mtbr member
    Dec 2010

roadbike crankset on 1x1?

well sorry to ask this stupid question, but... does it fit 50t or even 52t chainring? just curious...

mtbr member
    I think it's likely to cause some problems for you for a couple reasons.

To get the wide tire clearance the 1x1 was, the chainstays end up being fairly wide. Road cranks, regardless of chainring size, may stroke the chainstays near the end of the crank. MTB cranks sit further out, so offer more clearance.

The 1x1 uses a 73mm BB, again to create more tire clearance. Some road cranks won't be compatible with 73mm BBs, particularly modern external BB cranks.

Lastly, road cranks (particularly doubles or compact doubles) use a narrower chainline, which pushes the already larger chainring in closer to the frame, increasing the likelihood of clearance problems. I think Sulry used to mention a 44-tooth clearance in their old description of the 1x1, but that reference seems to have been removed now.

If you are set on doing it, you are probably most likely to succeed with a square taper triple road crank, which would let you run a 73xlongish BB, possibly giving you enough clearance.

All that being said, I don't have a 1x1, so I have no real world experience with this situation. Hopefully someone here can chime in.

PRETENDURO
    My 1x1 (11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride”) is presently running a 44t chainring up front (with a 20t cog out back—pretend roadiebike for the time being) and there is no drivetrain interference. It could probably run a 48t or higher, there seems to be plenty of clearance. Just make sure your chainline lines up with the cog in back for long chain life (and as well, fewer incidents with the chain coming off).

OK, so the picture shows a 16t cog out back, but it’s the same clearance:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I count at least 6 fat bike wheels in that pic... are there more???

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    My 1x1 (11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride”) is presently running a 44t chainring up front (with a 20t cog out back—pretend roadiebike for the time being) and there is no drivetrain interference. It could probably run a 48t or higher, there seems to be plenty of clearance. Just make sure your chainline lines up with the cog in back for long chain life (and as well, fewer incidents with the chain coming off).

OK, so the picture shows a 16t cog out back, but it’s the same clearance:
    well what Bottom bracket you use and length? i already had stock old LX crank with 46t chainring, so ummm... yea maybe old MTB cranks is the answer

lpt1
    Max chainring size is depend on chainline. Use longer BB spindle to increase chainring limits. But maximum chainline in the rear (with White Industries freewheel on any wide-flanged hub) is 57.5mm due to conflict between freewheel body and dropout inner surface. It may be more, I think, with cassette-style freehub and a single sprocket on rightmost position.
    I have measured my 1x1 chainstays (2006 year, 20") and there all results:
    Surly 1x1 Chainline/Chainring compatibility question