mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Surly Instigator

Do people still have interest in this bike frame? I bought one a couple years ago but, haven't had anytime to ride. Gonna get rid of it for a 1x1 (it will be my 4th surly) It just seems like people are having a hard time selling them on ebay and such..

If you guys are interested it's a 16" frame in great condition in black...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm still hunting for a 14" but just bought a used 16." I've ordered 24" 32H Large Marge Rims, 24" x 3" Felt Berm Master Tires, Surly front hub, Shimano rear hub. Pulling disc brakes, 9 speed cassette, handlebars, etc off a Specialized Epic '08. I'll post photos of it when built and a classified ad for the Specialkized frame, fork, etc. Wish you good luck in selling the 16". I scanned for several months for ads on Craigslist, in Phoenix where I live and in LA, Vegas etc. Also checked e-bay and saw Instigators every 2 or 3 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Instigator Frame Fork

if any one is interested i have a red 18" for 400 on this site

mtbr member
    FYI- I bought my used instigator frame for 130 bucks, 400 seems pretty steep
    One could buy a troll frame for that

mtbr member
    I have to agree that $400 seems a bit steep for a frame that retailed new around $500 (IIRC). Demand doesn't seem strong enough to justify that kind of price.

Which sucks. Losing a bunch of money selling bike stuff is a bummer, but a reality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Instigator frame is stronger than the troll frame and has the junk saver curve. Need to check out the serial number and the history of how it was used/abused. I opted for the Instigator frame because of my weight. I found a frame that had little use and no abuse. The troll frame is new and has more options. I'll probally get a troll after/if I shed massive weight.

Is that Bill rated?
    Loved my Instigator. Bought it new for $275, seven years ago. $400 seems steep.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Just kind of a semi bump on this thread. Im looking at getting a 26 inch large marge front rim to toss into the instigator fork with endomorph tire but am gonna have to double check with surly if it will fit for sure. Otherwise will have to get a pug fork, have scoped on the hiawatha cyclerys pugstigator and am looking to do the same thing. I am still digging my instigator, just looking to change it up a little.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I may be able to help you out with the LM rim/wheel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Insta fork

Scott,

the LM/Endo combo won't work in the Instigator fork. I tried it back in the early days of the Pugs when I butchered a 1x1 to make a 2nd fatbike. The only way I could use the Instigator fork was by putting a torch to it and bending the fork blades around the fat tire. It worked at the time since there were no other fork options other than the off-set Pugs fork, but was a big pain to do. If you want a fat front then just buy a fat fork and be done with it.

Pat

mtbr member
    Ok, I wasnt sure, I thought I read it could fit with canti mounts cut off but personal experience trumps that, thanks.