jra

Pugsley off the peg - what parts are suspect?

Hey Surly gang. This will be my first trip into Surly ownership and quite sometime since buying a bike complete with pre-spec parts. First off I was enticed here by the Krampus then discovered the beauty of the KramPug, commuter and touring options of the Pugs with wheelset changes - I'm all in!

So the main questions I have since I'm not up on the latest in component tech is what should I look at replacing sooner rather than later to avoid trail side drama? I'm questioning the bottom bracket from the start but at my 165# weight they usually don't fail catastrophically. The handlebars will likely move to Jones bars but there's no rush with that. I'm excited to be using the Micro Shift top mounts!

So what say you? Ride it and break crap/see how it goes are there parts that are destined for the deep recesses of the parts bin immediately? Oh yeah... Blew or Black? heh Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seasick View Post
    HRide it and break crap/see how it goes are there parts that are destined for the deep recesses of the parts bin immediately?
    This, of course. There's nothing on the Pugsley that would predictably cause 'trail side drama' (why would there be?). Just buy it and ride it instead of fiddling with something that ain't broken.

jra
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post
    There's nothing on the Pugsley that would predictably cause 'trail side drama' (why would there be?).
    Thanks, that was the main question. When you've seen cranks, rings, BB's fail, pad related brake scream, hubs becoming 'fixed gear' , etc. all within weeks or sometimes hours from new ya have to wonder. That's what I'm doing. Wondering... and asking. Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nothing suspect at all. Change the seat and grips if they aren't comfortable to you, but otherwise ride and enjoy!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Rode my 2013 Pugs hard for the last 11 months and no issues with the stock components. The only issue I had was replacing the fork that was part of the Pugs recall. Don't forget these bikes are designed for adventure so they are quite durable.
    The LBS I support - http://atownbikes.net/