Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumper View Post
    Sold my truck and ordered a Pugsley last week. This will make Surly number two for me!
    Grumper, sometimes you just gotta follow the Fibonacci sequences in life and Lateralus from truck to bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Spoiled myself. Got a moonlander in oct. and have been enjoying the bejesus out of it. On the not so well groomed trails I've been on this winter, it's been the difference between riding(albeit slowly) and hiking. Was able to walk away from a beargrease equipped and usually faster than me buddy unless the trail was uber packed. Just built up a hospital foam crosscheck last night with donor parts from road bike. Fits very nice, has the surly keep-a-liquored-up-hipster-upright feeling in the steering and just seems like a bike that'll handle 90% of anyones riding "pretty well". Weighing the chances of the missus throwing me out if I get a Krampus....
    If you're reading this thinking about getting a surly, just do it. If you're not happy with it, it's probably because you're a jerk on some level
    You look like a dork in those capri pants.

mtbr member

Surly Dirty Blue Cross Check build.

58Cm Surly Dark Dirty Blue Cross Check 2X9 micro shift and HD wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So...which Surly are you getting for 2013?-img_1702.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi CBUL,

Can you tell us what your PBH and your height are?

What length stem are you using?

I'm trying to decide between a 58cm and a 60cm CC. I'm no fan of having lots of seat post showing, but I also don't want to be too stretched out trying to reach the handlebars either.

My PBH is 89cm and I'm 6ft tall, just for reference and I really like my 18in KM with 90mm stem and Titec H-bar.

Intended use for the CC is mostly gravel and pavement road riding. I have my KM for the singletrack.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Spiny mouse- I'm uneducated as to what "PBH" is ....Pubic bone height?? Don't know but my inseam is 34 inches.
    I'm 6' as you are and my buddies 58cm cross check fit me nice so I went with it. I did get a 120 stem for my gibbon arms and cut off very little from the fork. That may change but snow and ice have prevented me from road testing. Stand over is good but the real deal is how the actual cock pit length feels...its dandy for me. That 60 may be a bit long unless you have a NBA wing span. The stem can help a bit. The 58 fits me . I do ride a 20" Karate Monkey as well. Sounds like we share the same basic stable of bikes!
    Are looking to build or just buy one?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    PBH = Pubic Bone Height See Grant Peterson's explanation here: Learn About Bikes with Rivendell Bicycle Works

My inseam is closer to 32 and my arms aren't especially long (they just look that way because I'm pretty skinny), so a 58cm CC may work well for me. My seat would probably be a little lower than yours, which would expose less seatpost, and I like that. And I could use a 90mm stem, also more to my liking. My worry with the 60cm is that I'll be uncomfortable reaching the handlebars without an odd-looking shorty stem. My measured standover would be OK with either.

I'd like to build up the CC myself, like I did with my KM a couple of years ago. I chose the 18" KM, even though most other 6' tall riders seem to go for the 20", but I've been very happy with the fit.

I'm also looking forward to the snow melting and turning the world into mud.

Thanks for the reply and for showing us pictures of your good-looking CC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trilancing View Post
    Grumper, sometimes you just gotta follow the Fibonacci sequences in life and Lateralus from truck to bike.
    It's been the best decision I've made in a long time, only bummer is I just got shoulder surgery so no riding for me for a couple months.

Bike Geek
    My plan was to buy a Surly Pacer this year so i did last January but then a month after, i found an awesome deal on a Long Haul Trucker so i got one too. I thought i was done for the year when all of a sudden, last week, the LBS that i frequent received a batch of Krampus' (Krampii?), just one of each size, so...good thing a have a very understanding wife.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

So...which Surly are you getting for 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by nordstern1 View Post
    My plan was to buy a Surly Pacer this year so i did last January but then a month after, i found an awesome deal on a Long Haul Trucker so i got one too. I thought i was done for the year when all of a sudden, last week, the LBS that i frequent received a batch of Krampus' (Krampii?), just one of each size, so...good thing a have a very understanding wife.
    That's a stellar Surly collection.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Tried to do the one bike thing last year with an Ogre. I decided that approach was a little too ambitious, feeling like I was missing a bike for grab and go urban fun. Last week I found a minty fresh 2011 Cross Check on CL. This week a 2004 1x1 is coming. The Ogre is moving out next week.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd bump this thread...maybe it can be used for 2014 models now
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    For this year, I just want the wheel set from the new Instigator. 26+ on my Troll would be amazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    For this year, I just want the wheel set from the new Instigator. 26+ on my Troll would be amazing.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to backcountryeti again."

I wanted to do this with my 1x1 for the longest time to make an awesome semi-fat rig!

Velocity Dually rims are available now from QBP in 26", they cost a bit less than the Rabbit Hole rims and are only 5mm narrower

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to backcountryeti again."

I wanted to do this with my 1x1 for the longest time to make an awesome semi-fat rig!

Velocity Dually rims are available now from QBP in 26", they cost a bit less than the Rabbit Hole rims and are only 5mm narrower
    Thanks for the heads up! For the price, I can deal with 5mm less!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! For the price, I can deal with 5mm less!
    They're stronger, lighter and tubeless ready, also. I'm hoping to pick up a set of 29" Dually's when they're back in stock. QBP only has a few pairs left in 26" so you'd better hurry

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7