mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Surly... Knard 4.8 x 26 tires ?

I see these on the Surly website..... but i cant find them to buy ...
    anyone know where to get these ?

thanks

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    They don't seem to be listed on mother q's site so they have either come and gone or, more likely, not come yet.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    They haven't come yet, but I for one am stoked on their eventual arrival.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    OK thats interesting.... i am gonna call Surly and see if i can find out when they will be available. i want to build an ICT ... from frame up and REALLY want those tires.
    i hope i dont have to wait too long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    latest i saw was march 2015 at the earliest which more likely means mid summer.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    latest i saw was march 2015 at the earliest which more likely means mid summer.....
    Oh thats a bummer ..... what other tires like that can i use ?
    suggestions please ?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i should point out im a desert dweller so the moonlander is highly unlikely to see much snow duty and so far i have only ridden it on the bud/lou combo and a set of knard 3.8's i had to take off because i was hitting the pedals on rocks constantly which sucks because overall i was waaaaaay happier with the knards. i just grabbed a set of vee rubber bulldozers because the rear tire has a giant patched hole in it and the knobbies are about worn off.i end up riding on the pavement a lot because i dont have a car so getting to the dirt generally requires an 8-12 mile slog and then its typically loose and/or rocky over hardpack or rock over rock or foot deep gravel....we have a lot of rocks here,and will sapping sand of all types... so im still gonna grab a pair whenever they come out,i have a krampus as well and i love the knards on that bike too...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    i should point out im a desert dweller so the moonlander is highly unlikely to see much snow duty and so far i have only ridden it on the bud/lou combo and a set of knard 3.8's i had to take off because i was hitting the pedals on rocks constantly which sucks because overall i was waaaaaay happier with the knards. i just grabbed a set of vee rubber bulldozers because the rear tire has a giant patched hole in it and the knobbies are about worn off.i end up riding on the pavement a lot because i dont have a car so getting to the dirt generally requires an 8-12 mile slog and then its typically loose and/or rocky over hardpack or rock over rock or foot deep gravel....we have a lot of rocks here,and will sapping sand of all types... so im still gonna grab a pair whenever they come out,i have a krampus as well and i love the knards on that bike too...
    YEAH .... knards are nice tires for all around stuff. i dont know how much i'll do off paved trails but.... the knards give you some option for that and are nice and smooth on pavement when you need to be.

i just moved from the desert a few weeks ago. lol i miss it already.
    what desert do you live in ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    south central new mexico....gonna be 67 today by the way...taking the krampus out today,just rode the karate monkey on sunday....and ran errands and hauled 40 lbs of stuff home with the ogre yesterday so its been a properly surly week already...

i am really looking forward to getting the knard 4.8s for the moonlander,theres so many awesome spots to fat bike in the desert,its just the getting to them part is just awful during the road bits on the bud and lou combo,the knards roll so nice on the krampus during the pavement parts at 15 psi,lots of cushion for the road chatter,then dropping them to 9 psi for the trails its like being glued to the ground even in loose gravel,and the close set knobs seem to provide a good amount of protection against the desert stuff we have to deal with....the 27 tpi dont seem to enjoy my ghetto tubeless set up though,still bleeding a bit after a month of riding...