mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear rack on a Karate Monkey ?

So, I know that Surly say not to, but I want to :-)

anyone out there fitted a rear rack whilst running discs ?

been looking at an Old Man Mountain design but it looks a bit clunky, anything else out there ?

Its for a chubby Km BTW

mtbr member
    I'm guessing that Surly is worried about the type of racks that mount the dropout eyelet. Those require a long spacer to fit over the disc brake, which pushes the load point outboard and which then stresses the eyelet (ie, a cantilever beam load) In my understanding, OMM racks mount to the axle, so you should probably be OK. No first hand experience, though.

mtbr member
    Kind of off topic, but that KM with what I assume is a Salsa Enabler fork looks great. How does it ride?

mtbr member
    How much weight you looking to carry?

Why not try something like the Topeak MTX BeamRack. It can carry 20lbs.

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    I use a JANND rack mounted to the dropout bosses on my Pugsley. I tried the seat stay mounts, but I didn't like how high and forward it placed the rack. I used a small Craftsman socket as a spacer to clear the brake caliper. I haven't loaded it up with a lot of weight yet so I can't speak of longevity on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll
    Kind of off topic, but that KM with what I assume is a Salsa Enabler fork looks great. How does it ride?
    I agree. I want to know more about the bike and the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nice ride man. The Old Man Mountain racks look like the way to go to me. Then again, i dont have any experience with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the replies chaps, OMM looking most likely I guess :-)

The KM has a 100mm space Pugsley fork up front, white inds hub on an unknown (to me) rim, apparently a unicycle rim, the wheel and tyre bought from a friend who tried a fat front end on his IF.

The rear is another white inds singlespeed hub built into a Halo 45mm wide rim, the tyre is a 26 inch x 3inch Dura Leopard, its heavy but fits into the back end of the KM just nicely, about 8mm space either side of the sidewalls and chainstays.

Build is a mix of old and new stuff that was lying around.

As for the ride !, well, I fell and cracked a few ribs last weekend so haven't actually ridden the thing yet so will let you know in a few weeks time.

Its been built mainly for coastal riding as we don't get a lot of predictable snow here in the UK, and of course can revert back to a standard 29er for my son to use when we are out riding normal trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and thanks for the suggestion of the Topeak, I actually use one on a different bike but am thinking about carrying bivvy equipment so might need a bit more load capability

mtbr member
    I actually contacted OMM about a rack for my KM not long ago. They recommended using their adapter to clear the disc caliper, and not to use a hub mount given the horizontal drop-outs. That was before I noticed the word of warning on Surly's site. I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything as I was really hoping to do disc and rack on this one. I have a spare SD7 I can swap it out to, but I do like running the rear disc.
    Like the OP, I'm wondering if there actually have been a significant amount of failures on this configuration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've used an OMM rack on my KM w/ disc brakes for the last 10 months. It's worked flawlessly on my daily commute (12+ miles) and a few actual mountain bike rides. I carry an Arkel trunk bag holding 10-15 pounds of stuff depending on the day. After approx 2000 miles I still love the setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

OMM Rack

I've been using an OMM Cold Springs rear rack on my KM for the last few months with no problems. Used it commuting as well as on several bike packing trips, really strong racks. Really the only option IMO, good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear rack on a Karate Monkey ?-bike-packing-005.jpg  

Dianetics Junior
    Have you looked at the Salsa Minimalist? It's a relatively new option. You would need a seat clamp attachment and would have to rig P clamps to attach to the seat stays but it would come in a lot cheaper (I got mine for $59)....might be a solution for you if you are not looking at too heavy a load. I have mine mounted on the front (it's good for either front/back) and bypassed the rack mounts with P clamps to the forks. They come with two straps as well. Might be worth checking out.

Devo
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Dynamitedread
    Nov 2009
    Here's my monkey in tour mode. I was using an Old man mountain sherpa on the front and a Topeak explorer disc rack on the rear
    . The rear rack had very little clearance from the rear tyre, maybe 1cm but never caused any problems even in the mud.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

so, for the time being I'll use my Topeak set up, there's enough clearance for the tyre and it works well, thanks for all the replies folks :-)

Never enough time to ride

Not elegant but effective.

Just got these earlier today and got them popped on and the rack mounted. They're not real pretty but they do work, and let me get my rack mounted. They're made by Jandd and run right around $8.00 you can also have custom sizes made if you need something special.

happy trails...

squish
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear rack on a Karate Monkey ?-newstuff-010.jpg  

Rear rack on a Karate Monkey ?-newstuff-011.jpg  

Rear rack on a Karate Monkey ?-newstuff-014.jpg  

Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I always wanted to try the OMM. I wonder the best seller for getting them to Australia. Any tips? Also anybody tried connecting them to newer Pugsley with no v-brake bosses?
    Good day for it