mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SS front crank options for my CC?

I ordered a 2011 charcoal Salsa Vaya the other day. I REALLY like my CC, but I think the Vaya is a little better suited for an "adventure" touring bike. So, I started tearing the CC down yesterday. I thought about selling the frame, but I am thinking that the CC would make a really cool singlespeed cruiser that I can use around the neighborhood and riding with my wife. Her idea of "cycling" is riding 5 miles down the bike path to get an ice cream! So, do you guys have any suggestions for a front crank/gear? I have seen some nice ones that have designs cut in them. Looking for all black or at least black and chrome.

get down!
    I used a Bontrager SS crankset from a Lemond. They come stock with a 44tooth front and pop up on eBay from time to time.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Just put these on mine. 165 Sugino XD-2 arms with a 110bcd. Great SS arms and reasonably priced. I unpacked them and installed them this morning. Great fit and finish. Very pleased. Ordered them from Ben's Cycle. Also you can go to your LBS and dig through their parts bins for any older crankset and just pair it with an appropriate BB using a single ring. Have fun with your CC! That's what they're made for!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice! I like the look of that Sugino....Thanks for the replies....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad
    Just put these on mine. 165 Sugino XD-2 arms with a 110bcd. Great SS arms and reasonably priced.
    I have that in black on mine. I think I got it off ebay for not too much. I have used 42 and 48t rings on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS front crank options for my CC?-cranks.jpg  

mtbr member
    After the first ride this afternoon(very short, so take with grain of salt.) the new arms feel great. Any flexitude that's happening is likely coming from the frame, but all feels good and I like the 165 length for spinny spin spin. I have a feeling that they'll do exactly what I want them to do(hold pedals, a chainring, and go round and round).