mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Surly 12mm Thru Axle Slotted with Hanger‏ MDS Chips?

Anyone know where to find a set of Surly 12mm Thru Axle Slotted with Hanger‏ MDS Chips? I'm not able to find them anywhere locally at dealers or online. Makes me nervous that Surly is getting rid of MDS

Name:  69960.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  15.5 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    MDS isn't going anywhere, those dropouts haven't come out yet as far as I know. QBP isn't showing an estimated arrival date either.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks, good to know. Surly have had those dropouts listed for a long time on their website, strange that they haven't released them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    MDS isn't going anywhere, those dropouts haven't come out yet as far as I know. QBP isn't showing an estimated arrival date either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    Thanks, good to know. Surly have had those dropouts listed for a long time on their website, strange that they haven't released them yet.
    no,its not...surly truly sucks at actually getting small parts and tires to market,it usually takes them at least a full year to have shit they put up on their site actually be available...stainless drop stop chainrings?cant buy them although apparently you can get the bashguard that goes with it,the mds chips,which are sort of critical to actually have.cant get them,want a replacement chainring for your od crank? forget it...

i just dont get it,it seems like a frustrating way to do business to constantly piss off your customer base,seems like it would be smarter to wait until they have actual saleable products before they announce them or put them up on the site...yet somehow having a partially functional prototype equates to "coming soon"...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Surly seems to have really dropped the ball on distribution in recent years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i love my surly frames/bikes,i do have 5 of them in the house,but i admit to some frustration with the inability to get something as crucial as the dropout chips...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just checked QBP and 'out of stock'. I guess I won't be able to build the Instigator I just bought unless I want to use Shimano direct mount.

**** this ****
    Quote Originally Posted by maelstromwbc View Post
    Just checked QBP and 'out of stock'. I guess I won't be able to build the Instigator I just bought unless I want to use Shimano direct mount.
    Did the frame ship with only the direct mount dropouts?

I was under the impression that the frame came with DM, SS dropouts and vert with a hanger as well.

edit: Dumb question, 12mm slotted with a hanger, not 10mm SS as mentioned on their site.