mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Salsa Minimalist Rack for Surly Karate Monkey

Has anybody installed a Salsa minimalist rack as a rear rack on a KM. I have the updated version with disc only and I was looking for a slim light weight rear rack for my bike to bungee down some light weight stuff if I grab something like TP or paper towels on my way home from work. I also ride singletrack and city rides on this one as I only have one bike. Any thoughts or suggestions? Once installed I would most likely not take it off for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Salsa Minimalist Rack for Surly Karate Monkey

Probably should check if it will install right.

Personally I had the same intentions with my salsa Fargo. I liked the minimalist look... But it only holds 5kg...thats nothing. Not worth it for $80! Especially considering you need to buy the salsa rack-lock seat collar for it... That's an extra $25 I think.

I went with the salsa wanderlust rack for my Fargo.

mtbr member
    11 Lbs of tp is alot! I have seen a rear rack, a fender, also a rack and fender on a karate monkey. The latter with slight mods. I plan on doing the same.
    Last edited by Thee42; 05-22-2013 at 04:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Salsa Minimalist Rack for Surly Karate Monkey

Hey... If you want to pay $100 to carry your toilet paper go for it..

There's $40 racks that can carry 60 lbs.. Just sayin. Paying the premium of form over function should only goes so far.

5kg = 11 lbs... That's 12-pack of beer right there and I wouldn't feel comfortable with even that on that rack support.

But, eh.. It ain't my money your spending and we all tend to spend a ridiculous amount of money on things we shouldn't in this hobby.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I guess it's just hard to see one in person with out buying one and committing to it if it doesn't work. I just wanted a slim and lightweight rack for my only bike. Price wasn't really something I was asking for experience with in this particular situation. I ordered a Viscacha bag from Relevate Designs. Figured it would be good for clothes for work as pressed attire is not necessary, and possible future bike packing excursions. It looks like it will fold down pretty small too when I don't need all that space.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't have direct personal experience with the Minimalist rack, but these images might be useful:

I'm guessing that the stock struts aren't long enough to reach the lower barrel mounts on the KM (just above the disc brake). Shouldn't be too hard to find longer struts though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Minimalist Rack for Surly Karate Monkey-img_0545-648x486.jpg  

Human Test Subject
    i've heard too many stories (aka 1 or more) of minimalist racks breaking. I dunno if it was from people carrying too much stuff or just the cheap aluminum salsa uses, but I think you made the right choice with a Revelate Designs bag.

But one warning, their stuff is so great it's addicting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The sharp angle between the racks and their support struts on both that Fargo and the Singular probably really weaken the setups. The rack would be a lot stronger if there were a way to set it up with a 60-90 degree angle.

I've also been considering a Minimalist Rack for my '11 KM, but had those same concerns about strength. It might be a great sleeping bag, small tent, and camping mattress carrier. (The cupped shape and strapping points would be great for carrying large-ish, low-density cylindrical items.) But I wouldn't want to load cases of canned food on there, or a great big Velo-Orange pumpkin either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Thanks. I'm not gonna lie; kinda considering the frame bag as it's got the Surly patch on it.

Human Test Subject
    get a gas tank for sure. jerry cans are nice too

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    I think the Salsa was being conservative with the 5 kilo weight limit to account for the wide variety of setups people could use it for. The strut angle and length will definitely affect load capabiliy. They did have a recall with it, but it was only for the extra brackets that were needed only to raise the height. The extra clamps were a poor/weak design, and it should definitely haul more with those not used. The recall simply removed them from the product, and there was no issues with the basic rack and struts. I've had no issues carrying a large dry bag on the front of mine.

I also really like the Viscacha bag, and use it for dirt commuting too. Holds 2-3 times more than my standard, large tangle bag, and easier to remove. A little harder to get into it, but with just two straps, it is not bad. Just a pain if you cram a bunch of different stuff in there, and the item you want is jammed toward the front. For touring, not much of an issue since, as I fill it with stuff I only need to get to at camp.

My only complaint has been that the straps can loosen up when riding rough singletrack. He fixed that though on the current version by adding locking buckles.

Jon Setup by jon_baler, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by renegade44 View Post
    I think the Salsa was being conservative with the 5 kilo weight limit to account for the wide variety of setups people could use it for. The strut angle and length will definitely affect load capabiliy. They did have a recall with it, but it was only for the extra brackets that were needed only to raise the height. The extra clamps were a poor/weak design, and it should definitely haul more with those not used. The recall simply removed them from the product, and there was no issues with the basic rack and struts. I've had no issues carrying a large dry bag on the front of mine.

I also really like the Viscacha bag, and use it for dirt commuting too. Holds 2-3 times more than my standard, large tangle bag, and easier to remove. A little harder to get into it, but with just two straps, it is not bad. Just a pain if you cram a bunch of different stuff in there, and the item you want is jammed toward the front. For touring, not much of an issue since, as I fill it with stuff I only need to get to at camp.

My only complaint has been that the straps can loosen up when riding rough singletrack. He fixed that though on the current version by adding locking buckles.

Jon Setup by jon_baler, on Flickr
    Dang. That looks good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rufio View Post
    Has anybody installed a Salsa minimalist rack as a rear rack on a KM. I have the updated version with disc only and I was looking for a slim light weight rear rack for my bike to bungee down some light weight stuff if I grab something like TP or paper towels on my way home from work. I also ride singletrack and city rides on this one as I only have one bike. Any thoughts or suggestions? Once installed I would most likely not take it off for any reason.
    I just installed a Nitto R-10 rack on the back of my Karate Monkey. It came with the 350mm struts needed to reach the braze-ons just above the brake mount. The strut angle is about 70 to 80 degrees, making for a strong triangle. (Some of the minimalist strut angles I've seen in pictures look too acute to be very strong, but that's more a function of the braze-on locations on those frames than of the Minimalist itself.) The R-10 has a built-in bracket that attaches to the seat post without needing a separate seat post collar. And the Nitto quality is evident in the welds and the finish; it's quite a pretty little rack.

Currently using it to support my Carradice Camper Longflap.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check