mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Surly Disc Trucker 650b conversion?

I have a question. I have seen old road/touring 700c bikes converted to 650b. I have also seen 26" MTB converted to 650b. In the case of Disc Trucker which frame will be better for conversion, the 26" or 700c wheel version?
    Till now I have only seen 26" LHT (with or without discs) converted to 650b.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Putting 650b wheels on the 700c Trucker would lower the already low BB height. One of the reasons I converted my 26" Trucker to 650b was to raise the BB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is a good reason, thank you. Although most road bikes, that have been converted to 650b, have low BB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Putting 650b wheels on the 700c Trucker would lower the already low BB height. One of the reasons I converted my 26" Trucker to 650b was to raise the BB.
    Really?

This would be true if you kept to the same sized tires but most folks exchange skinny 700s for fat 650s to keep the overall tire circumference the same. Since the tire bulge is lower in the fork and frame you can normally clear fatter tires than what you could running full size wheels.

700x23 = 26x2.1 as far as circumference is concerned, not sure how it breaks down with 650B.

Dig around in the monstercross thread in the 29er forum. There are a ton of 650 converted cross and touring bikes in order to squeeze 40+mm rubber into frames designed for smaller tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The 700c LHT has clearance for fatties, no need to convert to 650b to install 40+mm tires when the bike already has clearance for 700x 45. 42mm 650b tires will be smaller than 700c 42-45mm tires. Does anyone actually use 700 x 23 tires on a LHT?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    With the rim brake LHTs, 700c frames are much harder to convert because the brakes won't reach low enough whereas the brakes on the 26" frames can adjust enough to reach. Obviously that's not a problem for Disc Truckers. But BB sure would low.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Why would you want to convert a Disc Trucker to 650B? The reason people do it with road bikes is to be able to fit fatter tires but the Trucker has plenty of room for fat tires. There are also a lot more rim and tire choices for 700c or 26. It's fun to experiment with Surly frames because they are so versatile, but I can't really see a good reason for this particular experiment.

Based on my rough calculations I figure the fattest 650B road tire will drop the 700C Trucker to about the height it would be with the smallest of 700C tires (23-25c). That doesn't seem like a good idea. If anyone has actual measurements of the outer diameter of some 650B road tires, that might help.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by selin View Post
    I've never considered a Surly to be anything other than utilitarian, until now. That is a very beautiful bike. Surly are you listening? Please don't use any more brown or puke green.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yes you can put 45 wide tiers at 700 wheels but what about mudguards and toe overlapping (for 56-58 frame).
    Also a bike with 650b will be a bit more agile.

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    I have 700/42s and 55mm Velo Orange fenders on a 56 frame and the only toe overlap I have is where they put the holes for the rear fender strut. Still, it's not a real problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Why would you want to convert a Disc Trucker to 650B? The reason people do it with road bikes is to be able to fit fatter tires but the Trucker has plenty of room for fat tires. There are also a lot more rim and tire choices for 700c or 26. It's fun to experiment with Surly frames because they are so versatile, but I can't really see a good reason for this particular experiment.

Based on my rough calculations I figure the fattest 650B road tire will drop the 700C Trucker to about the height it would be with the smallest of 700C tires (23-25c). That doesn't seem like a good idea. If anyone has actual measurements of the outer diameter of some 650B road tires, that might help.
    Well, if you believe Jan Heine, Grant Peterson, and guys like that, 650b hits a sweet spot for speed and comfort that neither 26" nor 700c can match. Even though there's less choice for rims and tires, the rims and tires that are available are very good. I could certainly see that someone who's "b-curious" might prefer to experiment on their LHT instead of buying a whole new bike. There aren't very many production 650b roadbikes anyway. None of them are designed for disc brakes, so the DT does fill a niche as one of the very few options for an affordable (read: not custom) 650b-friendly roadbike with disc brakes. Actually, I think it sounds quite attractive to have the option of running some nice high volume, low rolling resistance 650b tires, like a Grand Bois Hetre, for around town and on club rides and such and be able to swap in sturdy 26" wheels with bullet-proof tires for touring and commuting. Makes a lot of sense for someone without the storage space for multiple bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Why convert a 26" LHT to 650b? Because they don't make a 700c version smaller than 56cm for starters. I know they have clearance for fat tires but the reality for me is that the bike rides best with tires in the 1.50-1.75" range, it's what the bike was designed around. 650b x 1.50" tires give me a taller tire without having the volume of a fat 26" tire.

26" 2.1 Nevegal

Surly Long haul Trucker by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

26" 1.95 Nevegal

Long Haul Trucker by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

650b 2.1 Nevegal

650b LHT by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

650b 1.5 Conti Tour Ride

650b Long Haul Trucker by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    "bolandjd" +1

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SaddleUp I saw your bike at flickr first, and it was one of them that made me think about 26" DT (I know yours is the non disc). It is like having many bikes. Although I prefer the disc version for the easy wheel change.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Thats a sick bike. Best of luck with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Any updates to this project?

I'm considering building a 650b Soma Double Cross, or Surly Straggler. Hadn't considered the LHT until now, but it seems like an option.

E

Scant abuse

Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Richard - That is a sweet bike! How do like the mustache bars?

Scant abuse
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Richard - That is a sweet bike! How do like the mustache bars?
    I am just loving the moustache bars! I am a fan of dropbars (at the right height) but for function and form the moustache bars are hard to beat! More hand positions and good control.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso_ View Post

I'm considering building a 650b Soma Double Cross, or Surly Straggler. Hadn't considered the LHT until now, but it seems like an option.

E
    Went for the Soma Double Cross in the end. Stan's Flow 650b and Grand Bois Hetres.

E

mtbr member
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Went for the Soma Double Cross in the end. Stan's Flow 650b and Grand Bois Hetres.

E

I really like the way this bike looks. Very Nice.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

CS2
    mtbr member

E
    I thought Surly was making a 650B Straggler for 2015. Straggler 650b | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys