mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Surly Knard, on an Ogre fork...

Not sure if this should go in 29er Components, or here, but for an Ogre fork, what do y'all suspect is the minimum rim width that a Knard would prefer?

This may be a bit premature, but I've been seeing wacky size calculations thrown around for various things regarding the Knard and the Rabbit Hole and the Krampus, so maybe someone knows.

The stock Alex Adventurer rims are 24.2mm wide, correct? Too narrow probably? Just wondering if I will be needing a new front wheel built up. And if so, unsure about how wide I need to go- or if a Rabbit Hole/Knard would fit in the Ogre fork, etc.

The fork definitely seems fine, at least up to a certain rim width...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i had a 3" gazzaloddi in a surly 1x1 fork, also in a karate monkey fork.
    assuming they use roughly the same charts for their version of "80mm suspension corrected" then the legs're probably the same width apart and have the same distance from the rim diameter to the crown.
    the design brief allows for room enough for a 2.4 or 2.5" tire plus about 60 or 70mm of dead space

short answer- I'm sure it'll fit fine.
    the krampus's fork may have an odd offset that noone knows about though.

i am running my gazzis on 40 and 36mm rims. and they're both good.
    the 40's provide an oddly noticeable amount more float though.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    So, if the Knard is really 30.1" round, than your coming close to the ogre's upper limits of clearance. before the bend, the clearance is 3.75"ish, as it bends in, it gets smaller, its closer to 3" wide, etc.

If I read right, the fork is 135mm axle width on the Krampus, not 100 like the rest of the Surly 29ers.

You will also have issues with the brake mounts, my 2.35 big apples just slides past them on a 35mm wide rim. i think the rabbit will fit, but I know the tire wont with out letting all of the air out.

I'm skipping the 29+ camp atm and sticking with FAT!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    JordyB, you read wrong. Surly rep said this clear in the vid - you can put krampus front wheel to the karate monkey fork, etc. And front hub is 100mm. And rear is 135mm. And bb is 73mm. Everything is normal, except rim/tire size.

See video Surly Bikes - SaddleDrive 2012 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will the 29x3 Knard fit on a 29" Flow rim in a Haro Mary rigid fork? The Mary fork has quite a bit of clearance for a 29x2.4 Ardent.....

I know I have plenty of time and the worst that would happen is that I buy the tire, it not fit and then resell it. Is this tire going to be able to fit on a Flow, or will it need a special rim to use it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    Will the 29x3 Knard fit on a 29" Flow rim in a Haro Mary rigid fork?
    In relation the Flow is too small for a Knard. You need to drive a too high pressure an so cannot benefit from the advantage of a wide tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    In relation the Flow is too small for a Knard. You need to drive a too high pressure an so cannot benefit from the advantage of a wide tire.
    This makes me a sad panda. Still, it's not the end of the world to just have a rabbit hole wheel built up to put the Knard in if I want some fatness and then use the Ardent/Flow when I want some speed. That is, if the wheel will fit. I have to think that if it fits in a KM fork that it would fit in a Mary fork. I have heard that the 2.4 ardent fits on the rear of the mary. I would think 3" in the front and 2.4" in the rear and I would have a poor mans fat bike.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by nameresu View Post
    JordyB, you read wrong. Surly rep said this clear in the vid - you can put krampus front wheel to the karate monkey fork, etc. And front hub is 100mm. And rear is 135mm. And bb is 73mm. Everything is normal, except rim/tire size.

See video Surly Bikes - SaddleDrive 2012 - YouTube
    I did read wrong about front axle width. But...the 2012 KM fork lost the vbrake mounts so yes, it will fit a KM fork, but, you will have compromises on an Ogre fork, no?

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a Haro Mary also, the measurements look tight. I was hoping for a poor man's snow bike for the snowmobile trails up here in MN, running a weirwolf in back with the knard up front on P-35 rims. I guess we will just have to wait until the actual production tire comes out and some measurements are made.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    I did read wrong about front axle width. But...the 2012 KM fork lost the vbrake mounts so yes, it will fit a KM fork, but, you will have compromises on an Ogre fork, no?
    I think with the Ogre fork with canti pivots you first have to put the empty tire into the fork and between the pivots and *then* inflate it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So it's basically rim width, having a rim wide enough to handle the tire... I was going to ask what wide enough rims are out there, but if I have to buy a rim, might as well make it a Rabbit Hole

Its funny how Surly manages to invent things that I never knew I needed prior to their invention haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    kris holm.
    i've a set of the older 29er 38mm wide rims, uber beefy.
    they're now doing 47mm rims. should be perfectly analogous to surly's 50mm rabbit hole, whereas my 38's would be short-changing the tire a bit... but just a bit.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

NONDURO
    Iíve run a 26"x3" Nokian Gazzaloddi (and also a 26"x3" Duro Razorback) mounted to a 2.5" (65mm) wide Surly Large Marge, and there were zero clearance issues in a 1x1 fork (the 11th anniversary edition 1x1 has no canti bosses), and there was plenty of room for an even taller diameter tire, perhaps more than 1" to spare.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    kris holm.
    i've a set of the older 29er 38mm wide rims, uber beefy.
    they're now doing 47mm rims. should be perfectly analogous to surly's 50mm rabbit hole, whereas my 38's would be short-changing the tire a bit... but just a bit.
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    One of Surly's video's on YouTube Sov talks about being able to run Rabbit Hole Rim/Knard tire up front on the monkey no problem. But looking down yesterday on my older KM I have the vbrake mounts so my guess is that might make it tricky, but I figure If I had that set up I could have the tire flat, finagle it through the brake mounts, then pump it up. Not ideal, but much cheaper than buying a new KM fork (plus I am not sure about putting a black fork on my chum bucket red KM). Or I could just pay someone to cut off and sand down the break mounts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    One of Surly's video's on YouTube Sov talks about being able to run Rabbit Hole Rim/Knard tire up front on the monkey no problem. But looking down yesterday on my older KM I have the vbrake mounts so my guess is that might make it tricky, but I figure If I had that set up I could have the tire flat, finagle it through the brake mounts, then pump it up.
    Posting #10 already told this

Birthday Collector
    Another rim option may be the Salsa Gordo 29'er, @ 35mm bead width it's pretty wide. That rim with an older 2.55 WWLT made it look like you could smuggle softballs inside the tire. Not really supposed to be "tubeless" but it might be an easy rim to get and try the Knard tire.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    One of Surly's video's on YouTube Sov talks about being able to run Rabbit Hole Rim/Knard tire up front on the monkey no problem. But looking down yesterday on my older KM I have the vbrake mounts so my guess is that might make it tricky, but I figure If I had that set up I could have the tire flat, finagle it through the brake mounts, then pump it up. Not ideal, but much cheaper than buying a new KM fork (plus I am not sure about putting a black fork on my chum bucket red KM). Or I could just pay someone to cut off and sand down the break mounts.
    Educate me please. How would canti mounts on a 29" fork get in the way of a 29" rim/tire?

I even got a reply from someone on MTBR that even V-brakes may be made to work with wider rims (not sure about 50mm of course) using special long lever Tektro V-brakes. That would be radical. If brake rims are to0 be had at all in 35mm or wider.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki View Post
    That would be radical. If brake rims are to0 be had at all in 35mm or wider.
    Kris Holm 47mm rims have brake tracks. At ~800g they are a bit heavier than the Rabbit Hole rims and I don't think they are available with 32 holes (though the 38mm XC version was at one point).