mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Saint hub/derailleur on 1x1?

Been thinking about putting some gears on the ol' 1x1. A friend of mine has one of the older Saint hubs with the bolt on trough axle. It got me to thinking, would this be a feasible option for turning the 1x1 into a 1x9? My thinking is that since the derailleur mounts directly to the axle instead of a hanger that it might be an option. Anyone that has played with the Saint hub/derailleur setup and has any insight would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is an expensive way to go. I bought a Saint derailer a few years ago thinking the same thing, but the hubs were way more expensive than I expected. I ended up using a DMR track end hanger. It worked, but was tricky to get all back together when fixing flats. If you have acces to a Saint hub, PM me about the derailer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I played around with this a while back when the saint derailleurs were being blown out for $13. I ended up using the 10mm thru-bolt hub and axle I already had on the bike, and the derailleur fit perfectly.

mini clyde
    One important detail about the M800 derailers (and the M600 Hones from the same era) is that they are specific to vertical or horizontal dropouts. The difference is the location of the lug that orients the derailer relative to the dropout.

Edit:
    Part number 5 on this diagram: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609155.pdf I've never seen this part sold by itself, but I have switched that part between derailers (I ran the BMX type on a 2006ish SC Chameleon for a while).

The point about any 10mm thru-axle hub working is a good one. The Saint hubs roll very well (cup/cone bearings), I think have 36-point engagement, but are not light weight.

The derailers work great and are as close to indestructible as I have ever seen. They also turn up on ebay fairly frequently, usually far below retail for anything new. I wouldn't be afraid of a used one, but new old stock ones are still out there. They come in both high- and low-normal, if you care about that. I haven't seen an aftermarket axle that would work with these, but would be interested to know if there are any, just out of curiosity.
    Last edited by eedavis; 03-09-2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: even mo betta info