mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Rear Brake mount on a KM

One of the major reasons that I have not purchased a KM over the last 5 or 6 years has been the difficulty (fidling) that it takes to remove the rear wheel with a disc brake.

Looking at the Surly website, they mention that the rear brake mount has been redesigned to make rear wheel removal easier. I'm looking for some feedback on this. Does it work better? What model year did they first introduce the re-design?

Also, I've read somewhere on here that the new KMs are spec'd with a re-branded Salsa Cromoto fork. Is this true? What year did they start with that?
    Enjoy the ride!

I do what I want
    I will have a funny story about this in the coming week or so, but let me just say this, it seems to work great with a 160mm rotor, 185 and up on the new 2012 KM, well....stay tuned.
    Last edited by Guy.Ford; 01-27-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    the issue with the rear brake disc on the older frames could be overcome with some wavy rotors or something along those lines... I personally just ran mullet (V out back and disc up front)... it worked well for me and removed the issue of removing the rear with disc...

new frame that doesn't work... I honestly would prefer to run mullet on most bikes but thats seeming less and less of an option on newer frames... guess i'm becoming a techno grouch lol

that being said the new KM frame is on my short list when income tax comes in... I had an '04ish model and loved it till I had to sell... and it would sit nicely next to my 1x1
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    i have a 2011 KM, purchased just a month ago before the 2012 ones came out. I have zero problems with removing the rear wheel with a 160mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I also read the comment on Surly's web site about the rear brake mount redesign for easier rear wheel removal as well as a comment about a new, more supple fork. This was back in September. I called Surly's "Intergalactic Headquarters" to ask if these comments applied to the 2011 or 2012 frameset, as this was not noted on their web site. The answer was 2012. At the time the 2012 frameset was not yet available so I waited until December to purchase one.

My 2012 Karate Monkey Build - rigid, SS

There is no issue installing or removing my rear wheel. I'm using an Avid BB7 brake with 160mm rotor on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbien View Post
    I also read the comment on Surly's web site about the rear brake mount redesign for easier rear wheel removal as well as a comment about a new, more supple fork. This was back in September. I called Surly's "Intergalactic Headquarters" to ask if these comments applied to the 2011 or 2012 frameset, as this was not noted on their web site. The answer was 2012. At the time the 2012 frameset was not yet available so I waited until December to purchase one.

My 2012 Karate Monkey Build - rigid, SS

There is no issue installing or removing my rear wheel. I'm using an Avid BB7 brake with 160mm rotor on the rear.
    Great information - pretty much just what I was looking for. Nice build too! Thanks.
    Enjoy the ride!

I do what I want
    Now that Ive finally been able to mount my 180 BB7, I can also confirm the wheel will remove fine without having to loosen or move the caliper.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm still refining my setup and wonder how people decide on the rear caliper position and adjustment. I'm running 34x21 which puts the axle towards the front of the dropouts but allows enough slack for wheel removal.

Right now I have the caliper as far forward as it will go as well, I tried a couple of positions and further back allowed the top of the rotor to touch the caliper itself. Do you move the caliper back as the wheel moves back for re-tensioning or do you just leave it forward?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think it depends a lot on your brake, rotor size and brand of adaptor. Some setups may place the caliper top parallel to the the dropout, meaning the brake gets full contact no matter where in the dropout it sits. Sounds like yours dosnt, so you will have to adjust as you move the wheel.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Aha, thank you, it is a BB7 and standard rotor by the way

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
    Also, I've read somewhere on here that the new KMs are spec'd with a re-branded Salsa Cromoto fork. Is this true? What year did they start with that?
    The 2012 KM fork has different dropouts than the Cro-Moto Grande. I would assume that they are not the same fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasbien View Post
    I also read the comment on Surly's web site about the rear brake mount redesign for easier rear wheel removal as well as a comment about a new, more supple fork. This was back in September. I called Surly's "Intergalactic Headquarters" to ask if these comments applied to the 2011 or 2012 frameset, as this was not noted on their web site. The answer was 2012...
    A quote from the KM description in the Surly 2011 catalog: "This year we’ve redesigned the rear-disc caliper mount to make removing and installing the rear wheel easier than before."

My 2011 KM has the redesigned caliper mount and wheel removal doesn't require any fiddling. Frame changes at Surly do sometimes happen mid-year, for example, my KM does not have the barrel mounts just above caliper level on the seat stays, but later 2011's do. And the early Ogre's don't have bottle cage mounts on the forks, but the latest ones do.