mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Quick Pugsley SS rear hub question.

Does the stock, complete Pugsley SS have a rear hub that is specific to single-speed or is it a cassette interface with a spacer kit? I read Surly's specs but don't know enough about hubs to decipher an answer and haven't seen any good close-up photos of a Pugsley SS.

I would love to get the Pugsley SS but wouldn't want to have to buy a complete rear wheel to add gears, if I decided to go that route.

mtbr member

It has a standard shimano deore hub with cassette interface and spacer kit. Just pick up mine yesterday 😉
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    It has a standard shimano deore hub with cassette interface and spacer kit. Just pick up mine yesterday 
    NICE!!!

Thanks and let us know how you like it. I want one with the 3.8" near slicks that Surly sells. It would be a neighborhood bomber!

Also, how long was the steerer tube on yours?

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone thinks Surly cut corners by using the same wheels for SS models: an offset wheel as found on Pugslies and Moonlanders has better tension distribution of the spokes when built with a cassette hub, even if it's made into a SS wheel.

In other words it wouldn't make sense to use an SS hub to build an offset wheel.

mtbr member

Mine is a medium size and the steer tube length is 8 1/8" or 205mm.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    Just in case anyone thinks Surly cut corners by using the same wheels for SS models: an offset wheel as found on Pugslies and Moonlanders has better tension distribution of the spokes when built with a cassette hub, even if it's made into a SS wheel.

In other words it wouldn't make sense to use an SS hub to build an offset wheel.
    Anyone build the rear with an Alfine hub? What is the spoke length with a Marge Lite rim?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    NICE!!!

Thanks and let us know how you like it. I want one with the 3.8" near slicks that Surly sells. It would be a neighborhood bomber!

Also, how long was the steerer tube on yours?
    Surlys traditionally come with uncut steerer tubes. If you want your long just tell your shop not to cut it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    Surlys traditionally come with uncut steerer tubes. If you want your long just tell your shop not to cut it.
    I've heard mixed reports on whether the complete bikes come with uncut steerer tubes. All of them I've seen in bike shops were cut. Good to know the completes also come full-length as I like my bar high.

Does anyone know if the Karate Monkey comes with a cassette hub and spacer kit?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Shops will generally just cut the fork based on the spacers that come with the bike. If someone custom orders a surly I will leave the fork uncut and let them choose where to cut it.

The ss KM comes with a single speed freewheel hub, you'd need a new hub/wheel to run gears. The ops, obviously, comes with a hub that will accept gears.

mtbr member
    If someone custom orders a surly I will leave the fork uncut and let them choose where to cut it.
    Good point! will keep that in mind next time.
    I should have inform the shop when I order not to cut the steer tube so they can advice Surly or the shop mechanic not to do so...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not sure why bike shops have this obsession to cut steers. I took an old bike in to have the LBS convert from a threaded to a threadless fork and it literally took two phone calls and a personal visit to convince them not to cut the damn steerer tube.

Too bad about the KM. That simple fact would preclude me from buying one of them. I would have seriously considered the KM, otherwise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Not sure why bike shops have this obsession to cut steers. I took an old bike in to have the LBS convert from a threaded to a threadless fork and it literally took two phone calls and a personal visit to convince them not to cut the damn steerer tube.

Too bad about the KM. That simple fact would preclude me from buying one of them. I would have seriously considered the KM, otherwise.
    the karate monkey is a really really good single speed platform...its also insanely sweet with gears but its so much fun as a single speed...

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    As far as I know the ss KM and the "old", non-ops, frame will be no more once sold out. Gears and suspension fork only this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    As far as I know the ss KM and the "old", non-ops, frame will be no more once sold out. Gears and suspension fork only this year.
    I hadn't heard that.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying an Ogre frameset and using my existing components to make it a single-speed and then in the future maybe having a Rohloff installed. I've got a good set of custom wheels but they are not disc compatible so I'm stuck with V-brakes for the foreseeable future. A complete KM would have worked if the rear hub was cassette compatible because there will likely be a derailleur transition period between SS and Rohloff.

Pugsley SS still intrigues me but it very well may be too much bike for my purposes. I'm unlikely to ever get a chance to try one out to the extent that I can make that determination so i'll probably go with the Ogre (or Troll if I decide on 26" wheels).

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    makes me really glad i got one then,it deserves any "legendary" status it may have
    I hadn't heard that.

Right now I'm leaning toward buying an Ogre frameset and using my existing components to make it a single-speed and then in the future maybe having a Rohloff installed. I've got a good set of custom wheels but they are not disc compatible so I'm stuck with V-brakes for the foreseeable future. A complete KM would have worked if the rear hub was cassette compatible because there will likely be a derailleur transition period between SS and Rohloff.

Pugsley SS still intrigues me but it very well may be too much bike for my purposes. I'm unlikely to ever get a chance to try one out to the extent that I can make that determination so i'll probably go with the Ogre (or Troll if I decide on 26" wheels).
    owning both an ogre and a karate monkey i can tell you an ogre is not a monkey so if dirt is your main diet,get the monkey...dont get me wrong,the ogre is a fine machine for off road adventure but in my opinion just not as much of a trail slayer...

also owning a moonlander i can tell you that the simple addition of a surly single speed kit made for some serious fat bike single speed fun,running something crazy low like a 22/22 allowed for some serious fat rock crawling...although i admit it is a chore single speeding a moony its still a blast...