mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Surly Instigator 2.0 sizing

I'm contemplating building up an Instigator 2.0 but my LBS does not carry any stock of this model.

I'm 5"7' with 29.5" inseam. I ride a small Pugsley, small troll and a medium (17") Santa Cruz 5010.

I want to use a dropper post but I'm pretty sure that if I go for a Medium( 17") I won't have enough exposed seat post to run one as Surly's seat tubes are usually 1.5" longer that the published size due to the way the measure them only to the top of the seat tube brace. i.e my Pugsley and Troll true seat tube lengths are 17.5".

So I'm asking two thing on here :-

1) Those who have a small or medium Instigator 2.0, can you measure the seat tube from centre of BB to top of seat tube.

2) Can you advise on your height , inseam and frame size for those that own small and medium bikes and how you find the sizing.

Thanks

EDIT: The Instigator will be replacing my Troll as my general purpose, do-it all, everyday, commuter bike. All parts will be swapped across and a pair of Fox 140 forks that I have in my garage will provide the bouncy bit.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    As someone that's considering building up a Troll for a 26" commuter, why are you moving away from one and going to an Instigator? Curious is all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I could have sworn I posted a reply to this last night.

The troll is a great bike, but I want to do more than the troll can offer. Plus I have strict instructions no more bikes unless I sell one of the existing. Got to keep the boss happy. I now want a bike that is equally at home on the trail, bike park, camping, commuting and anything else. Plus I want more than 100mm travel and able to take taper fork and 650b wheels.

So the instigator is on my short list, and the troll will be my donor bike. I may not sell the troll. But keep it stored, hidden at the back of the garage for a later rebuild.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ...

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am in exactly the same situation. 5'7", 29.5" inseam and ride a small troll. I'm right now leaning towards the 17" Instigator, as I want a short stem for trail riding. The troll currently has a 100 mm steam, and I would like to get that to a 50- 60 mm.

I'm a little concerned about stand over. That being said, I do have tons with the 16" troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Robopotomus View Post
    I'm contemplating building up an Instigator 2.0 but my LBS does not carry any stock of this model.

I'm 5"7' with 29.5" inseam. I ride a small Pugsley, small troll and a medium (17") Santa Cruz 5010.

I want to use a dropper post but I'm pretty sure that if I go for a Medium( 17") I won't have enough exposed seat post to run one as Surly's seat tubes are usually 1.5" longer that the published size due to the way the measure them only to the top of the seat tube brace. i.e my Pugsley and Troll true seat tube lengths are 17.5".

So I'm asking two thing on here :-

1) Those who have a small or medium Instigator 2.0, can you measure the seat tube from centre of BB to top of seat tube.

2) Can you advise on your height , inseam and frame size for those that own small and medium bikes and how you find the sizing.

Thanks

EDIT: The Instigator will be replacing my Troll as my general purpose, do-it all, everyday, commuter bike. All parts will be swapped across and a pair of Fox 140 forks that I have in my garage will provide the bouncy bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just for reference:

I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. I own a small Surly Instigator.

It took a while but I finally got my fit feeling good. My current setup:
    -Reverb 125mm seatpost
    -65mm stem with 10mm spacer below it
    -1/2" riser bars.

Because the top tube is so long on this bike the fit is weird and unlike all other Surly's I own it fits small. If I could do it again I would've got a medium to run a shorter stem (there's only about 1" of reach difference between the two). A friend owns a medium and there's still plenty of standover room with a 30" inseam.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noahpurdy View Post
    Just for reference:

I'm 5'7", 30" inseam. I own a small Surly Instigator.

It took a while but I finally got my fit feeling good. My current setup:
    -Reverb 125mm seatpost
    -65mm stem with 10mm spacer below it
    -1/2" riser bars.

Because the top tube is so long on this bike the fit is weird and unlike all other Surly's I own it fits small. If I could do it again I would've got a medium to run a shorter stem (there's only about 1" of reach difference between the two). A friend owns a medium and there's still plenty of standover room with a 30" inseam.
    I ride a large instigator, but was deciding between med and lg and was glad I went with large because despite the long tt, the seat tube angle makes it feel shorter. I was concerned about stand over but its not an issue. I have a 70mm stem on it and could probably go 80, the med would have been way too small. Im 6 ft with shorter legs, longer torso, so with this frame it seems best to size up if between sizes.