Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thinking of converting the front end on my instigator to fat and really contemplating a karate monkey frame fork and moving parts onto it from my steamroller and running it fixed as a commuter and later get a 29er wheelset. I am digging the gunship gray km...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

this is one nice bike!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattdokken View Post
    I just can't stop looking/drooling at this picture. What a nice looking bike! I want a Yellow pugsley in the worst way, but the black is nice as well. With three kids and two surlys (ss KM and a pacer) I won't be getting a new surly anytime soon, but dreaming sure is nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^ I completely agree, I have no need for another bike but I like looking/drooling over fat bikes myself. A little dreaming never hurt.

Some of the best looking bikes are over in the picture threads in the Fat Bikes - Mtbr Forums subforum.

mtbr member
    I heard back from Surly the other day...I missed my chance to order a Krampus frameset, at least for now they say. That's a shame, too, I already have most of the parts for the build. They say more frames will be available in the spring when the completes go for sale. I'm going to pre-order as soon as I get the chance this time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    I heard back from Surly the other day...I missed my chance to order a Krampus frameset, at least for now they say. That's a shame, too, I already have most of the parts for the build. They say more frames will be available in the spring when the completes go for sale. I'm going to pre-order as soon as I get the chance this time.
    Damn, this sucks, I was thinking about contacting them to see if I could get a frameset.

I might just get teh complete tho, but either way this bike is gonna be friggin cool. can't wait!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    ^ I completely agree, I have no need for another bike but I like looking/drooling over fat bikes myself. A little dreaming never hurt.
    Ditto, I actually tried to get a 2013 Muk complete in orange but they were out. I don't even ride in the snow or sand often and I like suspension for my MTBing, so it was a stretch to justify (was going to build a 29er wheelset to go with it). I just have an irrational love for them.

Instead I'm swapping all my Salsa Vaya parts onto a Ogre frameset, which is a more practical version of an all-surface adventure rig.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    This is your chance to go full fat...

mtbr member
    Just recently built up my Karate Monkey and after looking at the Black Sheep fat tyred bike at the Single Speed World Championships, I now have my eye on the Pugsley Necromancer.

But as we don't have snow nor am I close to the coast it will be used purely on local dirt terrain. So the decision I need to make is, will it replace a 160mm Titus El Guapo or in addition to?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    This is your chance to go full fat...
    Yeah, I wish Krampus is more my style, though. (full-fat has crossed my mind a time or ten this week).

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    You know that 29+ will also fit on a Pugs, right ?

mtbr member
    I know this I'm just choosing not to hear it from you

R.I.P. Pugsley.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    You know that 29+ will also fit on a Pugs, right ?
    eh, but the geo isn't the same.
    -Eric

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Sssst, don't let Sassy find out....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Man, and I thought having to wait Oct to Nov for my dummy was way too long (crosses fingers). Not until the spring? Seems a shame to be out-of-stock right before the holiday season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well ordered an Ogre today, nothing visually different from a 2012 but that isn't a bad thing in this case.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    New to the forum, just bought a Pugsley Necromancer. LOVE IT. Is it okay to turn back the clock and call it the Black Ops Pugsley, or will the lawyers come drag me away?

Matthew

mtbr member
    I got to thinking last night that I have never really ridden a steel "road" bike. I have an aluminum cross bike that I love, but its definitely built for speed and not for comfort. I have trouble justifying a cross check, but I have basically all the parts I would need for a new cyclocross build - thinking of putting all those parts on a long haul trucker frame. Assume this would be much more comfy on 50-100 mile road rides than my current rig.

I really want a pugsley at some point too, but I don't really have room for it. So I will need to design a more efficient bike rack system for my garage first
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I got to thinking last night that I have never really ridden a steel "road" bike. I have an aluminum cross bike that I love, but its definitely built for speed and not for comfort. I have trouble justifying a cross check, but I have basically all the parts I would need for a new cyclocross build - thinking of putting all those parts on a long haul trucker frame. Assume this would be much more comfy on 50-100 mile road rides than my current rig.

I really want a pugsley at some point too, but I don't really have room for it. So I will need to design a more efficient bike rack system for my garage first
    The CC would probably be more comfy than the LHT actually unless you were loaded up. The LHT has a sturdier tubeset. The CC is so versatile with all the braze-ons etc that I think it's quite justifiable for someone who likes CX ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post

Defenetly a big feel difference between steel and alum.

Aluminum is harsh, stiffer and not near as compliant. Steel will flex, with surly frames, usually quite a bit. But, the ride quality is loads better imo. If you just want performance, get alum. or carbon, but the niceness of a steel bike is hard to top.
    -Eric

I <3 dirt
    My cross check rides like a wet noodle. I wouldn't have it any other way
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg07 View Post
    Thinking of converting the front end on my instigator to fat .........
    Hey I'm doing this (very slowly mind you) at the moment. Putting the sc32 front end from my pugs and have had a rear large marge wheel built. Canti posts gone... Not much clearance in the rear, only an old 2.5 would fit. My dreams of fat trail sort of faded....

Slightly off topic but I will be getting 29er nards for my pugsley skinny wheels

Love the krampus idea but no room at the moment

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've got 1 green Ogre and 1 purple Troll on order. Next year should be a fun summer for me and the wife.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Oh, man... now I have choices. Ended up with enough extra disposable cash to maybe afford a 2nd nice bike beyond the Dummy I have on order. I'd LOVE to replace my POS commuter bike that I had slated to replace in spring/summer next year. I'm thinking of a CC or LHT. Any thoughts/suggestions?

mtbr member
    My new (to me) KM should be here tomorrow! A chum bucket red model from the mtbr classifieds.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast