Thread: Surly LHT Build

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Surly LHT Build

I'm looking to build up my 46cm LHT frame. I purchased the frame only because I can't really afford a new bike right now and because I have most of the parts sitting around the garage so with just a few purchases I should be good to go.

I have most of an 8 speed group so that is the way I'm going. I took everything off my 2000 Jamis Daakar Expert frame which I will be looking to sell or trade. I have an old RSX triple crank and 8speed Sora front derailleur. I have a couple of bottom brackets one is a 113 which I think is the right size for this crankset. (please let me know if you know)

Wheels are xt hubs with Mavic X 221 part of the stuff from the Jamis as is the rest of the drive train and v-brakes.

Picked up a handle bar, Tektro road V-brake levers, bar end shifters, and a stem.

I'm still looking for a headset. I'm also wondering how much frame prep I should do. I'd need to take it to LBS for facing the BB shell and head tube and also to chase the threads. How important is this?? I've built up frames in the past without doing it at all without problems and that is leaving me question how important it is.

If you had no money, would this all work pretty well? I'd love to know if I'm making a mistake that would ruin the frame. I can always upgrade things with newer as they need and hopefully I'll be able to afford it at that time perhaps way in the future. Until then this will let me get in the miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmame View Post

I'm still looking for a headset. I'm also wondering how much frame prep I should do. I'd need to take it to LBS for facing the BB shell and head tube and also to chase the threads. How important is this?? I've built up frames in the past without doing it at all without problems and that is leaving me question how important it is.
    I'd get a mid-grade FSA or Cane Creek headset for $25. I've used them for years with no issues.

You can probably get away without any frame prep. The worst case scenario is you find you need to take the frame to your LBS and get it prepped. The only way you can screw things up is if you destroy the BB threads or something of that nature. When you are threading stuff in go slowly and stop if it isn't feeling right.

I just built up a LHT with zero frame prep and everything is fine.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'd second skipping the prep. I only have it done if something seems to be causing troubles. Surly frames are generally OK without. Some framesaver, on the other hand, is probably a good idea (which you can easily do yourself, before you assemble).

Sheldon Brown's website says 118mm BB for the RSX triple cranks. they might work on the 113, but they may bottom out before being fully pressed on, or you may not have enough clearance from the frame.

Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database

For a headset, I'd look for a deal on a basic Cane Creek. I have an S-3, which I'm very happy with, and is reasonably priced. However, it's been replaced, so you'd need to check the new equivalent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

118, hmm

Shoot, Ok, I have one more BB that I own I'll check it's size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have had some issues with too much powder coat on the BB threads on a couple of my Surlys, so it might not be a bad idea to at least have the threads chased.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am pretty sure I have the stock headset from my LHT complete sitting in a box somewhere in my garage, I had the LBS switch it out before delivery for a Cane Creek 110. PM me if you're interested, I'll gladly sell it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Headset

I found a FSA Orbit DL at Pricepoint.com for $14.98; anyone know anything about this headset? It looks to me like a good contender for this build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Update LHT Build

Here it is as it stands. I'm not sure about the bars but it is moving along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly LHT Build-img_0376a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Looks like you've got the hard part done. Shaping very nicely. Great work. Are those mustache bars or dirtdrops?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks, they are mustache bars, but I'm thinking of switching to drops depends on the cost.