• 12-13-2012
    prattcm
    Rear rack on Karate monkey?
    I was wondering if anyone has mounted one of the surly nice racks on their karate monkey. It looks like the mounts farther up on the stays would bring it forward and make heel clearance an issue. If you have done it I would really like to see some pictures.
  • 12-14-2012
    ito
    I had an Old Man Mountain Rack on my KM. With a pair of smaller Jandsport bags and 180mm cranks heel strike was an issue, but only barely. If I was lazy with my pedal stroke I could tag the rear bag, but that was it. With a full size pannier I imagine that the problem would be difficult to avoid.

I don't have any experience with the Nice Racks, but I imagine it would be about the same.
  • 12-15-2012
    keevohn
    No experience with the Nice Racks, but here's an Axiom Journey adjustable rack on my 22" Monkey:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8425/7...11e86bdd_b.jpg

I have 175mm cranks and size 14 shoes. No issues with heel strike using normal panniers. I selected this particular rack because a) it places the panniers further back and b) the adjustable struts allow you to mount the rack closer to the rear tire. Highly recommended!
  • 12-16-2012
    prattcm
    Awesome, thats exactly what I was hoping to find. I'm definitely going to look into getting one. Thanks
  • 12-23-2012
    jbinga1
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 747600

No Nice rack either, OMM rack with Ortlieb frnt panniers. The OMM rack mounts curve rearward, giving more clearance. This setup worked great but was a total pain when getting a rear flat with the long skewer attaching the rack to the frame.