Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

Re-Powder coating a Surly

I'm contemplating re-powder coating my Krampus as it is a bit beat up and I see so many Green Krampii's that I am thinking I may go to a different color? I work at a place that does powder coating but we do high temp powder coating using ovens that are up at 385-400 degrees. My concern is losing the temper in the chromoly steel if that is even a concern? I can get a low temp powder but it is not as durable? Anybody know of any issues w/the higher temps affecting the temper of the frame? Thanks!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    I'm not an expert but I can't imagine those kinds of temperatures will effect cro-moly steel in any way.

mtbr member
    I've no clue of the effects on the frame but the people who perform the coating you work with should have the answer, if not then seek an outside source for specific info.

mtbr member
    Heat treating and annealing processes for 4130 happen at temperatures ranging between 900 and 1700 degrees F. Tempering it happens between 750 and 1000 degrees so it's unlikely that a powder coat oven is going to harm the frame or even change its characteristics.

I've got my Redline cruiser frame and fork at the powder coater right now and those are a mix of CrMo and high-tensile steel. No fear.
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line old-school cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    Heat treating and annealing processes for 4130 happen at temperatures ranging between 900 and 1700 degrees F. Tempering it happens between 750 and 1000 degrees so it's unlikely that a powder coat oven is going to harm the frame or even change its characteristics.

I've got my Redline cruiser frame and fork at the powder coater right now and those are a mix of CrMo and high-tensile steel. No fear.
    Thanks!
    That is some good info to know
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Have you chosen a color?

I may buy an Ogre in the future and I'm actually debating having it powder coated before even building it up. Right now, I'm leaning toward something like the ECR brown.*

I definitely want something drab, utilitarian and somewhat "Army" looking. Might even go with a shade of green.

*The reason I don't just buy an ECR is that I have an excellent set of custom built wheels that are not disc compatible. I can't afford a new frame AND new wheels.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Thanks guys,
    I'm looking at a powder we stock in a color called "Ultrasonic Chrome" that looks like a lighter gray w/silver metal flake in it but it is real subdued. I may go visit the powder room and see what else we have? I would love an OD Green but I do not think we have that?
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtnBkr View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I'm looking at a powder we stock in a color called "Ultrasonic Chrome" that looks like a lighter gray w/silver metal flake in it but it is real subdued. I may go visit the powder room and see what else we have? I would love an OD Green but I do not think we have that?
    Raleigh used that on one of their cross bikes a few years ago. They even used Chicom yellow stars on it. Kind of a crazy look.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryknow View Post
    I'm not an expert but I can't imagine those kinds of temperatures will effect cro-moly steel in any way.
    Same here, I've done this to a few bikes, Surly and whatnot and never had a frame fail due to powder coating. Do it, it makes the bike so personal to you. Here's my 1X1
    Re-Powder coating a Surly-1422430831.jpg
    On-one 456 "Cocoa"
    Surly 1X1 "Ginger"

mtbr member
    I used to powder coat zinc, steel and anything in between. sometimes the ovens are as hot as 1050 but the parts are moving through the ovens and never get anywhere near that temp. those temps are only used when you want to bake on the powder in 2-3 minutes onto a softer metal like zinc.

bike frames don't "go through" an oven like that, they get put in a big oven at much lower temps for a longer period of time. either way the material getting powder coated will not be negatively affected by the process.
    Hardtail 29er
    Fat Lefty
    Rigid SS 29er