mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Surly 1X1 fork . Quality fork or status quo?

I have s 90"s Stumpjumper that is missing the original DD double butted fork. I also have a Surly 1X1 fork. How does the Surly stack up compared to what are considered quality steel forks like the DD fork, Ritchey Logic or Kona P2? It appears to be straight gauge 4130 steerer, does it have any suspension action are will it rattle my fillings out?

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Just popped one on my bike.. love it!

TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    I think the general opinion of the 1x1 fork is that it is well made, but pretty stout. Since you already have it, I would run it for now and see what you think.

The Kona P2 is known for being lighter and more 'flexy', likely due to smaller diameter legs, and thinner tubing (IIRC).

The P2 would probably 'rattle your fillings' less, but you already own the Surly ...

PRETENDURO
    You can run a 3" wide tire on a Surly 1x1 fork, dunno if that is helpful to the original poster or not.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The suspension on the 1x1 rigid fork is fantastic. Really great small bump adsorption while not bottoming out on the bigger hits.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fall View Post
    The suspension on the 1x1 rigid fork is fantastic. Really great small bump adsorption while not bottoming out on the bigger hits.
    Mine seems to be seized up! Anyone know of a good disassembly/service guide?

OP: It is not the cushiest or lightest rigid fork out there, but it has massive tire clearance, it's cheap and virtually bulletproof. IMO a big tire will give you a better ride than a smaller tire in a more flexy rigid fork anyway.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks guys , a Specialized DB Direct drive fork that is 250 grams lighter and was the original spec for the frame came up on EBay so I won't be needing the 1X1.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Mine seems to be seized up! Anyone know of a good disassembly/service guide?

OP: It is not the cushiest or lightest rigid fork out there, but it has massive tire clearance, it's cheap and virtually bulletproof. IMO a big tire will give you a better ride than a smaller tire in a more flexy rigid fork anyway.
    I guess I don't consider my 1x1 as a heavy fork considering other rigids. I agree on the bombproofness of the Surly. The legs are butted cromo and .. yeah they are a bit on the fat side, but..my way of thinking is that if you are looking for springiness in a fork, why bother with a rigid?
    To each their own.. I am diggin the Surly!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    I guess I don't consider my 1x1 as a heavy fork considering other rigids. I agree on the bombproofness of the Surly. The legs are butted cromo and .. yeah they are a bit on the fat side, but..my way of thinking is that if you are looking for springiness in a fork, why bother with a rigid?
    To each their own.. I am diggin the Surly!
    Springiness and steering accuracy are not mutually exclusive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    Just popped one on my bike.. love it!

Hey what size is ur frame, I am planing to pop it on my Trek 3700D 2013 model, did you have to cut the steerer tube?

mtbr member
    blah.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amit kakade View Post
    Hey what size is ur frame, I am planing to pop it on my Trek 3700D 2013 model, did you have to cut the steerer tube?
    You can put one on your Trek. The 1x1 fork will work just fine. They're not anything special, but works fine for me. You will need to cut the steerer tube, unless you want a lot of spacers on there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    You can put one on your Trek. The 1x1 fork will work just fine. They're not anything special, but works fine for me. You will need to cut the steerer tube, unless you want a lot of spacers on there.
    Do you ride a Trek 3700 as well,
    Another question:- My current fork the Suntour xcm the axel to crown distance is 481mm, and the surly is 453mm, therez a 28mm difference here..
    Even if i minus a 15mm SAG, i am still left with 8mm of difference..
    Will this affect the handling and the bottom bracket height?
    What's ur story, did u too go for a shorter fork with Surly , if yes, how much?

Amit..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No, I don't ride a 3700, but you will be fine with 453 A/C length fork. They're designed for frames built around 100mm suspension forks.

Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes