļ?). The current one it has 0ļ.
    Regarding stem length, many dropbar bikes are being specified already with 70-80mm stems.
    But it's a matter of preference anyway.

    What I wanted to say is that it's not that hard nor awkward to build a drop bar Ogre

  12. #1412
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    Wow, has it really been six months since you got your LHT?

    I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Ogre.
    Yep, six months. Felt like a couple of year for me, that's how familiar I got with the LHT. almost 100miles per week, so that helped to.

    About the Ogre, I already knew the frame, I had one of the early ones in 2012. This new one seems to have some differences, like some extra braze-ons and the chainstays seem to be more curved.

    About the ED Coat, seems to be thick and solid, to the point that Surly seems to consider it the main finish of the frame. The paint is absolute crap and chips easily, but it's a Surly so no surprises here

  13. #1413
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fire_strom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    230

    Paid Spam: Frame Set for Sale Medium

    I've jumped ship and turned into a Big Dummy. I've got to sell the Ogre frame and some parts to fund it. This frame is for sale in the classifieds here. You can search previous posts by my user name and see how I had it built. It was a rad kid hauling town bike. Frankly, underutilized for it's true potential, but I guess that's one of the beauties of these bikes. Versatility and ass-kicking in any configuration. Truly polyvalent! In any case it is for sale and most of the parts you see (if you look) in the pictures I posted of it in this thread are also available. I'm in a selling mood so feel free to contact me with any requests.

    -G

    surly ogre-img_2512.jpg
    Last edited by fire_strom; 07-16-2015 at 02:10 PM.

  14. #1414
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    Journey - Journey Racks - Racks - Products - Axiom Performance Gear
    Anyone fit a Journey Tubular on their Ogre with a larger tire (Big Apple 2.35)? I went for the adjustable at this time but I like the load capacity option on this rack and seems very solid vs adjustable stays.

    Anyone?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  15. #1415
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    108
    Hi.

    I have fitted my Ogre with a tubular adjustable, and been happy with it. We also have two of their Uni-fit racks, one on my Pugsley, and one on my wife's Giant 29'r.

    We have never carried more than 20lbs on these racks, choosing trailers for big loads, and/or distributing loads to frame and front for handling reasons.

    The (adjustable )Axiom racks we use are great. I doubt that we could overload them, and still be able to pedal our bikes.

    My adjustable journey fits for 2.5" tires easy.

    Please consider moving load to the front, and not worrying how much the Axiom will handle.

  16. #1416
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbbob View Post
    Hi.

    I have fitted my Ogre with a tubular adjustable, and been happy with it. We also have two of their Uni-fit racks, one on my Pugsley, and one on my wife's Giant 29'r.

    We have never carried more than 20lbs on these racks, choosing trailers for big loads, and/or distributing loads to frame and front for handling reasons.

    The (adjustable )Axiom racks we use are great. I doubt that we could overload them, and still be able to pedal our bikes.

    My adjustable journey fits for 2.5" tires easy.

    Please consider moving load to the front, and not worrying how much the Axiom will handle.
    Thanks, I will be looking to add a low rider rack to my bike next.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  17. #1417
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Yep, six months. Felt like a couple of year for me, that's how familiar I got with the LHT. almost 100miles per week, so that helped to.

    About the Ogre, I already knew the frame, I had one of the early ones in 2012. This new one seems to have some differences, like some extra braze-ons and the chainstays seem to be more curved.

    About the ED Coat, seems to be thick and solid, to the point that Surly seems to consider it the main finish of the frame. The paint is absolute crap and chips easily, but it's a Surly so no surprises here
    Have to agree about the paint. Soooo Soofftt.

    The ED is what it is all about, for longevity. But, living in SE AK, (we had 10 1/2" of rain last month), I spray BoeShield about every month or two into all the welding vent holes in the frame. Paint, you can spot fix at will. Corrosion protection, not so much.


    Cheers
    Kevin.

  18. #1418
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    For those with a rack on the back (which I imagine is most) do you have to space out the rack slighty with small spacers? It seems like the area above the mounting point is wider then where the mount is so it sort of pushes the rack out slightly.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  19. #1419
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,695
    jones loop bars are well worth the money in my book,especially if you are going long distances...

    i dont remember using any spacers aside from some washers when mounting the bontager rack on mine...if you want a burly rack get one of the surly racks,you could strap an elephant to one of those things,they do weigh about sifty pounds...

    been playing around with this ogre for 2 years now,and thousands of miles,by far this has been my favorite set up running a knard 29x3 up front and a maxxis ardent 2.4 on the back...and this is basically my road bike!
    at 15psi the knard rolls fast and provides great cushioning,plus it just floats over the stray sand pile on the side of the road,and pretty much ready for anyplace i would take this bike..

    running it as a kick down 2x9 right now,just put a race face narrow wide 36 tooth up front and have a 24 tooth to kick down to...nice to have that option hauling the trailer..

    surly ogre-012.jpgsurly ogre-013.jpg

  20. #1420
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    164
    I decided to add a rear rack to my Ogre. I have the Salsa Wanderlust on my Vaya. I tried it on the Ogre and thought it sat up too high and looked out of place. I researched a bunch of racks and settled on the Blackburn Central. I like the minimalist look, it is adjustable so I could mount it low. I think it looks pretty slick and seems sturdy. It matches up well with the Salsa Minimalist rack on the front.




  21. #1421
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    Finished project:

    surly ogre-img_20150822_141827946_hdr.jpg
    surly ogre-img_20150822_141809016.jpg

    Can't stop riding this thing

  22. #1422
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953

    Crappy pic

    18in
    Salsa Mukluk Fork
    Nuvinci laced to Salsa Gordo
    Paul Word laced to Stans Flow
    2x Big Apples 2.35
    Cascadia Fenders
    On-One Mary Bars
    BB7s
    Shimano LX
    32x20 gearing

    Currently in the process of having a custom frame bag made.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  23. #1423
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,695
    i guess im pretty well done with mine with the addition of a matching blunt35 on the rear,about the only thing left is to slap on the expanded range 10 speed and slx derailleur/shifter from my krampus when i upgrade that to xt 11 speed...
    and i highly recommend the 29x3 tire up front...
    surly ogre-001.jpg

  24. #1424
    rth009
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    556

    My New Ogre

    I had a bunch of old mtb parts hanging around so when I sold my old mukluk and had room in the garage I picked up an ogre frame to be my townie, kid hauling in chariot/trailabike, and inclement weather bike. I have a set of cascadia 29er fenders and an sks chainboard chain guard to put on it, but I want to get it dialed in and ride it on some single track first. Probably going to need to get a tugnut for the fenders and lose the big chain ring to get the chainguard on.

    wheels are DT Swiss X470 with sram 506 hubs from a 2011 Salsa Vaya
    Shimano XT 3x9 drivetrain (much of it was born on 2009 Salsa Big Mama)
    Avid bb7 (from 2012 mukluk 2) with new speed dial 7 levers
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Salsa pro moto handlebar from a 2009 Big Mama
    Salsa seat post and wtb saddle from 2012 Mukluk 2

    surly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpgsurly ogre-image.jpg
    Last edited by rth009; 08-24-2015 at 07:11 AM.

  25. #1425
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Finished project:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150822_141827946_HDR.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	1010134
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150822_141809016.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	1010133

    Can't stop riding this thing
    I know you've gone thru a series of bikes trying to find the right one for your needs. Do you think the Ogre is your final stop for awhile?

    Also, since we've discussed bikes in several threads, I finally decided on the Ogre's older brother, the Karate Monkey. I got the frameset on Friday and built it up on Saturday. So far, I absolutely love it!


  26. #1426
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ze_Zaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    858
    Hello Corwin,

    Glad to know you pulled the trigger on that one.

    Yes, my Ogre should be with me for a while. It does everything I need.
    I'm rejoining with my former mtb crew, so I'm riding a lot more singletrack than I used to on my Camargue/LHT days.

  27. #1427
    mtbr member
    Reputation: asollie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    322
    I'd love to get my hands on a used XXL Ogre. If anyone sees one or has one let me know. Or if you're interested in trading for a 64cm Disc Trucker.
    Bikes for the Very Tall - A list I maintain of the largest bikes in the industry. Includes mtb and road.

  28. #1428
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

    I am getting back into cycling after a long period of being involved in other activities and I'm looking into doing my own Ogre build for touring on dirt/gravel/paved roads as well as some easy single track. This is my first time doing my own build starting from just a frameset.

    My question may be somewhat naive so please forgive me. In looking at the Frame Highlights for the Ogre it states that Chainring Clearance is 26/36/46t. I have not found a good explanation of what exactly is "chainring clearance" but I may have the basic idea. However, does the spec from Surly indicate that I cannot run any chainring smaller than 26t and that running a 24/36/48 crankset, for example, would not be possible ??

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  29. #1429
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    407
    ^that refers to max size. Anything smaller would fit.

  30. #1430
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Oh, I get it now. That makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks alot.

  31. #1431
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    230
    The 48 might be too big and run too close to the chainstays, but sometimes those published numbers are conservative and you can get away with something a little bigger. If you're getting it built at a shop ask them if they could try it with something they have in stock.

    That being said, 48/11 is something I only use when flying down hill and that's on 2.0" tires. Bigger tires would be even taller so I wouldn't bother with such a high gear.

  32. #1432
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Cut View Post
    My question may be somewhat naive so please forgive me. In looking at the Frame Highlights for the Ogre it states that Chainring Clearance is 26/36/46t. I have not found a good explanation of what exactly is "chainring clearance" but I may have the basic idea. However, does the spec from Surly indicate that I cannot run any chainring smaller than 26t and that running a 24/36/48 crankset, for example, would not be possible ??

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hey Steel Cut,
    I'm not sure why Surly state that a 46 is the largest chainring that will fit, I'm running a Deore FC-M590 crankset with 26-36-48 (trekking) rings with no problems on my Ogre.

    Here is a pic of my Ogre but doesn't give detail of the chainring clearance, can get a pic the clearance up later...

  33. #1433
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    874
    I used the same crankset (48/36/26) on my KM, which should be the same deal as the Ogre.

    But hey, Steel Cut - just a suggestion... I quickly switched that crankset out for a 38/26 double. If you calculate out the ratios you'll see you get two longer ratios which don't work out too well with large tires i.e. they are kinda long except for going down hills. The real advantage is you'll wind up pedaling most of your road tours with a better chainline - if I hadn't broke my big ring and FD on some ST, I probably would have kept it as it was, but I liked the 2X better.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  34. #1434
    likes beer
    Reputation: manida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    342
    Last edited by manida; 09-08-2015 at 07:10 AM.

  35. #1435
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    First time poster, cycling n00bert here. Excellent forum you guys have and great thread! Bike shopping!: Iíd like to make use of the miles of multi-use paths and well packed, dirt trails just outside my front door and walking is getting boring. As a minimalist, Iím looking to purchase a 29er bike that is well-made, has good lines, rigid frame, durable, large, potential for re-sale value (maybe), and not too flashy. Iím 6í tall and 225# and would rather not wrench on a bike often, despite my gear-savvy roots. I did ride an Ogre last week, and man was that thing smooth!! But the $1,600 part, do I really have to lay out that kind of cheddar for a decent bike? I have no problem doing so, other than the initial sting if the value is there. I like nice things and donít have many, so can you guys recommend me a bike? Is there an alternative for my needs I should be considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advanceÖMay be commuting 7 miles but probably never bikepacking. Many thanks! Are you happy with your bike/glad you bought it?

  36. #1436
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    repeat post deleted
    Last edited by highplainsrider; 09-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.

  37. #1437
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    If you're looking to ride the crushed limestone trails that are flat and easy in your area then any bike will do, I say this assuming you want to ride the trails you are walking.

    If you have something specific to attach to a bike or want to do with it then we can talk about the Ogre and if it is right for you. If the price is a sting you could look at used on your local forums or CL I am sure there are plenty of already built up options.

    Currently my ogre is pulling commuter duties with a rack, pannier, frame bag, comfy bars, IGH, reflective things, and lights galore. Gets me to and from work, around the city, to class with books and generally anywhere I want to go. I even did a road group ride with it when I didn't feel like pulling out the road bike one day.


    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  38. #1438
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    First time poster, cycling n00bert here. Excellent forum you guys have and great thread! Bike shopping!: Iíd like to make use of the miles of multi-use paths and well packed, dirt trails just outside my front door and walking is getting boring. As a minimalist, Iím looking to purchase a 29er bike that is well-made, has good lines, rigid frame, durable, large, potential for re-sale value (maybe), and not too flashy. Iím 6í tall and 225# and would rather not wrench on a bike often, despite my gear-savvy roots. I did ride an Ogre last week, and man was that thing smooth!! But the $1,600 part, do I really have to lay out that kind of cheddar for a decent bike? I have no problem doing so, other than the initial sting if the value is there. I like nice things and donít have many, so can you guys recommend me a bike? Is there an alternative for my needs I should be considering? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advanceÖMay be commuting 7 miles but probably never bikepacking. Many thanks! Are you happy with your bike/glad you bought it?
    the ogre is well worth the money,2+ years and i still havent broken any parts or had a single problem,great bike

  39. #1439
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the reply Mr Pink. Funny you should mention CL. After looking for weeks and giving up ... Wa Laa! Ogre for sale ridden 7 times with extras -- temping!! It's the only one and price is $50 off from new, but some extras. We shall see.

    I particularly like your reflective tire - that makes a lot of sense. For me, the only thing specific I'd like to attach is led lights galore, of every kind and maybe a 64 oz cage.

    hamsterspam- good review, glad to hear it. I can't work on bikes because a) i don't know anything about them, and b) all my tools were recently stolen. So durability is paramount coupled with the fact that I'm not easy on machinery... it gets used proper!
    Excited for the future....

  40. #1440
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,695
    i didnt know a thing about working on bikes until i got the ogre,now i do 90% of my own wrenching...
    i dont own a car and the ogre plus a BOB trailer is enough to deal with 95% of what i need to haul while still being fun to ride.its proven to be a tough,versatile bike thats done duty as everything from a skinny tire road bike to knobby tire off road machine.it really is a matter of just bolting some different parts on to have a whole different bike...
    i liked it so much i ended up with 4 surlys...

  41. #1441
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    I particularly like your reflective tire - that makes a lot of sense. For me, the only thing specific I'd like to attach is led lights galore, of every kind and maybe a 64 oz cage.

    This is what my mother did to her fat bike, just an idea.

    I have a LED piece that can go on the downtube that is battery operated. As far as the sides, I do take it very serious as to not be hit. The tires are just big apples reflex. My winter schwalbes are also reflective. This is also why I bought the sunlite wheel reflectors in the largest size they have.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  42. #1442
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,695
    out for a day of trail maintenance on the trusty ogre

    surly ogre-dscf0961.jpg

  43. #1443
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Nice bikes y'all! The complete Large Ogres in tanish gray have sold out for 2015,, so I think we have a build in progress -- sort of an impromptu, organic, free-form approach but hoping for good things by weeks end. ...

  44. #1444
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Orge has arrived!! Used as close to stock components as possible: Shimano Deore, Avid brakes, Micro shifters, Ardent tire, DT rims and a Jones Bend Bar with Ergo grips. I don't care how 'heavy' anyone thinks the bike is: it's solid, with near perfect geometry and rides super-nice.

    What's anyone done about where the optional rim brakes attach? I'm fearful of loosing the plastic covers. The stud is on there pretty tight, is it supposed to come off? What are the thread details of where a bolt could go into the stud, or frame? Anyone know what I mean? What do?? Many thanks

  45. #1445
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    What's anyone done about where the optional rim brakes attach? I'm fearful of loosing the plastic covers. The stud is on there pretty tight, is it supposed to come off? What are the thread details of where a bolt could go into the stud, or frame? Anyone know what I mean? What do?? Many thanks
    Yeah from memory that thread is a little oddball and I gave up trying to replace them with my original vision of stainless allen key headed bolts to match the forks "warts" (cage/rack mount holes) I filled. I've left the rear as is, but the front, I've mated the brake bosses to a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. I had to move the "stay" which mounts at the fork crown but that was it to make it fit.


  46. #1446
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Yeah from memory that thread is a little oddball and I gave up trying to replace them with my original vision of stainless allen key headed bolts to match the forks "warts" (cage/rack mount holes) I filled. I've left the rear as is, but the front, I've mated the brake bosses to a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. I had to move the "stay" which mounts at the fork crown but that was it to make it fit.
    Hmm ok, thanks. Yes, none of the other stainless warts were threaded for the brake bosses... good to know you didn't find anything for there, maybe it's a custom thread? If not, I may have them in inventory but reluctant to look...or use anything galvanized.

    I will leave them intact for 'future prosperity.'

  47. #1447
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    Hmm ok, thanks. Yes, none of the other stainless warts were threaded for the brake bosses... good to know you didn't find anything for there, maybe it's a custom thread? If not, I may have them in inventory but reluctant to look...or use anything galvanized.

    I will leave them intact for 'future prosperity.'
    I knew I'd asked the same question myself.

    Had a squiz and viola:
    Thread holding in Surly Ogre brake bosses.

    I went back through my emails and confirm it was Ben from Surly who said the thread sizing was m10x1mm threading.

    Let me know if you find some stainless allen key headed bolts or similar of that thread.
    I had no joy when I was looking but that was back at 06-24-2013 and things change.
    Whats not available today might be tomorrow.

    Good luck with the search.



    Edit:
    An indťpendant confirmation of thread sizing of brake boss:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cantilever-Stu.../dp/B001GSONNA

  48. #1448
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I knew I'd asked the same question myself.

    Had a squiz and viola:
    Thread holding in Surly Ogre brake bosses.

    I went back through my emails and confirm it was Ben from Surly who said the thread sizing was m10x1mm threading.

    Let me know if you find some stainless allen key headed bolts or similar of that thread.
    I had no joy when I was looking but that was back at 06-24-2013 and things change.
    Whats not available today might be tomorrow.

    Good luck with the search.



    Edit:
    An indťpendant confirmation of thread sizing of brake boss:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cantilever-Stu.../dp/B001GSONNA
    Um hmm, thanks for sharing the useful info - I can trust anyone with that name.. No luck searching inventory here. However, I'm training for a 14 mile roundtrip ride into town this weekend where there are no less than a dozen LBS so I'll ask around.

    Re: the Amazon link and this part Amazon.com : BRAKE PART BOSS PLUG OR8 M103-M10x1.0 BK : Bike Brake Mounts And Adapters : Sports & Outdoors

    So the bosses will thread out, and this would thread into the frame? Not laying out that kind of cash for a bolt, but theoretically that's how it would work? I'd like that better than what's on there now..

    Cheers,
    Excellent bikes.

  49. #1449
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    U
    Re: the Amazon link and this part
    So the bosses will thread out, and this would thread into the frame? Not laying out that kind of cash for a bolt, but theoretically that's how it would work? I'd like that better than what's on there now..

    Cheers,
    Excellent bikes.
    I'd assume so.
    The thread is the same as whats stated so I can't see a reason why not.
    Of course you check before tossing your brake bosses.
    In fact even if they do fit fine, I'd hang onto the bosses in case down the track you decided to go back to v-brakes or decided to sell your frame.

  50. #1450
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikespug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    22
    Normally I wouldn't cross-post...but it's relevant and likely to be overlooked otherwise.

    Origin8 10x1 Brake Boss Plugs

    surly ogre-img_20151012_094946.jpg

    surly ogre-img_20151012_095008.jpg
    Assistant Manager and Body Geometry Fit Technician; Gator Cycle

  51. #1451
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    Recently put some 2.5" Maxxis Grifters on my favourite shopping bike. Soon to be fitted with Full mudguards and an Alfine 8 hub


  52. #1452
    rth009
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Recently put some 2.5" Maxxis Grifters on my favourite shopping bike. Soon to be fitted with Full mudguards and an Alfine 8 hub

    I like those tires, never seen them before. Looks like the 2.5 is only available in wire bead?

    What mudguards (fenders for us 'mericans) are you going to run with those tires?

    Ive got Ardent 2.4 front and Panaracer Rampage 2.35 rear on my Ogre and I have to run the Planet Bike Cascadia 29 2.3 fenders pretty far off the tire to make sure they do not rub (and they still do if it gets rough), but its the side knobs that rub and it doesnt look like those tires would have that problem, even if they are larger than my 2.35/2.4

  53. #1453
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    Yep, wire bead only in that size, although they do a 2.0 version in folding bead. I'm going to fit the SKS Bluemels 65mm wide guards and move the rear wheel back a little, to allow clearance, as it looks a little too tight at the moment.



    The tyres measure 64mm on these Sun Ringle MTX33 rims, so it's going to be pretty close!

  54. #1454
    rth009
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    556
    Wow, Ogres have a ton of tire clearance and those suckers fill it up.

    Im using one set of Monkey Nuts and a direct mount derailleur and I had no trouble getting the fenders jammed in there, but it may be much closer with those monster tires

  55. #1455
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    To be fair, that wheel is slammed right forward, so there's plenty of scope for moving it back, where there's more room.

    Will post some photos of the results

  56. #1456
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfltroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Recently put some 2.5" Maxxis Grifters on my favourite shopping bike. Soon to be fitted with Full mudguards and an Alfine 8 hub

    Just curious, is that an XL Ogre? What's your saddle height? I'm in between sizes. I ride a L Krampus whic is fine for trails but would be using the Ogre as an all-rounder, possibly with drops.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

  57. #1457
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    It's a XXL and I'm 6'7", with quite a long torso and relatively short legs

    Here's how it's currently set up, with 850mm top of saddle to BB.


  58. #1458
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    Actually, if anybody needs it, I can make the necessary adjustments to that BikeCad drawing, to illustrate different set-ups on the full range of Ogre sizes.

  59. #1459
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    One at a time, mind...

  60. #1460
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Recently put some 2.5" Maxxis Grifters on my favourite shopping bike. Soon to be fitted with Full mudguards and an Alfine 8 hub

    How do you like the tires? I'm planning to buy some Maxxis Torch tires for my Karate Monkey but they so new that I can't find many comments on them.

  61. #1461
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    How do you like the tires?
    Very grippy. I'm around 230lb and am quite happy running them at 35psi rear/30psi front. I think they'd be too draggy for long-distance rides, but I got them for shorter, town-based rides, where I can ride around without any fear of unseen potholes.

    I've also tried Halo Twin rails and Schwalbe Big Bens on the bike. Wasn't very keen on the Halos, as they weren't very confidence inspiring in the wet. The Big Bens were great and I happily rode those for up to 60 mile rides.

  62. #1462
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Very grippy. I'm around 230lb and am quite happy running them at 35psi rear/30psi front. I think they'd be too draggy for long-distance rides, but I got them for shorter, town-based rides, where I can ride around without any fear of unseen potholes.

    I've also tried Halo Twin rails and Schwalbe Big Bens on the bike. Wasn't very keen on the Halos, as they weren't very confidence inspiring in the wet. The Big Bens were great and I happily rode those for up to 60 mile rides.
    That's good to know because Big Apples/Bens are also on my short list.

  63. #1463
    likes beer
    Reputation: manida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    342
    Anyone have those brown Big Bens on a tan Ogre??? Would love to see how it looks.

  64. #1464
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    I do not have a pic but there is a local courier who has them on his black ogre. It looks ok to me the bike is pretty bare, obviously plenty of clearance for them.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  65. #1465
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Where're you guys seeing 29er Big Bens? I've been noticing the tread pattern is very similar to the popular Heidenau k60- a motorbike tire considered by many to have superior design which i liked a lot.

    I have the tanish gray Ogre and would consider the brown color, or black eventually.

    - Ben

  66. #1466
    .44
    Reputation: stremf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,220
    Quote Originally Posted by highplainsrider View Post
    Where're you guys seeing 29er Big Bens? I've been noticing the tread pattern is very similar to the popular Heidenau k60- a motorbike tire considered by many to have superior design which i liked a lot.

    I have the tanish gray Ogre and would consider the brown color, or black eventually.

    - Ben
    The "28" tires listed are "29ers" aka 700c (622 size).

    Big Ben HS 439 | Schwalbe North America

  67. #1467
    likes beer
    Reputation: manida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    342
    I actually just ordered the brown ones for my tan ogre. Will post pics when I have em.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

  68. #1468
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    The "28" tires listed are "29ers" aka 700c (622 size).

    Big Ben HS 439 | Schwalbe North America
    Ah ha, i see...

  69. #1469
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by manida View Post
    I actually just ordered the brown ones for my tan ogre. Will post pics when I have em.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
    Nice, do it up! I like the sounds of a Kevlar reinforced tire...makes sense, less flats

  70. #1470
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    8

  71. #1471
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Actually, if anybody needs it, I can make the necessary adjustments to that BikeCad drawing, to illustrate different set-ups on the full range of Ogre sizes.
    BN, any chance you'd save that in the BikeCad archives so it can be used as a starting point? I'm interested in looking at the geometry of the 18" frame but can figure out how to make the adjustments.

  72. #1472
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BareNecessities's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    No problem. It's in the archive now

    Surly Ogre | www.bikecad.ca

  73. #1473
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953

    Added a paul comp stem light mount and my bell on a spacer.


    I removed all Surly decals even the head badge, the bike has no decals left on it. It is now hopefully ugly and unattractive to bike thiefs. It does have a Revelate Surly bag though
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  74. #1474
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I removed all Surly decals even the head badge, the bike has no decals left on it. It is now hopefully ugly and unattractive to bike thiefs. It does have a Revelate Surly bag though
    That happened to my Troll after having it for a couple of years, and I actually liked the look. Of course, it still got stolen :/
    www.julianbender.net

    Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

  75. #1475
    likes beer
    Reputation: manida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    342
    CODE BROWN


    Last edited by manida; 11-17-2015 at 08:49 AM.

  76. #1476
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by manida View Post
    CODE BROWN
    Looking Good

  77. #1477
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfltroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    935

    650B by 3.0 Dirt Wizards.

    I wonder if these will fit in the Ogre? I don't even think Surly has announced them on their website yet.

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=77681
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

  78. #1478
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    I think they will fit front and rear on a 50mm rim.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  79. #1479
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2
    Hello everybody,

    I am pulling the hair out of my head and need some advice from the good people here. I found an old Raleigh frame and decided to use it as a project bike (learn how to build, try have a multiple use bike). It has been a huge success. This bike has been my geared training bike, pit bike for cross, tourer for France, fixed gear machine and Iíve done some mtb sportives on it.

    surly ogre-pic1.jpg

    Handles 2.4in tires no problem:
    surly ogre-pic2.jpg

    Fixed sprocket that bolts into the disc holes:
    surly ogre-pic3.jpg

    However I am afraid of the frame rusting from the inside out (the bike was not in good shape when I found it but I stripped and powder coated it) and I have some minor problems with the headset and rear rack. Also iíd prefer have a 29er rigid (also has cx tire choice benefits) than 26er for more air volume and easier ability to roll over some obstacles. Therefore I want to build up a new bike which will do everything this does. The ogre seems to fit my needs exactly, closely followed by the LHT, but the geometry numbers are really getting me in a dilemma.

    I really love the position I have on my bike. My saddle stays in the same position for all disciplines and I have no problems getting my arse behind the saddle when mtbing. I use a 120mm stem with the road bars and a 110mm stem with flat bars. I find the road position is about 1cm short of ideal but perfect for cross. I am far from an expert mtber but I much prefer my position on this bike than my Trek 6500 100mm hardtail. I also find I enjoy rigid much more.

    The bike will mainly be used as a daily commuter with drops (30k commute each way). Its second main task will be single speed cross training bike and pit bike for races. Finally it will be used about a dozen times a year for xc mtbing.

    I am 5ft10. Generally I like riding slightly small road frames with longer stems. My road bike is a 54 frame with 120mm stem and I use a 130mm stem on my track bike. The geometry of this raleigh is almost identical to a 54cm 26 LHT. However the headtube on the LHT is a bit longer than my Raleigh. I have calculated my stack and reach as 530mm and 370mm respectively.

    The effective top tube and reach on the ogre seems crazy long. Even with a size 16 I will require a relatively short stem. (Old frame reach 370+120=490mm, Ogre frame reach 394+100=494mm). So I think Iíll need a 100m stem to replicate my road bar position and a 90mm stem for my flat bar position. I think I can get around the stack problems on the size 16 ogre as a modern threadless headset and a negative rise stem will work a treat. I think I like the fact that the headtube is 1degree slacker on this frame size as Iíd prefer more stable handling. If I was to go to a size 18, which Iíd prefer due to the ridiculous size seat post Iíd require for the size 16 (400mm minimum), I think the position will be too upright and I have always liked having longer stems. While never having ridden short stems I donít think Iíd like to have a 70mm stem clamped on the bike.

    So please advise me whether you think a 16 or 18 would be better, remembering the main riding priorities. Also do you think there are any negatives of a ridiculously long seatpost? Finally do you think modern mtbs handle well with longer stems? (90mm would seem to be on the long end of the scale now!)

    If only the LHT could take 2.4in tires and didnít have a slightly too low BB!

    Merci beaucoup mes amis
    Ross

  80. #1480
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2
    I've decided to get an 18in troll instead. It has much lower stack. The only thing it is missing is 29er wheels, but ultimately that makes things cheaper for me as I already have 26in wheels. I was also struggling to find appropriate non-disc 29er rims.

  81. #1481
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    164
    Added some SKS 65 fenders to the Ogre. Probably will only use them if it is seriously muddy. I also have a Pika seat pack and a handlebar roll. I figure I can run racks, panniers, softbags or any combination.






  82. #1482
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    9

    Bikepacking Ogre & Troll

    Got back from a bikepacking trip on my new Ogre and the wife's World Troller. Both performed great.

    surly ogre-2015-12-20-16-03-06.jpg

    The builds are pretty straightforward SRAM GX 1x11 with XD driver for wide range 10-42 cassettes. I need a low q-factor crankset for my knees but didn't want to go carbon fiber with the 156mm q-factor SRAM crankset, so I cobbled together something with White Industries road cranks, a 118mm bottom bracket, XX1 adapter, and XX1 chainring. This gives me a very low q-factor of about 150mm with an ideal chainline of 47mm and about 6mm of clearance between cranks and chainstays which is the minimum Surly recommends.

    I built the wheelsets out with SON dynamos for charging devices. Stan's Flow EX rims on my Ogre set up tubeless fantastically with the Ardent tires while the Velocity Dually's in the Troll took some trial end error with Gorilla tape to work with the Dirt Wizard tires.

    I've never used disc brakes prior to this build but the TRP Spykes are really nice and easy to work with.

    Jones Loop H-Bars are really ideal for this kind of riding- I didn't miss my drop bars one bit.

    More pics at Bikepacking Big Bend Ranch - Album on Imgur

  83. #1483
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26

    Steel got too real

    After 14 months, crack on chainstay brace drive side behind the BB.
    20" Ogre. Waiting on Warranty claim.
    Still rides fine, sometimes it makes noise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails surly ogre-1933229_10153149355526688_7480861293475691473_o.jpg  

    surly ogre-12466250_10153149354831688_6826635167719379315_o.jpg  


  84. #1484
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Bummer, how did you spot it/know it had happened?

  85. #1485
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    I added a basket....




    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  86. #1486
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26
    I was getting creaking hauling weight when putting power down, first noticed in granny gear. I thought it was the BB because it was from XTR crankset from 2007 so I replaced, the bearings were rough but not terrible. Noise came back as soon as I was hauling weight uphill again, so I knew it had to be something and I had already tightened my chainring bolts and everything else carefully and with grease, I used my night light to check the welds and found/ could feel the crack around the chainstay brace. I was hoping I was wrong so I had a shop confirm it and then start the warranty process.

  87. #1487
    likes beer
    Reputation: manida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Colett View Post
    I was getting creaking hauling weight when putting power down, first noticed in granny gear. I thought it was the BB because it was from XTR crankset from 2007 so I replaced, the bearings were rough but not terrible. Noise came back as soon as I was hauling weight uphill again, so I knew it had to be something and I had already tightened my chainring bolts and everything else carefully and with grease, I used my night light to check the welds and found/ could feel the crack around the chainstay brace. I was hoping I was wrong so I had a shop confirm it and then start the warranty process.
    guessing you couldn't start that warrant process without a receipt?

  88. #1488
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26
    zzz

  89. #1489
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    26
    What was your stem length and handlebar width? Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by notequal View Post
    Thanks for the great write-up and pictures. I'm an inch taller than you but with shorter legs, so for me, an 18" stock build me perfectly. I feel like I am riding in my bike and not on top of it, which I think is good for the longer cross-country/commute rides I like to do.

  90. #1490
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4
    surly ogre-dsc02611-2-1.jpg

    winter build up

    rohloff hub
    son hub
    son front and tail light
    syntace c3 tri bar
    sq lab saddle
    ryde sputnik rims
    deore crank and surly stainless steel chainwheel (35x17t)
    schwalbe mondials 50mm
    gilles berthoud 60mm fenders
    magura hs33 brakes
    king cage bottle holders
    ortlieb ultimate 5 classic handlebar bag
    revelate designs gas tank

    rides through brick walls like squeezing ripe cherries

  91. #1491
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by gdabw View Post
    winter build up


    gilles berthoud 60mm fenders
    Nice - your pic reminds me why I too went with the stainless Berthoud fenders

    Be aware you may have to raise the rear fender stays to suit some trailers.

  92. #1492
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Nice - your pic reminds me why I too went with the stainless Berthoud fenders

    Be aware you may have to raise the rear fender stays to suit some trailers.
    quit a lot of work to get the fenders right on the ogre, especially around the suspension corrected fork. I have read your ogre-gilles-berthoud thread but came out with a different solution though

    surly ogre-dsc02613-2.jpgsurly ogre-dsc02612-2.jpg
    using a velo orange L-bracket and a son edelux mount

  93. #1493
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by gdabw View Post
    quit a lot of work to get the fenders right on the ogre, especially around the suspension corrected fork. I have read your ogre-gilles-berthoud thread but came out with a different solution though
    using a velo orange L-bracket and a son edelux mount
    Wheres the like button?

    Elegant solution, very nicely done.

    I'm very impressed - thanks for sharing

  94. #1494
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Wheres the like button?

    Elegant solution, very nicely done.

    I'm very impressed - thanks for sharing
    The only disadvantage so far of the heavy weight surly ogre with these heavy weight wheels (internal gears of the rohloff / son / indestructible 50mm Mondial tires) is that the bike weighs a ton and doesn't ride as smooth and fast as I would hope (I can't stand being cought up by other cyclists). Then again this bike is my favourite all year around training bike, giving me extra muscle power and endurance when I switch to my lightweight road bike

  95. #1495
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    227
    Hello B Colett. I'm saving up for an Ogre. Did Surly replace your frame. Any new news.
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

  96. #1496
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ianick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,124
    Had a good ride last night on the Ogre. Testing a few changes on and off the bike. New to the bike is a Brooks C17 carved saddle and Stasherz bag. Off the bike testing involves the tiny Toaks Ti camp stove. So far everything is working well.

    surly ogre-20160122_220017-copy.jpg

  97. #1497
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    227
    What do y'all think about the price on this Ogre. I know it has low end components. Bout the only thing I like about it is the fork tube hasn't been cut. I also don't like that it doesn't come with the Jones loop bar too?

    Surly Ogre Touring Medium Complete Bike Custom Build 29er Surly MTB Steel | eBay
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

  98. #1498
    Did I catch a niner+?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,953
    Looks pretty standard to me. If its a MTB I would keep an eye on parts as they come close to wearing out and replacing them. If this is a commuter, it will last a long time as is, maybe some slicks.

    My guess is it is a shop bike that they built up with take offs from other bikes to sell.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

  99. #1499
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Mr Pink57. I'll do that if I decide buy it.
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

  100. #1500
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTB29erCurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    227
    Bicycle hub.com. Is this site for real. Check out these prices on Surly's.

    Surly bike sale
    Curt

    20?? Cycle Genius Falcon
    2011 Trek MAMBA 29ER
    2014 Surly Disc Trucker
    2016 Surly Ogre (Blacktacular)

Similar Threads

  1. I am an Ogre!
    By Dalton in forum Commuting
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Ogre vs Yeti
    By adubb25 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 06:37 PM
  3. Oops I did it again (This time in Ogre Green)
    By Ogre in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM
  4. Ogre Dung!
    By Joseph-da-trog in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 08:36 PM
  5. A Big Thank You From Ogre & Fiona
    By Ogre in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Members who have read this thread: 210

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •