mtbr member

Good job! Seen on the street: Original Rat Ride 1x1

Rat Ride (pre-Surly) 1x1

Saw this vintage Rat Ride 1x1 locked up in Toronto. Set up as a pretty sweet commuter ride.

It's nice to see one of the vintage frames still being used, with a bunch of pretty smart components on it.

PRETENDURO
    Vintage? Which year is it from?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    It's one of the original frames - it predates the 'Surly' brand name.

At that point, if I remember correctly, the company was called 1x1, and the frame was the Rat Ride. It was the only frame they produced, and they had a couple accessories including the Torsion Bar.

I have hazy recollections of a very basic mid-90s website for the company.

I believe it was still owned by QBP.

This frame is what the 11th anniversary Rat Ride frame was referencing, so I guess the vintage timeline is about 11 years.

PRETENDURO
    Ah, I see now—that sort of “vintage”, with a pre-Surly nomenclature explanation. So does this mean I should sell my 2009 11th anniversary edition Surly 1x1 Rat Ride (in a handy 18" frame size), or hang onto it so as to make a profit selling it on eBay in another 10 years?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Obi
    mtbr member
    Sure, but it's far more likely that my pink or green 14" 1x1's will sell for higher. You can get things re-powdercoated, but you can't match the original colors.

FWIW my buddy just sold his original white 1x1, first year model in white, stolen the next day b/c the buyer left it locked up in downtown S.F.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

PRETENDURO
    I’ve seen a few people on eBay selling their 1x1 “Rat Ride” limited edition bikes, which was why I asked the question regarding the use of the term “vintage”—I had no idea for how long the Surly 1x1 existed. Some cockbag gave me negative rep points for my comment, since the moron assumed I was trying to bash someone. Yeah, nevermind the fact that I own a freakin 2009 Surly 1x1 11th Anniversary Edition bike (18" size) and was asking an innocent question as to the vintage nature and possible collectible value of it. Jeesus christ, some people need to sit down and smoke a bowl and mellow the flock out.

mtbr member
    I gave you a rep bump. Hope that makes up for the neg.

Someone downed my rep and called me a 'tool' in another thread for pointing out that technical information offered by another poster was incorrect. These are the perils of the rep system, I guess.

PRETENDURO
    Yeah, unfortunately, that is the problem with online “conversations”, since the intonation of the voice (which means EVERYTHING) is not a factor whatsoever, and therefore the tone is sorely missed out on. I WISH EVERYTHING WAS STILL ALLCAPS AS IT WAS BACK IN THE 1980S WHEN WE HAD DIAL-UP CHAT SYSTEMS. EVERYONE WAS YELLING--IT WAS RAD.

tl1
    Bicyclist

The years haven't been kind to this rat

It seems to have grown some sort of huge black tumor behind the seatpost.