Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... So...which Surly are you getting for 2013?

What Surly do you want this year and why?

I have been drooling over the Krampus since it was released. It looks like such a fun bike that's very capable at the same time. I just can't decide whether I want to build up a frame or wait for a complete. I'm also thinking about getting a road bike, just not sure which one yet...Pacer or Cross Check...so what're you thinking?
    Last edited by sasquatch rides a SS; 11-22-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: nevermind...edit didn't work

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just started building up my 2013 Troll to join my 2011 Pugsley. It'll be the 4th Surly I've owned.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I like that purple so much I almost considered selling my '12 1x1 frameset and replacing it with the '13 Troll

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pictures do the purple no justice, it's so rad.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for my Big Dummy to arrive at the local shop. I ordered a complete although I'll swap out the saddle and bars for stuff I have laying around, a Brooks and Surly Open Bars. It should see a lot of mileage this fall and winter. I'll most likely say goodbye to my CC. Perhaps next year I'll part with my 700c LHT for a 26" wheeled Disc Trucker.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    A NOS Big Dummy in army green. Going to be my winter semifat bike, for starters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    ...Perhaps next year I'll part with my 700c LHT for a 26" wheeled Disc Trucker.
    What's your reasoning for swapping for a 26" wheel vs. a 700c wheel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    What's your reasoning for swapping for a 26" wheel vs. a 700c wheel?
    I'd like to be able to run a bigger tired and stronger wheel. I kinda like that it's odd while still functional. Maybe set it up with an Open Bar as an "updated" homage to the XO-1.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

PRETENDURO
    I just want a Big Fat Dummy, but they still arenít offering one.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Semi Fat will suit me just fine. Some 2.5" Nevagals on a nice wide rim. Even though I live where we get severe winters, fat bikes are just too narrowly focused for me. For now.....

mtbr member
    Surly needs to do a 29er Dummy that can be paired with a Salsa Enabler fork.

mtbr member
    Well if they're gonna go 29'er Dummy, why not just go 29+" Dummy

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    necro pugs and a pacer for me this year, krampus next year. that should round out my big dummy, karate monkey, steamroller collection.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    An uber sexy robins egg blue CrossCheck for cross season set up singlespeed and tubeless!

mtbr member
    Started looking for a used Ogre frame/fork, but if I can't find one for a reasonable price I'll just go new.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    What Surly do you want this year and why?
    I could dream up a lot of Surly builds I would like, but I won't be buying any in 2013. I just sold one of my Surly fleet and I'm pondering selling another.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Contemplating a 1x1 frame, but that might turn into another Troll...
    I think I could do something with any of their frames though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I could dream up a lot of Surly builds I would like, but I won't be buying any in 2013. I just sold one of my Surly fleet and I'm pondering selling another.
    Which did one did you sell and what's the other one you might sell?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Which did one did you sell and what's the other one you might sell?
    I sold my oldest LHT a 700c model. I've got 3 Surly bikes left - a 26" wheeled LHT, Big Dummy and a Pugsley. I'm keeping the Pugsley for sure. We've also got a Cross Check that's my GF's daily commuter - it's not going anywhere.

I'd love to try a Krampus one of these days, but at the moment I need cash more than I need a fleet of bikes in the garage.

This isn't any statement about Surly. They are one of my favourite bike brands. Besides not working full time this year I moved from a downtown apartment in a big city to a house on an underpopulated island and I'm now in the 'burbs of a much smaller town. Instead of living 2hrs from MTB trails I live 15mins from them and have a ton of logging roads to tour on. That means my FS MTB and my hardtail are being used something like 10 to 1 vs. my road going bikes.
    Last edited by vikb; 09-14-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm thing that it's going to be either the CC or LHT. I've got a 2011 Pacer set up as pure road bike with a Tiagra group which it great for some rides but I'd love to something to take leisurely weekend rides. My goal is a all surly fleet.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer1 View Post
    I'm thing that it's going to be either the CC or LHT. I've got a 2011 Pacer set up as pure road bike with a Tiagra group which it great for some rides but I'd love to something to take leisurely weekend rides. My goal is a all surly fleet.
    Really, how about a 29er or a MTB?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well because I really like either the CC or LHT. Not sure what a 29er will give that other don't, they seem to be more of a mountain type which I am to old to do. I'm looking to get away and see things that I can't while in the car or riding fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sorry, I didn't quite get that. You are too old to do what?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Now that the Troll has acqiured the extra braze-ons I will be getting one ASAP, to be built up with a Rohloff hub for touring.

The Krampus also looks really good. I've been looking at fatbikes since the Pugsley first appeared, but cannot get past the 100mm BB shell and massive Q. It looks to me like the Krampus would do most of the same stuff while not being an ergonomic disaster (for me), and I'm not likely to do any/much snow or deep sand riding as I"d rather go XC skiing in the frst instance, and am not fond of deserts in the second. For the typical sandstone around here (mostly hardpack wth sand patches at times) the Krampus would likely kill it, and the bigger wheels should mean less need for susension, so less $ for maintenance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beautiful.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast