Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Starting over - which two Surlys?

If you could start over knowing what you know now, what two Surly bikes would you take for your two-bike-quiver and why?

With only two bikes, I'm thinking versatility would rule over my decision. That said, Surly bikes are so damn versatile, that's still a hard decision!

Troll? Ogre? Cross Check? ECR? 1x1? Let the opinions fly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hmm... if I were going to have ONLY Surly's, I'd probably get an ICT (fat, 29+, 29er) and a Straggler (everything else).
    Currently I've got an old cross-check and an El Mariachi. Love them both, but would love to get a bike that could handle some big rubber.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    boy,thats a tough one...i have an ogre,karate monkey,moonlander,and krampus....i love all 4 bikes but if i could go back in time i would replace the moonlander with a pugsley...not that the 'lander isnt a totally awesome bike but it has gotten a bit frustrating waiting for there to be more than a few tire choices...thats been the only thing i have disliked about the moonlander though...that and the xt rear hub...

mtbr member
    700c Disc Trucker and a Krampus.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If only limited to Surly and 2 bikes (I think 5 bikes is minimal), I'd go ICT/Pug and 26" Disc Trucker. The fat bike will cover winter and MTB rides. DT will be converted to 650b and cover road/rando rides. Both will be used to pull the Chariot when riding with kids.

I thought about the Straggler, and that may work out as well, but I like the shorter TT, longer HT of the DT better. Can't stand short HT (aesthetically).

seedub
    Straggler and Krampus have my votes, both are so versatile and cross over somewhat IMO.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Starting over - which two Surlys?

Instigator 2.0 (cool I am half way there- I own it) because it is everything I want. Rides great as a 26er (although felt a smidge low) and seems to be right at home 27.5 (I converted from 26 to 27.5 because my fork crapped out and I wanted a taper steer tube and no QR front axle- not related to wheel size). I love SS option and geared option. With a 140mm front fork it does not wander on climbs (although I ride a longer stem at 90mm).

Winter has stunk where I live- I have put on weight and feel like a true fat bike would be fantastic for snow rides. So I think ICT but need more time to determine needs vs want.

Cross Check with discs would be really cool too

And the Krampus is drool worthy....

Now that I think about it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Surly only? Disc Trucker and Ogre.

QBP only? Salsa Vaya and Ogre. I have both and they are a perfect match

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    If I were only going to have two bikes they would be a dual suspension trail bikes and a 29er with two forks, rigid and suspension, and possibly two wheels sets. Well...and a BMX bike, but I would choose that over anything sooo.

But two Surlys? A KM (with rack mounts) and an Instigator v2. But there would be 8 wheels and 4 forks between them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    If I were only going to have two bikes they would be a dual suspension trail bikes and a 29er with two forks, rigid and suspension, and possibly two wheels sets. Well...and a BMX bike, but I would choose that over anything sooo.

But two Surlys? A KM (with rack mounts) and an Instigator v2. But there would be 8 wheels and 4 forks between them.
    Curious what wheels and forks. Do tell!

mtbr member
    Hmm, interesting question. I would probably end up with:

- Straggler for road riding, camping, riding around town, touring, etc

- Krampus for mountain biking

These would work, but neither would be ideal. Kind of the way with Surlys, isn't it? I would prefer a sloping top tube on the Straggler (I like my clearance: I stop a lot when I'm pulling the kids around), and I've had a Krampus, and found it too long and stiff, and hated the dropouts... but I really like 29+, so what else is there?
    WTB: fatbike wheelset: 170 rear, 135 front w/ rear hub spaced disc (Mukluk style)
    FS: ERB (Slingshot) Bike

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by comicbikerdad View Post
    Curious what wheels and forks. Do tell!
    Both bikes would have a rigid and suspension fork. Fargo fork and 100mm Fox for the KM, I'd have to do some research for the Instigator but likely Fox 140mm and something steel.

For the KM I would have a set of WTB i25s with MTB tires and a set of i19s for commuting, touring, and gravel. Instigator would have a set of 650 i25s and a set of 26+ Duallys. All with DT Swiss hubs, 350 or 240s depending on application.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You could sell your Moonie wheels and frame to me. Simply move the horn, stereo, racks, bags, bottles, whatnot, over to your new Pugsley frame.

That plan assumes you can't go back in time. Work on that first, I think you can do it.

You missed a solid fat/29+ ride to Tonuco Mt last week. We had two Krampi, an ECR, and a Beargrease along.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Instigator (fun times in the dirt) & Big Dummy (daily duties on pavement)
    22 Going on 23

mtbr member
    Instigator and KM for me. Already have both and love the combo. I will second what big_papa_nuts said on forks and wheels earlier.

I have a rigid and 80 mm fork for the KM. Rigid for the winter when I am on the road a bit more than normal, 80 mm Reba for the race season. Already have a Pike 150 for the Instigator and might throw a rigid fat fork on her next winter for some fun in the snow. One set of wheels works for for the KM, but eventually would like a set of 27 wheels (Blunt SS/DT 350s) and a true 26 fat wheel for the Instigator.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Hamsterspam,
    I'm still thinking about your Moonlander. You can keep any of the parts and pieces but I'll take the frame. Ideally I'd buy the wheels as well.

Oh, and to play along with the thread--
    I currently have an ECR so adding a SS Crosscheck seems like a reasonable way to achieve cycling balance but....fat fits my terrain/style better so here's hoping on that Moonie.

Am I the only one who loves the ECR?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    You could sell your Moonie wheels and frame to me. Simply move the horn, stereo, racks, bags, bottles, whatnot, over to your new Pugsley frame.

That plan assumes you can't go back in time. Work on that first, I think you can do it.

You missed a solid fat/29+ ride to Tonuco Mt last week. We had two Krampi, an ECR, and a Beargrease along.
    Hamsterspam,
    I'm still thinking about your Moonlander. You can keep any of the parts and pieces but I'll take the frame. Ideally I'd buy the wheels as well.

Oh, and to play along with the thread--
    I currently have an ECR so adding a SS Crosscheck seems like a reasonable way to achieve cycling balance but....fat fits my terrain/style better so here's hoping on that Moonie.

Am I the only one who loves the ECR?
    unless you happen to be both very tall and live nearby it probably wouldnt work...
    its a xxl frame....

the ECR is another fine machine,one of the local surly owners takes his all over the place down some of the most awful sandy arroyos and rock gardens..

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I live very close and am indeed very tall. In fact I'm the local ECR owner you speak of.

I'll give you call later.

...Am I the only one who loves the ECR?
    Nope, I'd love to get an ECR. But if constrained to 2 bikes only, it wouldn't make the cuts for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I live very close and am indeed very tall. In fact I'm the local ECR owner you speak of.

I'll give you call later.
    lol,thats pretty funny,you bet,im frustrating to get a hold of by phone but i will try and keep it nearby today...otherwise i will be at the bike swap this weekend...i was talking to the krampus and beargrease last night at tuesday night ride,been slacking on my long distance stuff lately...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    hamsterspam and Matterhorn, where ya'll at? I'm 6'7" and want into this tall Surly owner club. I have an XXL ICT and a 64cm Disc Trucker. I'd love to try an XXL ECR though...

As far as this question goes, I think if I had to start over I'd do an Ice Cream Truck and a Straggler. The Disc Trucker is overkill for most of what I do. A straggler is good enough for road riding, and flexible enough for dirt roads and easy trails. The ICT can run 29+ wheelsets with a bluto, which makes it a perfect year round mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    southwest for both of us,im 6'6" and matterhorn is about the same height...

now im torn,i was just riding the moony last night,had a fine time out in the desert,been thinking of doing some long fat bike rides in the near future...

but in belated reference to the original thread premise,ogre and krampus....from what i have currently....the ogre is just too damn useful not to have,i use that as the family suv so to speak,hauling a trailer for groceries and the like,and the krampus is just balls out fun to ride....as much as i love the karate monkey full rigid is beating me up,and i have to admit i rarely use the full fatness of the moonlander...i can tell you that matterhorn would moonlander the hell out of some sandy ass soul sucking arroyos and rocky ass rarely traveled jeep roads...

mtbr member
    ok, I'll join!
    I got a Pugsley and a Crosscheck which pretty much all I need.
    However, I can't decide between the ECR and the Krampus. I plan to use a Rohloff hub by the way if that matter.
    Need your opinion please!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    ok, I'll join!
    However, I can't decide between the ECR and the Krampus. I plan to use a Rohloff hub by the way if that matter.
    Depends on your intended usage.

mtbr member
    ok, I'll join!
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast