mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Surly Ogre 2013 - black frameset availability?

I know this may sound sacrilegious to some Ogre owners, but I would like to build my Ogre with the black frameset. Is the black 2013 model readily available? I've seen only very few US online stores taking orders for these - and, unfortunately, none in Europe. Any ideas?

Thanks

Cycle Psycho
    I with you, sea monster. I personally don't do well with green vehicles. I won't go into that here, but I had my '13 BLACK Ogre dropped shipped to me by ordering from Universal Cycles. Pretty sure it shipped straight from Surly H.Q. in Minnesota, according to the tracking progression. It came separate from the rest of my order, which came from Oregon, and the box looked straight up factory sealed from Taiwan. Fresh!

They have all sizes in stock, except for the 24" on their site.

Here's where I'm at with my build, but it's coming along nicely.

I'm lying. That was the day I got it. I guess I'll take another pic now, sorry about that.

(that black gaffer's tape on the headset, it's my poor-man's fork holder straight thing)
    Last edited by Gritter; 01-21-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nice build you've got there, Gritter!

I like the menacing look of the black frameset. Yours, with the black drivetrain, looks like custom made for Darth Vader. Did you take off the Surly decal? That's what I plan on doing.

It's quite possible that I might have to order the frameset also from Universal Cycles and have it shipped to Europe, as there are none to be had here (yet). The old green framesets sell here for about $730, so there shouldn't be much price difference once the import duty and the shipping costs are accounted for. How was the box/packaging it came in? Can it survive an overseas cargo trip?

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    How was the box/packaging it came in? Can it survive an overseas cargo trip?
    I think Taiwan is overseas from me. (I'm in the U.S.)

The bottom bracket shows some wear from the corrugated cardboard rubbing against the powder coating, but that's the least visible area, usually.

I also chose black, because a lot of aftermarket forks are much easier to match, and I don't like when the fork is a different color than the rest of the bike. Just seems... off. Mis-matched.

I say, do whatever it takes to get yourself a "stretchpants black" Ogre. I was torn between this and a Fargo, but I'm really happy with my decision. I'm a huge fan of black. My other Surly is just as black as well. Another plus for waiting for the Black color, was the updated braze-ons/eyelets or whatever they're called. Anything mounts as well as upper rack-stay mounts on the fork, and an Anything mount (3 bolts) on the down-tube as well.

Yes, I removed all the decals, except, "Ogre" on the frame. I really like the stealth look, and I don't need my chainstays to talk about fatties, when I'm only running 2.0's.

Happy Ogre Hunting!
    '10 Rocky Mountain Metropolis (rigid 2x10)
    '10 SURLY 1x1 (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Ogre (rigid SS)
    '13 SURLY Troll (rigid 2x10)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great service from Universal Cycles but the postal charges to Western Australia for an Ogre frame was $375.00 to ship it UPS World Saver which makes it cheaper to buy local. In the next state, JensonUSA shipping was around $65.00 which is a huge difference. Shame Jenson only has Green or I'd have made my purchase decision by now. Jenson also havnt replied to my email which makes me less inclined to spend my hard earned.
    Oh and bikeman.com have black frames too, but again for me pricy postage ($147.59) and their frames are about $40 dearer than Jenson.
    Last edited by rifraf; 02-08-2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: price correction

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    Great service from Universal Cycles but the postal charges to Western Australia for an Ogre frame was $375.00 to ship it UPS World Saver

My preference for the black frame has its limits. Unless they start shipping them pretty soon to retailers outside the USA, I will go with the green one (which is now discounted here in Europe).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Please let me know who is stocking them in Europe as if they ship outside the EU, I can escape the VAT.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Frames & Forks | Frames - 29ers | Triton Cycles
    Rahmen: MTB Hardtail Rahmen - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

I don't think it makes sense for you though. They are already "burdened" with the import duty. If I were you, I'd go with the JensonUSA shop, even though they haven't been communicative and the color is green. I mean - really - I like the black frame but not that much to wait for in vain it or pay extra.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Great service from Universal Cycles but the postal charges to Western Australia for an Ogre frame was $375.00 to ship it UPS World Saver which makes it cheaper to buy local. In the next state, JensonUSA shipping was around $65.00 which is a huge difference. Shame Jenson only has Green or I'd have made my purchase decision by now. Jenson also havnt replied to my email which makes me less inclined to spend my hard earned.
    Oh and bikeman.com have black frames too, but again for me pricy postage ($147.59) and their frames are about $40 dearer than Jenson.
    That is a huge difference! Color plays a huge role in the feeling you get when you look at/think about your bike. If you don't like the color, you'll always feel a pang whenever you think about it. I will not buy a car with tan interior.

Re-painting or powder-coating is a burden and an expense. You already paid for powder coating once, in the purchase price of the frame to begin with.

The color of the frame you choose should work with whatever parts you already have lying around. The color is one of the first things an admirer would notice. They'll associate the color with your personality.

To me, the green ogre invokes thoughts like, military, utilitarian, earthy, camo, Shrek, and would work well with brown and tan saddle, tires, grips, etc. Earthy colors.

The black color invokes thoughts like, stretch-pants, johnny cash, batman, stealth, night, ninja, dominatrix, modern, industrial, gothic, and would go well with black or possibly silver accents. Also looks extremely pimpsauce with white accents.

If the bike is something you plan on keeping, just buy it one time, the way you want it. Patience is a virtue, but imagine seeing massive stock all around you three months after you've been riding a color that isn't you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Actually, I think the green frame goes great with black. The only trouble with the green one (for me) is matching it to Ortlieb panniers. The black and (maybe) the gray classic panniers would work, but I am not sure about the other colors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My Ortliebs are black and yellow so (IMHO) will work a tad better with a black frame as opposed to that great looking green. Just a matter of finding one without breaking the bank needlessly. As my hubs, spokes and rims are silver, I think combined with a stainless Tubus Cosmo rear rack that Johnny Cash black is the shade for this black sheep of the family. The copper plated rails and rivets of my Brooks B17 saddle wont hurt either. It gives me the option of going soft and down the track considering some hammered finish stainless fenders (whose removal, just to fix a rear puncture will really get me complaining).

Frames & Forks | Frames - 29ers | Triton Cycles
    Rahmen: MTB Hardtail Rahmen - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE

I don't think it makes sense for you though. They are already "burdened" with the import duty. If I were you, I'd go with the JensonUSA shop, even though they haven't been communicative and the color is green. I mean - really - I like the black frame but not that much to wait for in vain it or pay extra.
    Thanks for the links. You were right though, as even without the VAT the price was higher than I can get local. Unusual as things like Ortlieb, Rohloff, Tubus and Son28 etc are way cheaper to buy in Germany for me than either local (Aus) or USA.
    Last edited by rifraf; 02-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My Ortliebs are black and yellow so (IMHO) will work a tad better with a black frame as opposed to that great looking green.
    You will look like a giant hornet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You will look like a giant hornet.
    Most of my motorcycles have been BumbleBee Black and Yellow. It's a very bike-friendly color, both stealth and high-visibility (if that's possible). Black and Orange has been stolen by Harley Davidson and Halloween, just like green and red was stolen by Christmas, and green and yellow was stolen by John Deere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Blackened Ogre

Heads up
    Jensonusa now have the Ogre in black.
    I ordered one and this morning I received my much anticipated email with a tracking number for USPS. For Aussie buyers be aware I was warned off using UPS, the cheaper option on the site, due to the possibility of "add on" fees at the Australian end of the equation. This was via a local Australian cycling forum. I've had a similar experience with DHL. I prefer transparent shipping fee's that are up front with all the relevant information but you make up your own minds.
    On the way to me is a black Ogre in 20" and some silver Velocity Dyad rims which I'll be matching with 36 silver CX-ray spokes and Rohloff and Son28 disk hubs in polished alloy.
    I'm hoping that the gloss black sets off the silver and polished alloy a treat for my sore eyes.
    Ogre price at Jenson is $535, Dyads $51.28 each and shipping USPS $95.40
    Buying local would have set me back approx $820 just for the frame, so I'm feeling I'm still ahead even with the rims and shipping.