Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

straggler rear rack options

Will the rear brake placement on the new Surly Straggler restrict rear rack options to a few of those expensive Tubus models? Or are there other less expensive options (even if not as apocalypse robust)?

Thx.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    OMM Sherpa? Though not exactly cheaper hah.

Old Man Mountain Rear Pannier Racks Fit Most Any Bike

Surprised Surly didn't go wih the between stay mount position that's become so popular.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just a couple I know of that have disc specific accommodations. I like the axiom idea of being able to adjust height and rearward offset. It seems like a nice idea. I have the Bontrager Deluxe rack that does not have a disc option on my Troll and it has proven in the short term to be a solid rack. There are plenty of affordable rear racks that accommodate disc brakes. It just depends on the level of rack you need for your planned use. Assess your needs and choose accordingly.

Bontrager Backrack Disc - has standoffs that push the rack stays out
    Bontrager: Products > Accessories > Racks

Axiom Journey Uni-Fit series (cromo or AL) - has adjustable extensions to move the rack back and up or down
    Journey Uni-Fit Series « Racks « Products « Axiom Performance Gear

Axiom Streamline series - same as Journey Uni-fit mounts, but narrower top platform
    Streamliner Series « Racks « Products « Axiom Performance Gear

Edit:
    Topeak MTX Disc series - has standoffs that push the rack stays out
    Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Racks > Tubular Racks MTX Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenanigans View Post
    OMM Sherpa? Though not exactly cheaper hah.

Old Man Mountain Rear Pannier Racks Fit Most Any Bike

Surprised Surly didn't go wih the between stay mount position that's become so popular.
    Crap the bed, those OMM racks are as or more expensive than the Tubus ones.

A $50 blackburn-type rack would be plenty Good Enough (TM) for my purposes, but the rear disc mounting position would seem to preclude such models.

Ok, I get the need for the rear disc mount position in terms of the Straggler's new-fangled rear dropouts. But it seems they could have sharpened their pencils a bit more to come up with a better solution. Heck, even I can imagine how those dropouts could be designed to work flipped the other way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Just a couple I know of that have disc specific accommodations. I like the axiom idea of being able to adjust height and rearward offset. It seems like a nice idea. I have the Bontrager Deluxe rack that does not have a disc option on my Troll and it has proven in the short term to be a solid rack. There are plenty of affordable rear racks that accommodate disc brakes. It just depends on the level of rack you need for your planned use.
    The Troll is no prob for any rear rack, because the disc brake is mounted forward of the axle. The issue with the Straggler is that the disk brake is mounted above the rear axle, on the back of the seat stay. In this position, it interferes with the struts of your normal everyday type of rear rack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    vitaly66, that's why I listed four+ other racks that are disc mount specific. I just gave my personal experience on a similar Bontrager rack for quality. Look at the other racks. They will work with the Straggler's disc configuration. And, they can be found for under $50 except the cromo versions of the Axioms. I'll go back and update my posting with links to the manufactures so you can look at those.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thx Turtle. Those Axiom racks do look workable, and price is decent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think the Axiom racks are a great option. They give a great amount of information there on the site as well. They have the video that describes the mounts and they have a pdf on the side for all the dimensions. Oh, didn't see it mentioned, but those mount plates seem to have fender holes on the rearward portion, pretty good thinking. If I didn't already have my two Bontrager racks I'd be looking at the Axioms for an affordable option.

never summer

Racktime Add-it...a friend has one her Vaya, so it clears disc brakes. Very similar to Tubus Logo Evo.

*sorry this wont work, I didn't realize the mounts are on the seat stay.
    Last edited by singlefin; 08-20-2013 at 07:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Singlefin, the Racktime Add-it will not fit on the Straggler. Vaya has the caliper mount on the chainstay while the Straggler's is on the seatstay putting the it in the way of the racks vertical mount. To bad Surly didn't just stick with the Troll/Ogre dropouts. Guess they wanted to keep it Crosscheck'ish/road'ish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've run the Topeak MTX Disc for about five years now, on two different bikes, and sometimes under pretty heavy loads. I've never had a problem with mine. I also like the MTX system; it allows you to just slide on the matching bags and such and have them click into place pretty securely. I've got the trunk bag with fold-down planners. It's treated me well so far.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Take a closer look at the seat stays. The mount point for the rack is above the disc mount. I don't see why any rack wouldn't work.

straggler rear rack options-surly2014-11.jpg

Edit with a better picture. From the drive side, but you can see that disc caliper clearance is not going to be an issue.

straggler rear rack options-straggler-dropouts.jpg
    Last edited by jcaino; 08-20-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thx for pointing out those extra braze-ons, jcaino. Any rear rack should be a breeze.

Apologies for the earlier crit of surly designer folk, their pencils look to be pretty sharp after all.

never summer

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle01 View Post
    Singlefin, the Racktime Add-it will not fit on the Straggler. Vaya has the caliper mount on the chainstay while the Straggler's is on the seatstay putting the it in the way of the racks vertical mount. To bad Surly didn't just stick with the Troll/Ogre dropouts. Guess they wanted to keep it Crosscheck'ish/road'ish.
    Good looking out. I edited my post.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Actually, that rack will work just fine. Look at pictures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Continuing to muse about this, I do see a couple potential issues with those extra rack braze-ons:

* higher center of gravity for load, as rack will be raised about 3" (good for tire/mud clearance though)

* possibly a little less heel clearance for any rear panniers, as rack mounting point will be forward of rear axle about 1"

Both of these issues can probably be covered by the "deal with it" policy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post

Or get an OMM rack and mount it to the QR or the lower braze ons at the back of the drop outs.

I've been using OMM racks for over 10yrs and my first rack is still going strong. Not the cheapest option, but they are made in the US, work great and will fit just about any bike you want to put them on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I've been using OMM racks for over 10yrs and my first rack is still going strong. Not the cheapest option, but they are made in the US, work great and will fit just about any bike you want to put them on.
    I can say I have a couple of blackburn racks running just fine on my road bikes for over 30 years now.

Anyway, no way I'm ever gonna spend $150+ for a rack. Glad you are happy with yours, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaly66 View Post
    Continuing to muse about this, I do see a couple potential issues with those extra rack braze-ons:

* higher center of gravity for load, as rack will be raised about 3" (good for tire/mud clearance though)

* possibly a little less heel clearance for any rear panniers, as rack mounting point will be forward of rear axle about 1"

I wonder with the rise of disc brakes if these higher mounts will mean shorter racks in the future, putting the rack to about the same height it would have been on a standard rack mount.
    Any entrepeneurs this might be something worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Holy smokes, I didn't notice the mounts that high. That actually kinda sucks. The Axiom Journey Adjustable 2429 (Journey Adjustable 2429 « Journey Series « Racks « Products « Axiom Performance Gear), or any other height adjustable rack, seems to be the way to go. Sorry for not noticing that earlier with my suggestions. Heel clearance may be an issue with any rack that can be fit of course with the mounts being forward of normal.

mtbr member

Karate Monkey owners have had to deal with same braze on's for years. I recommend a Blackburn MTN rack made for 26" wheels to lower centre of gravity.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Karate Monkey owners have had to deal with same braze on's for years. I recommend a Blackburn MTN rack made for 26" wheels to lower centre of gravity.
    A 26" MTN rack was exactly what I had in mind. Going to see how my existing rack fits first, though. If it fits too high up for my tastes, its going to go on my Pug, where it fits really well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I havnt looked..... but reading the above comments on heel clearance has made me think thus.
    If the chain-stays are short enough to make heel clearance an issue wouldnt the logical answer be to raise the rack.
    Oh wait......

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Tubus Nova SS front and Cosmo SS rear racks on a Straggler

I'm running a Tubus Cosmo SS rear rack on my Straggler. Had to use a Tubus Rear Extension Adapter kit to mount the rack to the eyelets on the rear of the dropouts instead of the seat stays. This allowed the rack to be moved back and down. There are no heel strike issues with my Ortlieb panniers. Also the rack sits lower which helped make the bike handle better because or the lower CG. The rack fits perfectly. Clears the BB7 brake arm too.straggler rear rack options-img_6067.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6055.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6063.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6066.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6068.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6075.jpgstraggler rear rack options-img_6070.jpgOnce everything was set and test riding went well, I replaced the washer and spacer stacks with correct sized aluminum spacers which I ordered from aluminumspacers.com. Update 7/10/14: I just finished a 450 mile ride to Key West and everything worked perfectly. Loaded with approximately 50 lbs. in the 4 panniers. I am extremely pleased with the racks and their fit. Just one word of wisdom, use blue Loctite on the mounting screws. I lost one from my front rack and had to stop in at a hardware store for a replacement.
    Last edited by minglett; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:42 PM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got a picture?

My PDW rack definitely sits up too high, as I had anticipated. I'm going to go with a rack designed for 26" wheels and believe that should work just fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast