Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mtbr member
    Holy Guacamole! Or something like that. So that's what this post was alluding to.

The Next Big Thing? | Blog | Surly Bikes

Wow. Totally wow. That drop-out. No more offset wheels. Damn.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I was really really hoping for a big fat dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ha! Love it! Now how 'bout a Big Fat Endo"? Who will be the first to make a sand specific tire? Endo's WERE the fastest sand tire with the least rolling resistance (on sand). Really miss the chevron-ish "buggy" tire... The Ice Cream Truck w/ some BFE's would be a pedal powered "sand rail"!

Thanks for the I.C.T though!! Nice addition to the fat array! WOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    yes, me too

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    So glad I never dropped the $ on a Moonlander

mtbr member
    Any insider info on whether the geo is suspension corrected a la the most recent Mukluks?

This will be a factor in helping me decide on which fatty is right for me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    How about a 29+ extra cycle called The Buffalo Butt. Or maybe a children's fat bike called The Omen.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was hoping for a somewhat longer version of the Pug (not a fat Dummy). Like a Hunter:

Human Test Subject
    None of the side xtracycle attachments would work if they increased the diameter of the rear wheel of a big dummy.

mtbr member
    Who makes hubs for this thing?

mtbr member
    Here's a clip with Skip talking about the ICT. Looks like there is a production SS Pugs in the background. Neat-o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h45TAwx9sec

mtbr member
    I feel like I'm posting on here a ton today but work is slow. Just saw on the Surly FB page that there is gonna be a production SS Pugs.

mtbr member
    Much like the Big Dummy, then the Krampus, I WANT ONE BAD!

I wonder what it would handle like with a Rabbit Hole / 3 inch Knard 29+ wheelset?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So can someone help me understand the geometry of this thing?

I read that it has a 69 degree head angle here. And Tyler from Surly says here, "You have to use your whole body to move the bike, but itís an incredibly stable rideĒ.

Makes it sound long'ish and slack-ish, right? I'm thinking, cool! Great for snow trekking???

But the author above says "The wheelbase is tighter than the Moonlander". I don't see how it could be shorter, with a steeper head angle and (I'm guessing?) equal or longer chain stays.

Then, in this youtube video, Erik from Surly says (paraphrasing) "It's like a trail fat bike. You can ride these when it's not snowing, and when you're not on sand."

Is longer and slacker better for the trail? Isn't something like the Moonlander or Spesh Fatboy with the 70.5 HA be more of a trail bike?

I'm lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    None of the side xtracycle attachments would work if they increased the diameter of the rear wheel of a big dummy.
    Really? Most of the rear Xtracycle attachments are for the side holes. Even the V/P racks should be fine (Edit: With the 700C adapters, which Xtra makes). I'd think the only thing you need to change would be the flight-deck... and Surly is already making their own Deck for their Dummy.

If you really wanted a Fat Xtracycle, it should be doable... the Deck is easy enough to make yourself, if you have a couple of Xtra's clamps, for that matter.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Surly Ice Cream Truck

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    So can someone help me understand the geometry of this thing?

I read that it has a 69 degree head angle here. And Tyler from Surly says here, "You have to use your whole body to move the bike, but itís an incredibly stable rideĒ.

Makes it sound long'ish and slack-ish, right? I'm thinking, cool! Great for snow trekking???

But the author above says "The wheelbase is tighter than the Moonlander". I don't see how it could be shorter, with a steeper head angle and (I'm guessing?) equal or longer chain stays.

Then, in this youtube video, Erik from Surly says (paraphrasing) "It's like a trail fat bike. You can ride these when it's not snowing, and when you're not on sand."

Is longer and slacker better for the trail? Isn't something like the Moonlander or Spesh Fatboy with the 70.5 HA be more of a trail bike?

I'm lost.
    Basically, its what's in style at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I enjoyed a ride on Tylers last weekend at Forth Fat here in Scotland UK as soon as it came out the flight case

Forth Fat 14 2014 North Berwick Fatbike Gathering 002 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Forth Fat 14 2014 North Berwick Fatbike Gathering 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Forth Fat 14 2014 North Berwick Fatbike Gathering 026 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Forth Fat 14 2014 North Berwick Fatbike Gathering 102 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Ready for the new RS fork with geometery to match, a krampus on mega steroids
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

A God Without A Name
    Great Googa-Mooga. I'm liking that.

mtbr member
    looks good to me

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I preordered one and am having a Rabbit Hole / 3 inch Dirt Wizard 29+ wheel set built. Only steel fat bike I'm aware of that can do 5 inch tires and 29+ wheel set/tires. Moonlander's offset is too much for the 29+ wheel set.

Eating Hot Pockets

nvm

Quote Originally Posted by smporter View Post
    I preordered one .
    now i know how is this done
    Last edited by A. Nony Moose; 05-01-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: figured it out

mtbr member
    So when are some reviewers going to get their hands on these? It seems like there hasn't been any new information in months!

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Great Frank Zappa "insert" here^^^

mtbr member
    I'm picking mine up from the LBS tonight... I'll be sure to post some pictures, and a ride impression after this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    I'm picking mine up from the LBS tonight... I'll be sure to post some pictures, and a ride impression after this weekend.
    Really looking forward to it! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Would very much appreciate that. I'm surprised how little impact the ICT has made online after the initial reportage. Maybe it's because it sits at the expensive end of the Surly line-up? They look like fun-on-wheels to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusburger View Post
    Would very much appreciate that. I'm surprised how little impact the ICT has made online after the initial reportage. Maybe it's because it sits at the expensive end of the Surly line-up? They look like fun-on-wheels to me.
    It's eating me up to read about all of the shops up North getting them in for demos, sales and such, in stock, at the store and so on. Reviews are starting to trickle in. Nobody in my area DC, MD, VA is getting one so I can see it in person. I can order one, but I might have fit issues. If anyone hears of one coming to my area, please let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My LBS has them in the black and the blue. Out of my budget, but they look cool.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    We just got one shipped to the shop today. I pulled it apart and sprayed it frame saver today. By the end of the day I should have some good pics and a very happy customer.

mtbr member
    Sorry ya'll, didn't have much time this weekend, and what time I had I used riding and not taking pictures. The bike is back at the shop now getting a Bluto put on (that was always the plan), but I'll get it back tonight.

I can offer some ride impressions!

When I first got it, I just rode it around the neighborhood. Its a ridiculous machine. I rode it down a creekbed which worked surprising well, even in sand and about six inches of water. I'm thinking that in the winter when the creeks are low, I'll be able to use creekbeds as a secret trail network.

On Saturday I rode the Picture Rock trail in Lyons, CO. People in the Boulder area will know what that means, but for those of you not blessed enough to be here, its an 5.5 mile trail that connects a trailhead to a few loops. 11 miles round trip. Its a good mix of some fast flowy sections (which are rare in the front range) with some interesting rocks and technical features on the upper portion.

Coming from a ~31 pound 29er XC hardtail, it didn't feel like the ICT slowed me down at all. I actually got a few personal second best times on segments, and I was not trying to do that at all. I stopped to tweak air pressure a few times even. Speaking of air pressure, I settled on 9psi in the back and 8psi in the front. That is with tubes, and me + gear weighing around 220lbs. When I go tubeless I'll have to re-evaluate.

The ICT is really interesting. It feels like a whole different game than standard modern suspension bikes. Not better or worse, just different. Parts of the trail that are easy on a regular bike were hard on the ICT, and vice versa. There were some sections of slick angled rock were I always spin my back tire on my 29er, but with the ICT I stuck like glue. I was amazed. In the sandy flowy section on the way down, I was able to go as fast as I wanted without worrying about sliding out. As far as negatives go, its exhausting to come to almost a complete stop and then push hard to get up something. On the front range, there are a lot of technical features that require you (or at least me, since I'm not a great rider) to track stand for a few tenths of a second in order to adjust your center of gravity and then make a sharp turn. Bringing the wheels back up to speed was noticeably harder. Going tubeless should help with this. The other major issue was bouncing the front off the trail like a giant basketball. I suspect this is just a matter of finding the perfect pressure for the front and relearning how to ride with a fat bike.

One thing you need to deal with when riding an ICT is stopping to talk to every single person on the trail. Everyone wanted to talk about it. That more than anything slows you down. My friend that I was riding with said it was like hanging out with someone who has a puppy.

All in all, I love this bike. I was grinning the whole time I was riding, and wouldn't give it up for a fancy carbon FS rig. I think I'm hooked!

mtbr member
    Here is one picture! I promise I'll take more soon.

mtbr member
    Figured you would be out riding rather than sitting behind a computer this weekend. Sounds like a blast to ride. Thank you for the update.

mtbr member
    Here are some pictures! Sorry for the lack of a clean backdrop... it was too cold to do these outside against the garage door.

Full size versions can be found here: Surly Ice Cream Truck - Imgur

mtbr member
    Stopped by a LBS to talk sizing with someone. Lucky me they had a Medium ICT just in for another customer. Owner let me swing a leg over it and I discovered I need a Large.
    Thank you all (here and other threads) for your help with "guesstimating" my size. I ordered a Large and it will be ready on Thursday. Can't wait.

mtbr member

Surly Ice Cream Truck

Can someone PM me the complete build price of the ICT please?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    I don't think that is a secret. You can see it on several different bike company websites. Example: Universal Cycles -- Surly Ice Cream Truck Complete Bike

mtbr member
    I went on a massive (for me) ride this weekend. Around 22 miles with 2300 vertical feet. I set personal records both uphill and downhill. When I got home I sat on my 29er and just started laughing at the tiny tires. Its on Craigslist now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Ice Truck works for Small Frys!

One of the best things overlooked about this fattie is, it is the only bike made small enough for 5'-3" women! I'm selling my Necromanzer and moving up to the big boy!

Asollie, I'm lovin the color combo. can you give me the skinny on what pedals and grips you're using? Rim strip is duct tape?

Dudes, go buy your girlfriend one for Christmas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmuench View Post
    One of the best things overlooked about this fattie is, it is the only bike made small enough for 5'-3" women! I'm selling my Necromanzer and moving up to the big boy!

Asollie, I'm lovin the color combo. can you give me the skinny on what pedals and grips you're using? Rim strip is duct tape?

Dudes, go buy your girlfriend one for Christmas.
    Wow, I'd love to be 5'3" on an ICT! Seems like it would be almost impossible to go over the bars... you're basically sitting under the tires!

I'm using:
    * Wellgo MG-1 Pedals (Amazon.com : WELLGO MG 1 MG-1 MTB BMX DH Bike Bicycle Cycling Magnesium Pedal Saddles By YiTao Deal (White) : Sports & Outdoors). They look more bronze than the rest of the orange I have, but I still like them.
    * ESI Chunky Grips (http://www.amazon.com/ESI-Chunky-MTB...dp/B00412A8LY/). These grip amazingly well with gloves, haven't tried them without gloves. Pay attention to the tiny print on the packaging that suggests using rubbing alcohol to slide them onto the bars... it makes life much easier.
    * Surly Clown Shoe Rim Strips (Universal Cycles -- Surly Clown Shoe Rim Strip). At $5 each, these are probably cheaper than duct tape. Underneath this is transparent duct tape, as suggested by this tubeless guide: Tubeless Fatbike Conversion Update | Cycles In Life . That method worked flawlessly for me, by the way.

banned
    Sep 2008
    I went on a massive (for me) ride this weekend. Around 22 miles with 2300 vertical feet. I set personal records both uphill and downhill. When I got home I sat on my 29er and just started laughing at the tiny tires. Its on Craigslist now.
    very cool. soon they won't be called fatbikes, they'll be called mountain bikes, and all the skinny tired bikes will be called skinny bikes.

rog

A Real Winner.

Got mine all built up!

Check it out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Ice Cream Truck-pinkict.jpg  

www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How did you get one that color?? Seems too soon to have already gotten a custom paint-job.

banned
    Sep 2008
    LOVE the color. if they made a pugs in that color i'd snatch one up in a hurry!

rog

A Real Winner.
    Custom paint! A buddy of mine just bought a paint gun and set up a paint booth in his garage, so he was super geeked to paint it for me. It looks awesome, I'll try to post up some more pics on the next few days. I still need to throw a few other things on it.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

banned
    Sep 2008
    oh. i'm not that motivated. looks super nice!

rog

Ride and Smile suckas
    Yeah great looking ride. well done!
    Not going to see somebody riding the same bike as you on that thing. I was on a ride last week with 3 guys on new Blue ICTs. It was funny to have so many on one ride.
    "DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY" -Yoda
    www.nemba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope View Post
    Check it out!
    That is a nice color. Probably looks really cool next to a Snow Miser.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-ict-miser-1.jpg

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Just picked up my ICT Ops on Thursday.
    This is my first fat bike.
    Had my first ride on Friday a.m. with my pups.
    LOVE IT!!!! Can not believe how light it feels! Looking forward to hitting some singletrack this weekend with it.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-img_20141023_190526.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-ict-theboyzride-1.jpg
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What did you all pay for your ICT's ? is 2650 out the door good deal on ICT?
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast