Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Surly ECR

Lighten up.

Surly ECR

Just reading about the new Surly ECR:

ECR | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Was about to snag an Ogre for a new around town (mostly) build, but this ECR looks like the Ogre, with the option of running even fatter tires.

I like it. ...Move over Ogre?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    The biggest downside against the ECR is that you need a specialized set of wheels to run the really wide stuff, and then you can't run narrower tires when needed. The ECR looks like an awesome bike but it definitely seems like more of a one trick pony. And can't you fit 2.5s on an Ogre anyways?

mtbr member
    Buying new, it's hard to see getting an Ogre over an ECR. You can run all the tires and wheels from the Ogre in the ECR, plus more. I expect the ECR to cost more, but that's about all the downside I can see.

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    The biggest downside against the ECR is that you need a specialized set of wheels to run the really wide stuff, and then you can't run narrower tires when needed. The ECR looks like an awesome bike but it definitely seems like more of a one trick pony. And can't you fit 2.5s on an Ogre anyways?
    Thinking a bit more about this...

...I have a Speedway ti' Fatback, so the fat urge is definitely satisfied. And given the fact that this new build is intended to primarily be a city/commuter setup, with something like Big Apples being the biggest/heaviest thing I'd probably spec for that setup, the Ogre might be the smarter choice.

mtbr member
    Get the ECR or a Krampus. You can roll around town on Big Apples if you like and although you want it for a commuter today you may well be stoked at having a 29+ rig before too long.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, I no longer see a need for the ogre. The 3" tires work well(according to some reviews/personal anecdotes) on 35mm+ rims which gives plenty of tire options. IE anything you'd want to run on a big mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The krampus/ ECR only accommodates a single chainring, and if you want to use a double ring so you can use a granny gear, it has to be a special crankset made by surly; I was planning to modify the rear cassette by removing the 3 smallest cogs so that it will move outwards and allow the use of a "normal" dual chainring crankset but I can't seem to find the thread about it at the moment

I think for all-around riding/ touring, the ogre is still it, I put a triple ring XT touring crankset with 48-36-26 teeth on my son's ogre and it really hauls, although my setup uses front and rear surly racks, so it can get really heavy, which is really not noticeable when you're out riding

That being said, vikb has been using his krampus for touring and his setup is super, including frame bags and seatpost bags, etc

Why not get both? You won't regret it, for sure...

;-)
    biker boy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Comparing geometries between the Krampus and ECR, it looks like the ECR is NOT just a Krampus with more braze-ons. I like the shorter ETT of the ECR. I'm curious about the BB Drop listed for the ECR though - 80mm seems like alot. I understand that it does roll 3-inch tires, so the net effect is not the same as an 80mm drop on a standard 29er, but it still sounds like alot.

Anyone have the capability of measuring the BB height on the ECR?
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1mina View Post
    The krampus/ ECR only accommodates a single chainring, and if you want to use a double ring so you can use a granny gear, it has to be a special crankset made by surly;
    I'm using an IGH which is perfect for exploring on a bike far from a shop to buy a spare derailleur and you can dial in the low gearing pretty well even with a Alfine 8 - although a more expensive Rohloff gives you both ends of the gearing range with zero hassles.

The ECR complete comes with a Surly dual ring OD crank and could be worth buying to get the OEM discount on parts. The Rabbit Hole/Knard wheels are expensive to build custom.

Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Comparing geometries between the Krampus and ECR, it looks like the ECR is NOT just a Krampus with more braze-ons. I like the shorter ETT of the ECR. I'm curious about the BB Drop listed for the ECR though - 80mm seems like alot. I understand that it does roll 3-inch tires, so the net effect is not the same as an 80mm drop on a standard 29er, but it still sounds like alot.

Anyone have the capability of measuring the BB height on the ECR?
    The ECR has a shorter fork and a skinny HT which will limit your suspension for choices. The BB drop will make for a more touring friendly bike at the expense of pedal clearance in rough techy terrain.

Somebody at Interbike could probably measure the BB height for you if you can get their attention.

BTW - the Krampus can take dual racks and panniers without breaking a sweat as well as get loaded up with soft bikepacking bags. So I wouldn't discount it as a touring bike or a MTB you can run errands with.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'm using an IGH which is perfect for exploring on a bike far from a shop to buy a spare derailleur and you can dial in the low gearing pretty well even with a Alfine 8 - although a more expensive Rohloff gives you both ends of the gearing range with zero hassles.

The ECR complete comes with a Surly dual ring OD crank and could be worth buying to get the OEM discount on parts. The Rabbit Hole/Knard wheels are expensive to build custom.

The ECR has a shorter fork and a skinny HT which will limit your suspension for choices. The BB drop will make for a more touring friendly bike at the expense of pedal clearance in rough techy terrain.

Somebody at Interbike could probably measure the BB height for you if you can get their attention.

BTW - the Krampus can take dual racks and panniers without breaking a sweat as well as get loaded up with soft bikepacking bags. So I wouldn't discount it as a touring bike or a MTB you can run errands with.
    Thanks for the info, Vik. If I pulled the ol' trigger on an ECR + Rohloff, what width rims would you recommend...given the following use case:

- ECR will spend majority of it's life as an urban hauler/huckster bike
    - but, would love to swap tires to knobs and hit the dirt with the ECR once in a while

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "The krampus/ ECR only accommodates a single chainring, and if you want to use a double ring so you can use a granny gear, it has to be a special crankset made by surly..."

This isn't exactly true. I'm running an XT double on my Krampus with Velocity P35's/Knards and am not having any problems using the small chainring and the 36 out back. YMMV with Rabbit Hole rims.

If you're willing to run a square taper crankset and a bottom bracket with an extra-long long spindle length I'm guessing you might even be able to run a triple.
    Last edited by jnroyal; 09-17-2013 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
    Thanks for the info, Vik. If I pulled the ol' trigger on an ECR + Rohloff, what width rims would you recommend...given the following use case:

- but, would love to swap tires to knobs and hit the dirt with the ECR once in a while
    Velocity Blunt 35's give you a good range of tire options from 2.35"- 3".

I've run Knards with tubes on the older narrower Stans Flow rims and it worked fine. Those tires feel more stable on a wider Rabbit Hole rim, but I wouldn't hesitate to run the Flows again if necessary so the Blunt 35s should be a great compromise.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    XT cranks 2 x 10 double with Knards on Rabbit Holes here, no issues

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I knew "The One" silliness wouldn't last long, you're going to end up right back where you started with a full fleet! :P

P.S. You can't have your Rohloff back...

Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Heading to Interbike tomorrow and would be happy to measure for you if someone else doesn't first.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Comparing geometries between the Krampus and ECR, it looks like the ECR is NOT just a Krampus with more braze-ons. I like the shorter ETT of the ECR.
    Note that the top tube length of the ECR equals that of one-size-smaller Krampus. So a medium Krampus effectively equals a large ECR.

The real differences between the frames appear to be the A-C length of the fork, the number of braze-ons, and a very small difference in CS length.

FWIW, I just finished ride #3 on my Krampus and love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    SteveM
    Did you use the supplied monkey nuts?

Is there enough chain clearance from the tires with a granny gear-36T cog combination?

Really interested in this, as an IGH setup like vikB's is not available in my place
    biker boy

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenanigans View Post
    I knew "The One" silliness wouldn't last long, you're going to end up right back where you started with a full fleet! :P

P.S. You can't have your Rohloff back...
    This made me laugh out loud. Two times.

mtbr member
    In my mind it comes down to head tube angle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    180mm cranks on the XXL... Bravo Surly!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenanigans View Post
    Heading to Interbike tomorrow and would be happy to measure for you if someone else doesn't first.
    That would be fantastic, if you don't mind. As with most Surly stuff, it'll be hard for me to find a complete ECR in shops near me to measure it myself. Thanks!
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    FWIW - I scored a medium Krampus based on Eff TT and wheelbase.

It fits fine, but the bike doesn't feel as big as the numbers. I'd probably get a large if I was starting again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My girlfriend is 5'7 with an inseam 32'
    Is it possible she could fit on a medium , or wil toptube be too big
    We are from Europe and testriding is not very easy , with only a few dealers
    Thanks for your opinions

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Velocity Blunt 35's give you a good range of tire options from 2.35"- 3".

I've run Knards with tubes on the older narrower Stans Flow rims and it worked fine. Those tires feel more stable on a wider Rabbit Hole rim, but I wouldn't hesitate to run the Flows again if necessary so the Blunt 35s should be a great compromise.
    Another option are the new Velocity Dually's. They measure 45mm so the Knards will probably be close to max width. They are in production right now and should be out real soon.

lord of my world
    I rode the ECR at the release in Utah. I was between the Ogre and the ECR. I Pre-ordered the ECR because you get everything the Ogre has plus! And no Canti mounts!!!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast