Tigard, Oregon

Surly Cross Check bars...

I'm getting a Cross Check next week and wanted to go with some more upright bars... Problem is I have Carpal Tunnel issues with both hands and was wondering what everyone would reccomend for this? I heard that the Ergon grips help, but what about the bars and sweep?

If this is the wrong forum for this , sorry about that, but I read in another post here someone talking about it.

Anyway, can't wait to pick up the new CC and get to riding it! Was hoping for a Pugs but I can't pass this one up! Maybe when the kid gets her car, Dad can get the Pugs to go with the CC! lol...

Tigard, Oregon
    Here is the bike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Surly Cross Check bars...-cross-check-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Some upright bar options

You may want to try the FSA Metropolis bars. I have a set that I run inverted with leather grips. Pretty neutral hand position and quite comfortable for the long haul.The inner sections offer a little more aero position for those windy days. They seem pretty rugged, and would probably fare well on some fire roads and light singletrack.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by middcrossrx
    You may want to try the FSA Metropolis bars. I have a set that I run inverted with leather grips. Pretty neutral hand position and quite comfortable for the long haul.The inner sections offer a little more aero position for those windy days. They seem pretty rugged, and would probably fare well on some fire roads and light singletrack.
    I'm planning on using this as more of a offroad bike, and considering the Ergon grips etc... Do you think these would hold up for that rather then a comfort bike?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    That's a great looking Xcheck! Congratulations. Most bars will be just fine for any trail work you would want to do on the cross check. I have Origin8 Space Bars on mine right now with Ergons. They really are nice on the hands. Mostly you just need to have the bars that feel the best. Aesthetics is always an issue, but comfort is paramount. Civia makes some really cool swept bars, On-One makes some really cool ones. Jones/Titec-Jones bars are loved by many, Nitto makes some wider northroad style bars, Soma sells their own versions of many, etc. Will you be running it geared? If so, adequate room for grips, shifters, and levers must be a consideration.

mtbr member
    I would highly recommend the Surly Open Bar with no rise. They came on the steamroller I just got and I really like them with ergons. Plus they're steel so they ride nice on rough roads and such.
    Forget big air and railing the corners, and enjoy a slower, more technical ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Surly Open Bar or Titec H-Bar. Just make sure either option will work with your bar end shifters, if you plan to keep them.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I have On-One Marys with Ergon grips (Enduros) on my Pugsley and they are the most comfortable things I have ever ridden. My Cross-Check has On-One Midges (dirt-drop style) and I do like them but find I am constantly swapping between the hoods, the flats and the drops to stay comfortable. With the Marys I could ride all day without moving my hands.

It sounds obvious but the higher you can get the bars set-up (whatever the style), the less pressure is going be on your hands.

mtbr member

How about Titec H-bars or Jones Loop H-bars?

http://www.bowcycle.com/bikes/blogs/...heck&x=42&y=16
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I would have put the lever or the shifter or both, on the forward portion of those. Looks so cramped.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad
    I would have put the lever or the shifter or both, on the forward portion of those. Looks so cramped.
    You can't put the shifter on the curved part of the H-bar and if the brake lever was on the forward part my GF couldn't reach it with her small hands.

She's going to pick up a trigger shifter to replace that twistshifter which will make more room on the rear part of the H-bar.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Tigard, Oregon
    Thanks for all the input Guys, I think I'm going with the Surly Open bar and Ergon Grips! There's a shop locally that has them so should have them this weekend!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb
    You can't put the shifter on the curved part of the H-bar and if the brake lever was on the forward part my GF couldn't reach it with her small hands.

She's going to pick up a trigger shifter to replace that twistshifter which will make more room on the rear part of the H-bar.
    In that case, well done, vik!

By the way, i love your blog and adventures!

get down!
    Open Bars on the way for my Crosscheck. I was going to sell it, since I preordered a Handsome Devil and they are expected later this month, but decided to keep it. I had a mish-mash of parts, enough to make a build work. Bought a set of wheels on CL for $60, set up singlespeed and I'm good to go. I'll post a pic up when I get it built with the open bars.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by clayman29
    Here is the bike....
    Doo-doo brown! Very nice...I see you're Biopacin' too. Apparently Biopace is back in style now, but rebranded as Rotor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by clayman29
    Here is the bike....
    finally... someone who knows how to angle drop bars the correct way! anyways, good luck with the open bars.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here is a pic of Ergon grips on a Surly Open Bar (40mm rise version). More pics and info here.

I'm still playing around with the set-up, but so far I like 'em.

get down!

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN
    Here is a pic of Ergon grips on a Surly Open Bar (40mm rise version). More pics and info here.

I'm still playing around with the set-up, but so far I like 'em.

Those look great! Thanks for the link! What kind of wrap is that?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    clayman29 - it's just regular cork bar tape. If I end up using that part of the bar a lot I'll probably add some extra padding under the tape. If not, I'll likely remove the tape and slide the shifters out next to the brake levers. We'll have to see... so far the Ergon grips have been comfy enough where I don't have to move my hands around much.

appleSSeed - that Cross Check looks badass with the fat tires and Open Bars.