Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1150
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    #notinstagram

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    what?

maybe just think of it like a link to any other website?

so what is instagram?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I meant why are you using hashtags? I was kidding more than anything

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I was being young, fresh, hip, beard oil!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    best description that I've heard. Gets hard to hear things like, any road, all road, road less traveled, etc... and see pictures of cross bikes. Our paved roads are rougher than some forest roads elsewhere. Best of all, no crowds. #monumentalloop
    in new mexico,no one can hear you whining!

for one thing,no people,the other,the 30mph winds drown it out!

yup,i have a 2.1 inch tire on the front of the straggler mostly because of the roads,but i have discovered there just isnt a whole lot of pleasant off pavement straggler country around here...in general its seems like 3 inch tires are about the minimum needed for anything that might fit the bill as "any road" around here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    What size tires? 5" tires use significantly less air than 4" tires.
    4" tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    but,a better answer...

get a good pressure gauge like the meiser accugauge which i believe is available from jensonusa for about 15 bucks and a good frame pump and play around with your pressure and figure out what works for you and your local conditions...
    I have a meiser accu-gage and it is great. My plan was to take it to the trails this weekend and play with pressure but I was looking for a good place to start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    really all you can do,tire pressure is gonna depend a lot on what you're riding as far as the trail conditions...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Does anybody have a carbon fork on their ICT? What are your thoughts about stiffness/handling changes? I love the feel of the steel frame but the steel fork is way too flexy for my taste.
    i ran a Borealis Echo 490mm carbon fork on my ICT and my Wednesday. it worked better on the ICT, as the Wed has a 468mm fork standard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Happiness in a picture. A Wednesday, ICT, and Tacoma. Just need some 29+ wheels.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Just need some 29+ wheels.
    Done. Although they are on a different bike...

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    i ran a Borealis Echo 490mm carbon fork on my ICT and my Wednesday. it worked better on the ICT, as the Wed has a 468mm fork standard.

What size lizard skin is that? I got one but it was too big of diameter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    What size lizard skin is that? I got one but it was too big of diameter...
    I'm really immature.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Also, why the heck are you running one on the non drive side?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    What size lizard skin is that?
    smallest one i could get.

Also, why the heck are you running one on the non drive side?
    because flats. i got sick of cleaning 510 black marks off the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anyone having issues with brake squeal and loss of power in the snow? I have a two year old ICT and have had issues since the start.

I've sanded and alcohol'd pads and rotors, swapped brakes pads, re bedded and still get horrible squeal and loss of power whenever any snow touches brakes. It will disappear for a time if I drag brakes down long hill (similar to re bedding process), but will inevitably reappear shortly thereafter.

Thinking about replacing the Guide RS' with SLX or XT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by notregistered View Post

Thinking about replacing the Guide RS' with SLX or XT.
    The only issue with Shimano brakes is the effectiveness, or lack of it, with mineral oil in the cold temperatures. I would stick with the Guides for cold weather usage...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    At what temperature do you have issues with XT brakes? I must have been oblivious to this issue, or didn't ride cold enough this winter. I replaced my bb7's with XT only because I anticipate needing an extra set of disc brakes in the next year. Happy with the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ETChipotle View Post
    At what temperature do you have issues with XT brakes? I must have been oblivious to this issue, or didn't ride cold enough this winter. I replaced my bb7's with XT only because I anticipate needing an extra set of disc brakes in the next year. Happy with the upgrade.
    There is a lot of discussion about this...heated(no pun intended) topic around here! I've had issues with SLX brakes riding in the 'teens. Other people have not so YMMV...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by notregistered View Post
    Anyone having issues with brake squeal and loss of power in the snow? I have a two year old ICT and have had issues since the start..
    sounds like a possible rebleed is needed.

I have Guide R on my ICT and Guide RS on my Wednesday. I do have the snow/cold squeal/clown horn, but so does everyone else in those conditions.

As far as not having power, only time i have that issue is when i do stream crossings in below freezing weather. Ice forms around the caliper, and reduces breaking. If i drag the brake for a bit, it will warm up and resolve itself, only to freeze again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have some cheapo Shimano BR-M486 brakes on my ICT. I took off the Guides for them because they never make a sound when wet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm going to attempt installing a RaceFace Aeffect Cinch crank with 170mm spindle on the ICT later today. Will report back with pictures, happiness, or expletives depending on what happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Update Time!!!!!!

I got the cranks, shoved them in, and the part the drive side arm attaches to did not stick out all the way. Please note: I had absolutely *zero* spacers on the spindle whatsoever. Whoever posted the 170 cranks working on an ICT in the other thread definitely had his BB sanded narrower. There was lots crank/chainstay clearance so it could work if the BB was made narrower. I ain't doin' that

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    c'mon,a couple minutes work with a belt sander and yer good to go,slap some carbon bits on there and weight weinie the hect outta it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm actually thinking about trying this on the frame Surly screwed me with... no warranty so might as well try it. I don't want the giant 190 Q-factor, but saving a pound of rotating weight with the same Q-factor would be very temping. And I'm not a weight weenie anyway, hence why I'm not using Next SL cranks and carbon rotors. Uh, hence why my frame is steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i was just givin yah flack...i never really notice the whole q factor thing except in certain rock garden sections where ive never managed to convince myself the pedals are going to fit no matter how frantically i stair step the pedals....i need to build some rock gardens out behind my house to practice in,not that we dont have great rock gardens on the trails,but sometimes it doesnt seem like a good idea to be doing bone break area stuff alone miles out in the desert...the ground is my enemy at this point in life,it seems to hurt far worse than i remembered as a youngster....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm incredibly duck footed and for some reason very large Q factor bothers my knees. The stock Q (same as RF170mm) doesn't bother me at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i guess i must have "birthing hips"....

its funny because when i rock climbed i had bad hip turn out but the wide bottom bracket doesnt bother me

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes, but you are 6'99" and I'm just an ordinary person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im just an ordinary person,theres just more of me is all...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I meant that I was an average sized person!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    lol,im average size among all the people i know with xxl surly frames!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I might fire up the ol' random orbital with some 40 grit later... slowly and carefully!

I kinda want to get this Cinch stuff on my bike... maybe try an oval chainring

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's the spirit Charge! I'd consider taking it to the bike shop to have them face the BB shell when you're done. I was thinking about this last night and wonder how long it would take to cut that BB shell down with a BB facing tool (like the Park BFS-1). If it's only 1mm/side, they might be able to do it with a lot less risk than you with the sander. Of course, I do appreciate your ingenuity, though. I'm super curious to hear how it goes. You've probably already thought of this, but I'd tape the crap out of the chainstays to avoid sanding away your paint in the area near the BB. Good luck and please keep us in the loop with how it goes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm starting to appreciate pressfit that is for sure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyToad View Post
    That's the spirit Charge! I'd consider taking it to the bike shop to have them face the BB shell when you're done. I was thinking about this last night and wonder how long it would take to cut that BB shell down with a BB facing tool (like the Park BFS-1). If it's only 1mm/side, they might be able to do it with a lot less risk than you with the sander. Of course, I do appreciate your ingenuity, though. I'm super curious to hear how it goes. You've probably already thought of this, but I'd tape the crap out of the chainstays to avoid sanding away your paint in the area near the BB. Good luck and please keep us in the loop with how it goes!
    Just yesterday saw someone on MTBR did the same with the Park Tool and said it took 30 minutes. Think he ended at 83mm on a 100mm Pugs bb. It CAN be done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Matt, if you give me a link I will never be able to repay you

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Seems crazy that somebody could take 17mm off the Pug BB without the arms hitting the stays!!

I'm only talking about removing less than 1mm from each side!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Matterhorn, thanks for the heads up! I found it.

83mm BB on a Pugsley and Other Goodies

^^ Awesome stuff!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    SUCCESS!

Got it all working great, but my BB shell DEFINITELY needs facing. There is a stiff spot for sure. Once I get that done I'll be rolling on my narrow Q factor ICT!

Pics to come.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i should be rolling a drop bar ict by the end of the week...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I should be rolling a carbon fork by the end of the week if Nextie ever gets it to me... I will NEVER mess with Nextie again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    there was a new salsa carbon fiber fat bike in the shop last week...i was impressed by how light it was but i just cant seem to get past the feeling those things are more fragile than they really are...the frame felt like paper mache to me...like i could squeeze it and break it no problem...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    there was a new salsa carbon fiber fat bike in the shop last week...i was impressed by how light it was but i just cant seem to get past the feeling those things are more fragile than they really are...the frame felt like paper mache to me...like i could squeeze it and break it no problem...
    That's how I feel about carbon dude! I'd be afraid of breaking a carbon frame, and I don't like the ride. Steel is definitely my material of choice for frames, love the ride and flex! Just didn't like how flexy my steel fork was in high speed corners. I could care less about the weight savings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hope that fork comes in Charge, and I look forward to the pics of the narrower BB shell. I'm also curious about the drop bar ICT, hamster. I don't remember what group you have on your bike; are you going with bar end shifters?

I just laced my 29+ front wheel last night, Sun Ringle Duroc 40 to DT350. I accidentally ordered sapim lasers instead of race spokes, so it's taking me a while to get them up to tension. I ended up using a white crayon to make a line down each spoke, so I could see when they start to wrap on me. It works well, but holding the the spoke while tightening takes a lot of time. On the plus side, the shallow rims are super easy to work with, nipples just plop right in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This video changed my views on carbon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreZdUBqpJs

Still a steel fan, but carbon isn't scary to me anymore.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hope that fork comes in Charge, and I look forward to the pics of the narrower BB shell. I'm also curious about the drop bar ICT, hamster. I don't remember what group you have on your bike; are you going with bar end shifters?

I just laced my 29+ front wheel last night, Sun Ringle Duroc 40 to DT350. I accidentally ordered sapim lasers instead of race spokes, so it's taking me a while to get them up to tension. I ended up using a white crayon to make a line down each spoke, so I could see when they start to wrap on me. It works well, but holding the the spoke while tightening takes a lot of time. On the plus side, the shallow rims are super easy to work with, nipples just plop right in.

i have an xt 11 speed on the ict,im going to use a problem solvers light mount that clamps to the bars to mount the shifter on since the drop out is not sram compatible...for brakes i have some tektro long pull drop bar levers that will work with the bb7s although possibly i may use the trp hylex brakes i have if it feels viable...and if that doesnt work i can take the sram setup i have and try it on the krampus...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My LBS is really busy right now, so I likely won't be getting the BB faced for a little while. Just wanted to keep y'all updated

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    why?

because...

drop bar ICT...
    woodchipper bars,TRP hylex brakes,problem solver bar mount for the shimano xt shifter...

Surly Ice Cream Truck-dsc04901.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-dsc04903.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-dsc04904.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-dsc04906.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-dsc04908.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hamster is going to have *all* the KOMs now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im the king of the low hanging fruit!

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    now to go find some slow moving roadies to ride down!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh la la!

Surly Ice Cream Truck-17341982_10210811682385710_397990174_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ooh,fun,truck goodies!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Got some Ti bolts too... my steel ones were getting pretty crusty. Hamster, do you approve of these?

Surly Ice Cream Truck-17407985_10210811707626341_22342448_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It's good to see you put the full Surly crazy to the ICT hamster! I finally got my 29+ wheels built up, just waiting for the Park extensions to show up for the truing stand so I can complete the rear wheel. I went to put it in the stand and realized it wasn't built for a 197 mm rear axle. It's going to be a tough wait for our trails to dry out enough for me to try it out. I guess in the mean time, I'll just try to stay out of hamster's way on my cross bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Got some Ti bolts too... my steel ones were getting pretty crusty. Hamster, do you approve of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17407985_10210811707626341_22342448_o.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	1127576
    lol,what,no color? that there looks like weight weinie stuff!

It's good to see you put the full Surly crazy to the ICT hamster! I finally got my 29+ wheels built up, just waiting for the Park extensions to show up for the truing stand so I can complete the rear wheel. I went to put it in the stand and realized it wasn't built for a 197 mm rear axle. It's going to be a tough wait for our trails to dry out enough for me to try it out. I guess in the mean time, I'll just try to stay out of hamster's way on my cross bike!
    i have a feeling the shifter kludge may be a no go but the bars and trp hylex would work dandy on the krampus as a ss...also i have a 10 speed bar end already so it would probably work better in the long run...
    its fun to play with surlys,its like a lego set...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Sarcasm I hope? They are blue! That's why I asked the bling master!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sarcasm I hope? They are blue! That's why I asked the bling master!
    the internet has been around long enough that there should be a sarcasm font...

yeah,giving you guff as usual...more of a "blue steel"...going for a zoolander look? lol
    warning...dont go too far down the rabbit hole,i ended up with gobs of spare parts trying to get free shipping on jensonusa orders when all i wanted was 4 dollar valve stem caps!

just got back from a little test ride on the truck dropper...

the shifter,not so annoying after all,only slightly awkward...
    the bars passed a big test...was able to bunny hop from the drops and the hoods,the woodchippers are more comfy for me than the soma junebug bars,actually pretty nice in this context...

i will find out tomorrow....matterhorn has a wee little ride planned for us...i fear he's been looking at google earth again which usually means there will be (un)expected nastiness of some form....be it soul crushingly long hike-a-bikes or thorny bushwhacking im near certain blood will be shed...

its funny though,even hip-deep in these rides i often find myself thinking "why do so few mountain bikers do this kind of stuff?" it seems like the very essence of mountain biking to me...the uncertainty of it,the willingness to fail,but the spirit to keep going,even when it was clear an hour ago you made a really really dumb choice!

should be fun...been a while since i rode until i felt like puking!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Only reason I asked is one of my colorblind friends actually thought they were black.

Those bolts were a great price, one of my friends sells them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i would actually buy ti rotor bolts...bling is one thing,but it absolutely needs to be better than whatever it replaced or at least equal...i would rather put something heavier on the bike than have something break...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I didn't do it for bling. Honestly, after a year in the midwest the steel bolts are really nasty and corroded. This should take care of the problem.

I was going to get some chinese Ti bolts, because $40 a wheel for Avid Ti bolts is crazy. These are very high quality European Ti bolts that cost a fraction of the cost.

Stay away from chinese Ti, they strip out really easy. Actually, stay away from all knockoff bike parts. I wonder what material said knockoff "Ti" really is.

Hamster, if you need any Ti bolts PM me. I got you

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i will find out tomorrow....matterhorn has a wee little ride planned for us...i fear he's been looking at google earth again which usually means there will be (un)expected nastiness of some form....be it soul crushingly long hike-a-bikes or thorny bushwhacking im near certain blood will be shed...
    No promises of course but there should be no, or minimal HAB. Really maybe NO HAB at all. Looks like about 41 miles to the petroglyphs but maybe a slightly shorter return trip.

Can't wait to see that drop bar nonsense in person!

mtbr member

Ict

Had a couple of rides on the new to me ICT and it is a blast although it will probably take me a couple more rides to get really comfortable with the steering.
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Your bike have Onyx hubs?

mtbr member
    Your bike have Onyx hubs?
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You buy that bad boy from Jason?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    just getting back from a cracker of a ride with matterhorn...that crazy bastard is still out there riding or taking a nap or something...i had had enough of drop bar fat biking for one day at mile 47....i still had 10 or so miles left to get home when i finally cracked..or at least started cramping up bad enough to say fuqit....and i also knew i was not far from a buddy with a pickup truck...

big country...the 20+ mile approach ride didnt help...it was nice though,got to the meat of the ride just after the sun came up...good ride,nice stout climb to start things out,generally pretty nice dirt roads,then a not so nice descent down an unending series of rocky,sandy,chunky nonsense...but it was sure pretty...aside from the untimely collapse of willpower an awesome day of back country riding...

Surly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_082834359.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_082841625.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_083217288.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_092129597.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_094615551.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_103143250.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_104601038_hdr.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_104757501_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    You buy that bad boy from Jason?
    Yeah, we actually traded bikes and I swapped out a few parts.

Interplanetary Traveler
    Because I'm OCD about color coordination...yellow decal set for the Bluto

Surly Ice Cream Truck-ict.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Looks like quite a ride hamster and Matterhorn - there's nothing quite like that here in Iowa. I finally got done building the wheels for summer. Here's a pic:
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-img_20170321_201036.jpg

Oh yeah, they weight 3.2 lbs less than the stock salsa/RD with Jumbo Jims that I had on there. It's like pedaling a road bike now!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    SlipperyToad--yeah, not quite like Iowa! Where in IA are you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been in eastern Iowa most of my 42 years, with the exception of a brief stint in the SF/San Jose area. In Iowa City now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Cactus View Post
    Because I'm OCD about color coordination...yellow decal set for the Bluto
    Thank you for sharing.
    Im going to setup a bike like yours by the end of the year, mixing my actual fatbike bluto equipped on a ICT2017 frame.
    And i was wondering how well could the rockshoks yellow decal apply to the fork, replacing my green one.

I think the result looks excellent.
    GREAT looking BIKE

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    A little urbex with my 'Truck.

Surly Ice Cream Truck-img_0030.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_0021.jpgSurly Ice Cream Truck-img_0023.jpg

Gimme free stuff
    We will start with the question. I just took the casette off my truck and really had some trouble. Had to hit it with a hammer. Not fun. The casette really tore up my free hub. It is a sram casette on DT big ride hub. Should I buy a shimano casette to stop this?

On to the exciting bit... I got my 29+ wheels ready to roll! Rabbit holes on Big Rides with a Dirt Wizard up front and a Chronicle out back. Also had put flats and Ergon grips on a bit ago. Sorry for the shit pic but it's been raining all day here so the basement is what we get.

Editors note: Still need to trim the steer tube. Casette not installed due to first question. Tires were purchased used so they are dirty (no, I don't know how it rides). I need a way to cover the red on the seatpost but haven't found anything good yet.

Cheers!

Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Looks damn nice Tim!

That is pretty normal for the cassette to tear up the freehub. That is why you run a steel freehub. Or you can invest in a higher end cassette with aluminum carriers. What SRAM cassette do you run?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what maxi said...it will still work fine,just a pain to deal with...

nice truck!

Gimme free stuff
    Looks damn nice Tim!

That is pretty normal for the cassette to tear up the freehub. That is why you run a steel freehub. Or you can invest in a higher end cassette with aluminum carriers. What SRAM cassette do you run?

Not sure what casette is. Would need to look after I leave this brewery... (Never leaving tehe)

So the DT steel freehub body is $90 and an Xt 10 speed casette is $50. Will the new casette saved new freehub so I don't need to replace two of them?

Last edited by tims5377; 03-27-2017 at 04:51 AM.
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I don't really understand what you are asking Tim. Trying rewriting it when you are less drunk

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So the damage is already done but you can still put another cassette on it. Or go xd and 11 speed

Gimme free stuff
    Lol. Whoops.

I don't want to destroy the freehub on my 29+ wheels (similar to the pic from my fat wheels (see above)) with the sram casette if a shimano will be fine as the new freehub is $40 more than the new casette. Would the shimano casette actually be easier on the freehub?

Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Depends. If you get a cassette with aluminum carriers, yes. If not, no. I'd just get a steel freehub if I were you. It will last longer than an expensive cassette.

mtbr member
    Question for those of you that have a set of 29+ tires. What fat and 29+ tires do you run and what is the change in BB hight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    im running bont barbegazis for fat and wtb ranger tough for 29+,ive run the maxxis minions
    and chronicles as well...the minions i didnt like for the desert,the barbies are a better tire i think,maybe not as tough as the minions,but they also dont go shooting off to one side everytime you run over a rock...the chronicles do fine in the dirt but pull too much on the road,the rangers do better overall...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm running the rangers in the tough casing too. They are pretty much identical in height to the Jumbo Jim 4.8s I had on the RD rims, I don't really notice any difference in bb height. The bike is just a hell of a lot easier to haul uphill.

mtbr member
    I'm running the rangers in the tough casing too. They are pretty much identical in height to the Jumbo Jim 4.8s I had on the RD rims, I don't really notice any difference in bb height. The bike is just a hell of a lot easier to haul uphill.
    Good to know - thanks.

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Question for those of you that have a set of 29+ tires. What fat and 29+ tires do you run and what is the change in BB hight?
    Dirt wizard up front. Chronicle out back. Pretty similar height to my bud and Lou.

Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hello Ice Cream Truck drivers! I'm a new ICT owner. Got a quick question about the rear brake. It's the stock SRAM Guide brake. The brake caliper appears to be a millimeter or two too high. You can see the top edge of the pads are above the brake disc in the photo below. Is this a problem? I can adjust the caliper position fore and aft, but not up and down. The only thing I can think of to fix this would be to shave a bit off the caliper mount adapter. Any other suggestions?

Surly Ice Cream Truck-i-6dmttht-x3.jpg

wanna ride bikes?
    perhaps the adapter is flipped around, aka installed improperly. or maybe it's the wrong adapter. or the wrong rotor? probably best to figure out what's out of place instead of "shaving" anything and putting a band-aid on an improper setup.

If you can't track down the problem, take it to a bike shop.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    perhaps the adapter is flipped around, aka installed improperly. or maybe it's the wrong adapter. or the wrong rotor? probably best to figure out what's out of place instead of "shaving" anything and putting a band-aid on an improper setup.

If you can't track down the problem, take it to a bike shop.
    The adapter has the arrow pointing to the front. The wrong adapter would put it +/- 20mm too high or low. The rotor is the stock 160mm rotor. Best I can tell, the caliper mounting tab was welded on a smidge too high. LBS isn't going to be able to fix that.

wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    The adapter has the arrow pointing to the front. The wrong adapter would put it +/- 20mm too high or low. The rotor is the stock 160mm rotor. Best I can tell, the caliper mounting tab was welded on a smidge too high. LBS isn't going to be able to fix that.
    seems you've got it all figured out. why'd you bother asking?
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    29+

SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    seems you've got it all figured out. why'd you bother asking?
    In case I missed something less obvious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The rear caliper mount has up/down adjustment. Forward and up, back and down. Where the mount bolts to the frame. I can get you a picture later if you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    The rear caliper mount has up/down adjustment. Forward and up, back and down. Where the mount bolts to the frame. I can get you a picture later if you want.
    I would like to see a pic. The rear caliper mount on mine has the slots parallel to the ground. On all the other Surly bikes I've had, the brake caliper mounts allow adjusting like you said.

Edit: here's a pic of the ICT:

Surly Ice Cream Truck-i-fpz52zr-x2.jpg

And a Surly Wednesday. You can see the top slot is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Surly Ice Cream Truck-i-xwqgjc7-x2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A little night ride along the river, a stop at Casey's General Store on the way home to pick up a 2 liter diet coke that I can't come anywhere close to finishing...

Glad I took all the Winter stuff out of my Anything Bag!
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-icecreamtruckatcaseys.jpg
    Surly Ice Cream Truck-muddytires.png

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
    I would like to see a pic. The rear caliper mount on mine has the slots parallel to the ground. On all the other Surly bikes I've had, the brake caliper mounts allow adjusting like you said.

Edit: here's a pic of the ICT:

Name:	i-FPz52Zr-X2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1128920

And a Surly Wednesday. You can see the top slot is at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

Name:	i-xwQGjC7-X2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1128921
    Looks like it is in the down position... same as mine.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast