mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Surly Cross Check?

Im looking for a cross check for my girl friend, shes 5-8. Im thinking she needs a 54cm, what do you guys think? Also Im having trouble finding one in stock. Im just looking for the frame as its going to be a coustom build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Remember cross bikes should be 2 cm smaller than road. I ride a 56 cm road bike, but a 54 cm cross check.... I am 5'10".... she might want a 52 cm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm 5'10" as well with 32" inseam. My CC is a 54cm and feels about right. It's about the same as my 55cm Bianchi cross concept. I run a 100mm stem for better off road handling. A 52cm would probably be best. Crosschecks seem longish in the TT with a low HT to me, so leaning towards a smaller size makes sense. Great frame BTW, even if it's a little on the heavy side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and was fitted by my local shop to a 54cm Cross Check

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Race or Ride?

Is she racing or riding the X-Check?

I'm 5'10" and started on a 54 then moved up to 56 for comfort. My wife is 5'8" and really enjoys the 54 now. Neither one of us races cyclocross and our XCs are our Alaska road bikes.

I think your GF could ride either size w/ no problems, so if she's racing Cross I'd go 52 and if she's using it for the other hundred uses the XC is good for I'd go 54.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm 5'9", 32" inseam and ride a 56cm CC. The standover clearance is acceptable but borderline, and with large volume tires I might have been better off with a 54cm frame. The bike doesn't feel too large in any other way while I'm riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I agree with patirwin. If she's actually racing, get the smaller size. If she's just riding, get the larger size.

Standover height is a useless measurement when you're actually riding the bike and is only important really for offroad riding. Proper TT length/reach and comfortable handlebar height is more important.

Since you're building up the frame yourself, it won't be hard to select a stem and handlebar that gives her proper reach even if the frame size itself is a little off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would recommend a 50 unless she has long arms and or torso. The cross check is pretty long.

You need to look at the effect top tube length she rides now (if she likes it) and choose a CC frame that is similar in ETT length.