mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Quick question for surly lht owners, rear hub size??

so i just got a new LHT frameset to change all my cross check gear over to. so the cross check is 132.5mm rear spacing, the LHT is 135, i have a sweet set of velocity rims on shimano 105 hubs, 130mm spacing.
    now they fit, but they obviously pull the frame in a bit.
    is this normal? what do most folks do? apart from the obvious of getting a set of mtb hubs mounted to 700c rims.
    i love my wheels and dont' really want to replace them.
    i tried to put a spacer on the hub but the axle is too short and i'm concerned about not having enough meat in the dropout

thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well initially you should be fine, as you say the dropouts just get pulled in a bit, not the end of the world on a tough steel frame. I did this for a few years until the hub wore out and then swapped it for a 135mm hub, frame was still 'set' at 135mm and hadnt been pulled in permanently.

If you want to do it properly your in luck as you have a shimano hub, you could easily change the axle for a longer version off an MTB hub (fairly common spare part). NOTE; if you did this your QR would need to be swapped out for a MTB one (5mm longer obviously) and you'd need to dish your rim across 2.5mm, again dead easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hi there
    thanks for the reassurance, i think short term i'll run it as is, ie squished. i do intend to hang onto this bike so i will probably source a new deore rear hub to replace it with, they can be had cheap and i'm hoping spoke length will be the same so shouldn't be too costly for the LBS to change over.

cheers
    Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah thats what i did, tho i went for a shimano nexave silent clutch rear hub. Same spoke lengths and lovely and quiet when freewheeling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can't you just put spacers in somewhere? Non-drive side, or behind cassette? Depending on the hub it might not be too difficult to swap axles, if you need to.

mtbr member
    Putting in a new axle is a good option, and cheaper than a new wheel / wheelbuild.

If you put in a MTB axle, and 2.5mm spacers on each side of the hub, you don't even need to dish the wheel. The hub will still be centred, so the chainline won't change from whatever you have now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SSSasky View Post
    Putting in a new axle is a good option, and cheaper than a new wheel / wheelbuild.

If you put in a MTB axle, and 2.5mm spacers on each side of the hub, you don't even need to dish the wheel. The hub will still be centred, so the chainline won't change from whatever you have now.
    While that is possible it would be better to dish the wheel if you can. 2.5mm while small could cause shifting issues with some mechs (they would have to reach 2.5mm further) and it could leave a space for the chain to get jammed between the smallest sprocket and dropout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    thanks for the info guys, i've built it up with the 130 hub in it and it rides fine, first ride to work today (25km) with no issues.
    i did order a new deore hub so when it gets i'll strip the wheel, lace it then take it to my local to work their magic on it.

love the new bike though, news a few fit "tweaks" but otherwise very nice