Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Racks on the new KM

I'm considering a KM as a do everything bike but since it will be doing most of it's work as a daily commuter it needs to be shroud with a rack and fenders. But I'd like to see how everything fits before I drop the cash. Anybody got pictures of one of the newer KMs fitted with a rack and/or fenders? Thanks.

mtbr member

Get an Ogre.

The obvious choice for a commuter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racks on the new KM-img_1824.jpg  

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I can't find a photo at the moment, but I have a Transit TD-1 rack that I have used on my 2011 KM frameset. I'd definitely use some sort of disc brake specific rack so you don't have clearance issues. Never mounted full fenders on mine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The new (since 2011) Karate Monkey's have barrel mounts on the seat stays, above the disc brake. This allows you to use a standard rack without interfering with the brake.

I have an Axiom Journey Adjustable rack that works very well. It places the panniers far enough back that your feet won't hit. No problems with the rack after a 4 day, 350 mile bike trip last summer.

I currently have Planet Bike Cascadia 29er fenders on the bike, but not the rack. I'll mount it up tonight and take a picture to give you an idea of how everything fits.

In the meantime, here's a picture of the bike fully loaded. That's a Salsa Fargo fork with Anything Cages, FYI.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Matt, while the Ogre has some things I like and makes it sense on paper I also have some issues with it. Mostly with just how dead the frame and fork feel in comparison to a KM. I also havn't installed anything on an Ogre that didn't need spacing, grinding, cutting, bending, ECT (I work at a shop that sells them), not even Surly racks, and I have no interest in paying more for those issues. Although the Ogre would be high on the list as a dedicated touring or BPing bike, or if I was selling my truck so I could pull a Bill around. That would be awesome actually.

Keevohn, first of all my I say you have one dead sexy bike there. I'm mostly interested in how the fenders and rack get along but also fear the rack sitting WAY above the rear wheel as I use a trunk bag for commuting so if you could get some snaps of those two areas that would rock. I was also considering the Fargo fork, I have one on my BPing rig and love it, but was worried about the effect it would have on geo. Thoughts? I guess I really wouldn't need all the extra holes but the inner lowriders would make mounting a fender that much easier, and the water hauing ability would be good on a tour.

mtbr member

Racks on the new KM

Big papa, tried a 26"-specific rack yet? Should be closer to top of Ogre/KM rear wheel. Lower centre-of-gravity ftw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here are the pics of the KM with rack and fenders. A few things to note:

- The Journey Adjustable rack is in its lowest setting and still sits a good 3" off the tire. Drilling and tapping another hole in the struts should lower the rack another 1" to 2", but I haven't gotten around to it.

- As previously mentioned, there's plenty of clearance for my size 14 shoes and panniers with this rack. Other racks place the bags further forward, which would cause heel strike issues.

- I used individual stays for the Cascadia fenders instead of the supplied v-stays. This allowed me to cleanly route the stays around the disc brake and provide a little more stability.

- To the best of my knowledge, the geometry of the Fargo fork and the stock KM fork are the same. I've only used the Fargo fork since I bought the frame... wanna buy a new KM fork???

Love this bike. In the year or so that I've had it, it's seen at least a half dozen different setups. All work equally well.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    That rack actually isn't that bad. I may have to do some experimenting but I don't think it'll be that big of an issue. How high, vertically, are the braze-ons from the axle?

I also like what you did with the fenders. Any pictures of the front disc side though?

It turns out that, according to QBP, that the only difference between the KM fork and the Fargo is rake, weight and steerer tube length. I'm shooting to get the new Blue KM and think the matching fork will look sweet, and if I get a Cane Creek headset I can swap over the Fargo fork from my BP rig as needed.

Now I just have to figure out how to run the wiring

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post

- I used individual stays for the Cascadia fenders instead of the supplied v-stays. This allowed me to cleanly route the stays around the disc brake and provide a little more stability.
    keevohn, it looks awesome! Can you please elaborate on the individual stays? Did you make (bend) them yourself? Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    ...How high, vertically, are the braze-ons from the axle?

I also like what you did with the fenders. Any pictures of the front disc side though?

...I'm shooting to get the new Blue KM and think the matching fork will look sweet...
    The chainstay barrel mounts are 4" vertically from the axle, or 4.5" measured along the length of the chainstay.

The lower stay on the front disc side has a small dogleg bend to get it under the disc caliper. Nothing special, but it was the only way I could clear the caliper without some ridiculous spacer.

I'm super jealous about the blue KM! A very handsome bike, and I would have ordered it if it was available. Sometimes Surly really nails a color (and sometimes they really whiff...)

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sea monster View Post
    keevohn, it looks awesome! Can you please elaborate on the individual stays? Did you make (bend) them yourself? Thanks
    Sure thing. The Cascadia 29er fenders ship with 375mm long V-stays. I had a bunch of 345mm single stays laying around from other fenders that I've owned over the years. If you don't have some, they can be ordered for cheap directly from Planet Bike.

You'll need 375mm long lower stays on both the front and rear. I cut one leg off the stock V-stays, leaving a loop at the end for mounting to the frame. The upper stays are cut-down 345mm long single stays, bent as necessary to reach the mounts. The bends were all done by hand, which was pretty easy since the stays aren't that thick.

From there it was just a matter of picking the mounting points. For the rear, I used the eyelets on the dropouts for the lower stays, and the chainstay barrel mounts for the upper says. For the front, I used the eyelets on the dropouts for the lower stays (bending the disc-side a bit to clear the caliper), and the mid-fork lowrider mounts for the upper stays. The upper stays were mounted on the inside of the fork, which allows me to mount the Salsa Anything cages in the future.

I think it turned out pretty well. The Cascadia 29er fenders are nice for commuting and smooth trails, but they vibrate too much to use on anything rough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Good job!

I am inspired. Thanks, keevohn

mtbr member
    Keevohn, beautiful bike!

Is it a 20 or a 22??

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Keevohn, beautiful bike!

Is it a 20 or a 22??
    Hey thanks! It's a 22". I'm 6'-5" and ride 62cm road bikes, FYI.

I'm happy with the fit. If you can believe it, I was on an XL Cannondale SS 29er before this. Shorter top tube and head tube, which forced me to run a 135mm stem! Fun bike, but too small.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Racks on the new KM-img_0668.jpg
    I just put a Salsa Alternator rack on mine yesterday. It fit surprisingly well. Still need to trim the struts down and level it out, but you get the point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I vote for the RACKTIME, the cheaper version of Tubus. They're aluminum, but beefy and made extremely well.

dying hurts.
    Matt, while the Ogre has some things I like and makes it sense on paper I also have some issues with it. Mostly with just how dead the frame and fork feel in comparison to a KM. I also havn't installed anything on an Ogre that didn't need spacing, grinding, cutting, bending, ECT (I work at a shop that sells them), not even Surly racks, and I have no interest in paying more for those issues. Although the Ogre would be high on the list as a dedicated touring or BPing bike, or if I was selling my truck so I could pull a Bill around. That would be awesome actually.

Keevohn, first of all my I say you have one dead sexy bike there. I'm mostly interested in how the fenders and rack get along but also fear the rack sitting WAY above the rear wheel as I use a trunk bag for commuting so if you could get some snaps of those two areas that would rock. I was also considering the Fargo fork, I have one on my BPing rig and love it, but was worried about the effect it would have on geo. Thoughts? I guess I really wouldn't need all the extra holes but the inner lowriders would make mounting a fender that much easier, and the water hauing ability would be good on a tour.
    i've mounted a surly nice rear rack, a front sunlite rack, rhynolites w/ 2.35 big apples, anything cages and test mounted fenders (while running discs) all with NO modifications or cutting necessary. the ogre was made to fit everything all at once.
    meanwhile, on a karate monkey, if you wanted to run the same setup, you'd have to use hose clamps for the cages or swap forks, and end up cutting, drilling or compromising the get the ideal setup i'd imagine.
    as far as the "dead" feeling steel....i don't get that at all. my guess is, if surly told you they used the exact same tubing on both bikes, you wouldn't notice a difference....

mtbr member
    Like Big Papa mentioned previously, I think there is some thruth in the fact that the ogre has many mounting points, but that doesn't necessarily translate to easy universal mounting for racks and other accessories... see thread about front rack on the ogre...
    Last edited by zoro; 02-24-2013 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey Keevohn, your KM looks great. I'm curious, what size frame is that, XL? Also, do you know what your saddle height is? Love the versatility of Surlys.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny the boy View Post
    as far as the "dead" feeling steel....i don't get that at all. my guess is, if surly told you they used the exact same tubing on both bikes, you wouldn't notice a difference....
    The "dead" comment makes no sense to me either. Pretty sure the frames use identical tubing. Only difference is the fork, a difference which can be accounted for with probably 1 less PSI in the front tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    Hey Keevohn, your KM looks great. I'm curious, what size frame is that, XL? Also, do you know what your saddle height is? Love the versatility of Surlys.
    Keevohn's response to the exact same question I asked a couple of weeks ago in this thread:

"It's a 22". I'm 6'-5" and ride 62cm road bikes, FYI.

I'm happy with the fit. If you can believe it, I was on an XL Cannondale SS 29er before this. Shorter top tube and head tube, which forced me to run a 135mm stem! Fun bike, but too small."
    Last edited by zoro; 02-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I havn't installed anything on an Ogre that didn't need spacing, grinding, cutting, bending, ECT (I work at a shop that sells them), not even Surly racks, and I have no interest in paying more for those issues.
    +1 here too
    Last edited by Trilancing; 02-26-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    The "dead" comment makes no sense to me either. Pretty sure the frames use identical tubing. Only difference is the fork, a difference which can be accounted for with probably 1 less PSI in the front tire.
    Maybe it's the fork then (I have yet to ride a Ogre with anything but the stock fork), or maybe all the little differances add up to something noticable. I don't know, the KM just feels better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I don't know, the KM just feels better.
    I reckon thats the perfect reason for buying a particular bike. "Feel" is how much your likely your going to enjoy and actually ride the bike. I think this runs true for any style of bike. I remember a friend berating me over my choice of heavy Haro Extreme Competition years ago and talking me into a very light Peugeot mountainbike with Reynolds 351 Magnum tubing. On paper the Peugeot was twice the bike but it never gave the XXXX eating grin that the Haro did. To make it worse the Peugeot is now long gone but when ever I visit my sister in NZ, I still sometimes see the Haro whose owner is the still the same guy I sold it too who wouldnt ride anything else.
    The Haro was the same XT level model as this:

pic curtisy of: BoTM Nov 2009 – Poll now up | Retrobike ... mpetition/
    Last edited by rifraf; 03-01-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: alliteration.