mtbr member

question before i order a new karate monkey

i am looking to get a karate monkey and decided i wanted to get a complete bike the specs on their website shows it in safety scissors blue and that it has black wheels/spokes/and hubs and also comes with the maxis ardent 29x2.4.

when i went to order the bike my local shop said it is light sky blue and has silver spokes and some wtb tires.
    i know it sounds petty but i really would prefer the blacked out wheels and bigger maxxis tires so i did not order it yet. are the specs listed on the surly webpage for an updated model that might not be out yet i want to be sure i get the right stuff i would hate to order it and then not buy it. has anyone ordered a complete karate monkey lately and if so did it come equipped as stated on surly's webpage.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Lite Sky Blue is the 2013, Safety Scissors Blue is 2014. QBP currently only has the 13s listed. Also note that the 2014 Surly catalog lists rims with machined sidewalls (silver sidewalls), and doesn't note the color of the spokes. They also mention that specs are subject to change and they suggest you "cope".

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Why dont you ask your local dealer to order just a KM frameset and build an individual KM for you with the parts you want?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Normal bike industry practice.

We spec a bike, order so many in each size. This batch sells out faster than expected and the bike company has to bring forward a second batch as quickly as possible.
    To do so some minor spec changes may have to happen to meet the new required short order deadline for shipping.
    In most case's some minor parts may go from black to silver, or a tyre change, in other case's you might even get a slight upgrade on a part.

I would ask if the shop intended to get one in anyway, express an interest, see what turns up. The shop may also do a deal on swapping out tyres and some other bits to suit you.

Just about everyone i now who buys an off the peg bike......first duty is bin the tyres/saddle/grips and maybe change bars and stem for better fit or if they have better parts kicking around the garage/shed/mancave allready

mtbr member
    Big_papa_nuts, Thanks for the reply and the info on the 2014 specs. I found the new catalog online looks like some great stuff coming out.

Derbergschreck, I definitely have not ruled out building one up myself but I need to do some more research on parts and prices.

Ace, thanks for the insight it makes sense, and I will order it either way I mean it is a sweet bike I like blacked out wheels so when I saw that it just made it a little sweeter in my mind . it's not a deal breaker I'll just ride it until something breaks or I get upgradeitis and go from there. Or as bpn pointed out and as surly says I'll "cope"
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Yeah, it is hard when the pics don't match the specs and you wonder just what you're gonna get.

Earlier this spring, I bought a Salsa Colossal roadie. The specs sheet on the Salsa site said one thing, pics above said specs showed another, and "image" related searches via Google yet showed a third option!
    When my bike showed up it was closest to the specs sheet than the other 2(thankfully.....I wasn't as fond of the other 2 options but easily changeable if they came on the bike I bought).

Usually things match specs, pics, and searches for RL pics of what other people got stock. Sometimes they don't.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Stock wheels are tankers anyway. See if your LBS will give you partial credit back and get a set of Stans wheelset from them.

mtbr member
    alright sold my stumpjumper and ordered my karate monkey should be here wed or thurs..
    i went ahead and got the complete so i could hit the trail as soon as i get it. i want to start riding the single speed to build up my strength and endurance and then set up my ogre to do some longer bikepacking rides . im going to readjust my schedule so i can get in 3-4 rides a week and need to work on a diet so i can try to drop some weight and just be healthier all around. thanks again for the help and info
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member

here she is

picked up my karate monkey today and it did come with the silver spokes and it also has the ardent tires which i wanted.
    originally i wanted the wheels blacked out but i'm honestly glad it didn't come that way now that i see it in person.if it had black spokes i think it would actually be a little to much black. now i just need to get out and ride it. hopefully the rain will hold off until tomorrow afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails question before i order a new karate monkey-20131018_191428.jpg  

surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Nice ride! Get out there and get it dirty!!!!
    SS Monkeys are fun! I had a black one for a while. Enjoy!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If i respray mine, it may be in blue, do like that colour.

I bought the last of the v-brake frames (2011) in black, had the bit's to build it up and only really had to buy v-brakes to get rolling.

Keep meaning to add gear's and get some disc ready wheels and disc brakes.

Mines still rigid SS on track wheels and v-brakes, we have gone up against super enduro racers, full on DH rigs, played on a world cup DH track, haven't come last, apart from SSUK where we got DFL but i was only last of those that managed the 3 laps of muddy hell, many bailed after lap 1, and the free beer was half way round the course, KM has taken it all in it's stride, thinking of trying cyclo cross on Monk next.

Enjoy it as it is and let it evolve, it will take you almost anywhere....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails question before i order a new karate monkey-377607_10151509510845530_812599149_n.jpg  

question before i order a new karate monkey-002.jpg  

question before i order a new karate monkey-098.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05 View Post
    picked up my karate monkey today and it did come with the silver spokes and it also has the ardent tires which i wanted.
    originally i wanted the wheels blacked out but i'm honestly glad it didn't come that way now that i see it in person.if it had black spokes i think it would actually be a little to much black. now i just need to get out and ride it. hopefully the rain will hold off until tomorrow afternoon.
    I like the blue...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com