mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Surly Frames tubing diameter

Hi Guys,

I've ordered a 1x1 (for Wife) and Karate monkey frame set which should be delivered by xmas.

I'm going to machine some custom mounting clamps to fix to the tube that runs between the head tube and bottom bracket (Tube which has "Surly" decal on it). I'd like to make a start on the clamps prior to getting my frames.

Can anyone give me the accurate diameter of this tube on the later model of the 1x1, KM or Pugsley? The Pugsley may be a future addition so I might as well make a clamp to suit while i'm at it.

Cheers,
    Toby

Cycle Psycho
    I think you're talking about the "downtube" which is exactly 32.2mm on my 2013 Troll and 35.1mm on both the older model 2010 1x1, and 2013 Ogre. I was thinking my Troll and Ogre would answer your question about the newer 1x1 and KM, but now I'm not so sure.

Isn't it weird that the Troll has a smaller diameter than the rest? I think so. You know what else is weird? It took you almost four years before you made your first post. Mysterious!

If you end up with some extra clamps, I won't say no if you want to give me a set. I always wanted a front platform rack that mounts to the frame at the downtube, instead of the fork (like a frame mounted fairing on a motorbike).

mtbr member
    I believe Surly uses size specific tubing on their models, ie, smaller frame sizes get smaller diameter tubes. So check what size you're looking at.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I believe Surly uses size specific tubing on their models, ie, smaller frame sizes get smaller diameter tubes. So check what size you're looking at.
    Good call. All three frames I just measured here are all 18" / Medium sized frames, if that helps.