mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S & S coupled Monkeys

Howdy, wondering if anybody on the board has any hacked monkeys with the s& s couplers? I know a few were done before the travel check came out. Interested as a possible "Do it all" bike. Bilenky is offering $395 retrofits..

Thx

jv

mtbr member
    i haven't done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. would probably make a really sweet "travel bike," with different tires and gearing you can do pretty much anything with it. Let us know how it turns out if you do it.

mtbr member
    29" tires won't fit in a airline regulation hardcase without completely deflating them, if that's of any concern to you. This is one of the reasons Surly cancelled the 700c Traveller's Check in lieu of the 26" Trucker Deluxe. Other than that very minor issue, I can't imagine there would be any problems with the conversion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky
    29" tires won't fit in a airline regulation hardcase without completely deflating them, if that's of any concern to you. This is one of the reasons Surly cancelled the 700c Traveller's Check in lieu of the 26" Trucker Deluxe. Other than that very minor issue, I can't imagine there would be any problems with the conversion.
    I own a Traveler's Check and tour with 700x40s. THe above is accurate, but I don't understand what the big deal is. I mean, you basically have to disassemble the bike to fit it into the case anyway--I don't see why deflating your tires would be a deal-breaker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi gang. I actually have an S & S coupled 29er. Thinking about an inexpensive 2nd option. You are right about having to completely deflate the tires, but I doubt that's a reason not to have a coupled 29er.

I know bilenky did a couple of hack jobs. Was hoping some of those people would see this thread and post.

Thx

jv

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jvossman
    Bilenky is offering $395 retrofits..
    Does that include painting it up after cutting/welding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    nope, touch up paint is $100 I think, a repaint is $300 but you can probably get the monkey powercoated locally for less.

thx
    jv

mtbr member
    http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/

The link shows a stolen S&S coupled Monkey