is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009

Surly Frame Prep ... just DIY

Is just shaving off the excess paint on the HT and BB yourself all that's really needed? I'd rather not spend the extra $$ to have it done if it does not really matter.
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member
    Short answer would be that it is beneficial for sure, but not a must do. I have never used a razor to clean the paint off since i have the facing tools around, so i can not tell you any personal experience on that method.

While you have your frame apart, shoot some jp weigle frame saver into all of the drain holes on the frame and let it set for a while. Boiled Linseed Oil works also, but is harder to apply.

wants a taco
    A razor does work but in facing a number of Surly's they are not as straight as they claim, chances are though cleaning the paint off will never present a problem but if you are OCD about details I would have it done.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

I Ride for Donuts
    You can do it with some high-quality sandpaper mounted to a block of wood too. I have always done this. It seems way more flat and controlable than scraping paint with a razor knife. and I keep an old BB Around to 'chase' the threads with. I've never run into a problem. If Bottom Bracket bearings were failing because of an irregularity as small as we're talking about, they'd have to redesign the things. I have literally tens of thousands of miles on cheap taiwan aluminum frames (performance access and nashbar frames) , that I did absolutely no prep to. I would imagine that a reputation-driven company like Surly puts a little more effort into quality control than these guys.

It's not rocket surgery... just make sure it's flat and there's no gunk in the threads.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    when I built up my 1x1 I used the carpet knife "facing" method and it seemed to work... took a bit of time (that paint is THICK) but it worked just fine and i'd do it again if I needed to
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Chillin the Most
    I will say my buds 2012 KM frame, the fork disc tabs needed to be faced for the adapter/caliper to work. Otherwise the caliper sits to far inboard and rubs on the rotor. I believe there was another member on this board that had that issue also.

FWIW, my bud is using BB7 brakes

I Ride for Donuts
    I had the same issue with BB7's on my Soul Cycles dillinger fork... I always blamed the fork, but it's interesting that the same issue happened with the same brakes on a different fork. I 'faced' the adapter so I wouldn't expose the steel on the fork.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've had all my Surly frames chased, faced, and sprayed with Framesaver. Yes it costs more upfront, but you never have to think about it again. Seems like a worthwhile investment for a bike that you'll probably have for a long time.

mtbr member
    I never prep the heat tube, but I do face the BB shell and have the threads chased, makes for a cleaner install later.