mtbr member
    Jul 2011

which surley frame is good for xc ?

im thinking about getting one...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'd pick a 1x1 or a KM in a jiffy.

MTB B'dos
    Well if you're set on the Surly brand, then you can't beat the Karate Monkey Very versatile steel frame, can be run as a sweet commuter with racks etc., and with the swap of tyres hit some light trails - wouldn't recomend anything tech with racks, fenders etc on with big knobby tyres Works great set up exclusively as a trail slayer, either rigid or with a little front squish.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Don't forget the new Troll... Haven't ridden one, but I imagine it riding like a 1x1 with gears.

mtbr member
    The Troll is definitely a fun ride with tons of flexibility built right in- single speed/geared/internal, disc or v-brake, trailer hauling and even the ability to a do light fat bike duty. It'll do it all and then some, you're only limited by your parts bin.

As added bonus it's going to be available as a complete bike this winter if you don't have a donor bike waiting to be converted.
    Alea Jacta Est

NONDURO
    Iíve done just around 3,000 miles of cross country riding this year on my Surly 1x1, and so far just under 600 miles on my Surly Pugsley. The Pugsley is more forgiving on technical terrain thanks to the balloon tires.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There's also the Ogre now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is an interesting question, so I thought I'd chime in with a little different perspective. Sure Surly has "mountain" bike frames of varying sort, but most, maybe all, of their frames work great for recreational, non-technical trail riding. That's one thing that makes them so wonderfull. LHT's and CC's happily take 45mm knobby tires and are great monstercrossers. Pacers don't take tires that big, but can get by on dirt roads. Especially with a 650b conversion. One of the Surly guys even took a Pacer on an off-road camping tour Blog. Even with the Steamroller, some folks have put together some really cool gravelgrinding, "Scorcher" builds. So its kind of a Rivendell-type view of XC riding. But its still fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I actually think it's a weird question, why choose a brand then decide what works for your use? Seems limiting, as much as I like Surlys. Also there is no 'e'. That aside, the KM gets my vote, with Ogre second. 1x1 with an Alfine / Hammerschmidt combo would rule. Or a LHT built up as an oldschool XC bike with cantis and knobby 2.1s!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

NONDURO
    Technical riding on both my 1x1 and Pugsley have been non-issues. All one needs to do is pretty much point-and-shoot. With the lack of suspension, just using oneís body to shift the weight around gets one past/through most obstacles. Sure, itís a lot more work, but a hell of a good thorough workout at that.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I love my KM, which I use for aggressive XC trail riding. I've only had it since July, but it has been built as a SS, fixed gear and now a 3x9 geared bike. It handled great in each outfit, and has always been used for trail riding.

A few things I've noticed about the KM are: the short chainstays feel great and make it a very snappy ride.

The BB height is a bit low for my taste and has lead to some pedal strikes (using 175mm crank arms). I did previously ride a bike with a higher BB so it just took some getting used to. The low BB may be a factor in what helps the bike corner so well though..

The frame and fork feel nice and stiff. Had issues with another rigid 29er fork in the past that flexed like crazy, but no issue with the KM.

It's not a light frameset. No clue on what the weight is and I really don't care. I'm sure mine is close to 30lbs built up with gears. I don't race XC, I just ride aggressively and frequently. If I do any local XC races though, it will be on this bike. I will use it for Cyclocross this fall however, because I no longer have a CX bike.

Bottom line, I'd buy the KM again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i agree, 1X1 can't be beat, and also, the versatile karate monkey for its ability to use gears

but lately, been looking at the troll for its ability to fit front/rear racks, fenders and disc brakes all at the same time, sort of an XC-adventure-touring-camping type of bike
    biker boy