mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Show KM 1x9/10 builds

Thinking about going that route.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    check out the surly and KM pic thread... I ran mine 1x9 for a good bit of the time I had it, no monkey nuts involved was prob the best part (at least on the older models you had to be careful on your tire and front der. that you choose to use or else it would rub)... not an issue if you don't run gears up front
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was running my CC 1x9 but dialed back to 1x7 (42T chainring). 7 is also more than I need, really. Plus the fewer the gears the lower the angles the chain has to move across, less opportunity for chain launch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    Plus the fewer the gears the lower the angles the chain has to move across, less opportunity for chain launch.
    The angles the chain has to move across will be functionally the same, if not exactly the same, for 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 cog cassettes. What am I missing here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    The angles the chain has to move across will be functionally the same, if not exactly the same, for 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 cog cassettes. What am I missing here?
    7 speed cassette's are slightly narrower than 8/9/10 speed (I'm not sure about 11 speed) by 4.5mm...You can use a 4.5mm spacer behind a 7 speed cassette to run it on an 8/9/10 freehub...however it doesn't make any huge differences. That 4.5mm would never persuade me to go from 8-10 down to 7
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...