mtbr member

Surly gurus - duplicate thread, need opinions before I pull the trigger - OD cranks

Posted in fatbikes first (Quick question - chainrings for OD crank) - folks seem to agree it should work:
    - I have two Moonlanders with OD cranks - outside rings are 36T
    - Would like to go down to 32T
    - Jenson has 94BCD stainless steel rings Surly Stainless Steel Chainring > Components > Drivetrain > Chainrings | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    - Universal lists OD rings separately and they are almost double the price Universal Cycles -- Surly OD Chainring
    - I don't care for shifting as one Moonie is fixed gear and another one is single speed
    - the only difference I can see when I look at Surly stainless steel rings I have (in different BCD) and OD ones is the plate thickness where bolt holes are (OD's are very thick)

So will stainless steel 94BCD ring work on OD cranks? Is the only real difference that OD chainrings are optimized for shifting (aside from material - alloy vs steel)?

mtbr member
    Got response from Surly - non-OD rings won't work because OD rings are made to accommodate 5th bolt hidden design.
    I also did some digging myself - 94BCD chainrings (SS) will work best with 5-8 speed chains and may be too thick to use with 9 speed chain