get down!

Rack'em! show me your Surly's rack? X____x

Just put this on today...still working on the angles and getting it "dialed in". I really just wanted to get this little one to tote 6 packs and hold my lock..well today the lock slid out of the strap and almost into my wheel..freaked me out, but luckily all was well. I suppose the Salsa straps are meant more for tents/sleeping bags/bigger things. I have some bungies I'll be using from now on, but am looking for advice on a net sort of thing to go over a sixer...or other items.

Oh, and I ordered a big rack too. The Salsa wanderlust and am hoping my Coleman cooler will fit on it More pics to come when I get that in and installed.

Oh, show me your racks!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Not the best picture, but Axiom Journey on the rear and the Sunlite/Nashbar one on the front. Pretty nice setup.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member

racked LHT

Here's my LHT with front and rear Surly racks. I posted this picture in the LHT thread but I'll post it here too. Can't wait to get out for some bike camping overnights this year. Also planning some kind of 8 to 9 day tour for Aug.

While I have front and rear racks I doubt I really need them. The front was purchased impulsively in anticipation of being used on a tour a few years ago. But by the time the tour came around ended up just using only the rear rack. I tend to pack light and be pretty minimal in terms of crap I bring along.

To tell you the truth, I'm kind of thinking of using the Salsa Down-low racks with Ortlieb Front Roller Pluses and a Carradice Barley bag for this summer's tour. Although I wouldn't have any type of platform for strapping stuff to, one of the nice features about the Surly racks.

You might ask, why go with an LHT if you're packing light? The bike I previously toured on was just a bit noodlily, even with an overnight load. Why not use the CC I've been commuting on for years? I like that the LHT is stout, has great tire/fender clearance, has a low BB, and longer headtube. And someday I'll go on a camping trip "fully loaded", that is, front and rear panniers.

Below are photos of my new LHT and a picture of my CC from a trip around Mt Hood 4yrs ago. It was my first bike camping trip. The load was pretty minimal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rack'em! show me your Surly's rack? X____x-lhtwracks-19-32-31.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    LHT = beast of burden:

I use front panniers for larger grocery loads; can carry a crate of apples in there, and less compressible produce etc... in the rear panniers.

XC = (relatively) lightweight commuter

That's a tubus fly I took off a bike that lacked seat stay rack braze-ons. Love the rack. The bike handles really poorly as a SS/FG if I push that rack's capacity so I really don't need a stouter one.

I use 32mm slicks for this one in the summer but I am wondering about skinnying out to 28s

mtbr member

OMM racks....cause that's how my Surlys roll...

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Hey AppleSSeed, you definitely need to make some adjustments to how you have that front rack set up. You want to get it back towards the HT as far as you can. You'll probably have to trim the struts. Seems like the set-up is similar to the Nitto Mark's Rack that Rivendell sells. That's what is on my CC in the photo and it was definitely set-up wrong.

When I was commuting on my CC with that rack on it I would strap my u-lock onto it using two toe clip straps, never had any problems with it sliding.

I recently saw the Wanderlust rack and really liked it. There's some really nice premium rear rack options between OMM, Nitto, Surly, Salsa and Tubus.

Here's some info on how to install the Nitto Mark's rack that might be useful for installing the Salsa Minimalist rack. You're probably aware of all this but just figured I'd post it.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...k-nitto/20-108

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRcMcCi0bA
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have the Nitto Big Back Rack from Rivendell on my LHT and so far I love it

Pic from their website:

get down!
    @dfltroll, the rack is set up as far back as possible with that strut. All of the struts have the same length "slot", just different angles. I also tried the direct to the crown method, but as you can see it would hit the front tire. I can't really see what I would change much about the install, besides making sure it is completely level to the ground (driving my OCD crazy).

get down!
    I might post up in the Salsa forum to see what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    @dfltroll, the rack is set up as far back as possible with that strut. All of the struts have the same length "slot", just different angles. I also tried the direct to the crown method, but as you can see it would hit the front tire. I can't really see what I would change much about the install, besides making sure it is completely level to the ground (driving my OCD crazy).
    Bummer the Wanderlust rack didn't work with your CC. It looks super solid. I haven't seen the Minimalist rack up close so I wasn't sure how it worked. I gotta say, while they are pricey, the various mini front rack models from Nitto really seem like the best choice for the CC. Especially this one:

http://www.renehersestore.com/servle...nt-Rack/Detail

It looks like it would set-up easily on the CC but as I know from experience there can sometimes be unforseen problems.

Good luck. Post pictures once your set-up is finalized.

mtbr member
    Apple, did you try running the mount to the fork hole metal bit under the crown and attaching it to the backside of the crown? You'd likely have to bend it to fit, but that might be the way to get it closer to the fork without lowering it closer to the tire. Could make it more stable...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad
    Apple, did you try running the mount to the fork hole metal bit under the crown and attaching it to the backside of the crown? You'd likely have to bend it to fit, but that might be the way to get it closer to the fork without lowering it closer to the tire. Could make it more stable...
    That might be worth trying out. It just looks like the rack platform is too far out front. With even a little weight on front it seems like it would make the bike handle poorly.

mtbr member
    Hey ApppleSSeed, totally off topic but how are you liking the Open Bar?

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll
    Hey ApppleSSeed, totally off topic but how are you liking the Open Bar?
    Loving the bars! They are the perfect fit for what I want this bike to be. I like that I can just run grips vs. bar tape too.

Rack update, I'm just gonna run it in the rear when I can get a salsa rack lock seat collar. I dunno what I will do about the Surly canti cable stop thing, if I do that though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

also looking for front beer rack for monkey

also looking for front beer rack for monkey--any ideas?

Thxs

jv

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Beer hauler

mtbr member
    1x1 could not be put to better use than hauling lots of beer, awesome ride!

surly nice rack camping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rack'em! show me your Surly's rack? X____x-2011-05-06-20.06.25.jpg