mtbr member
    Apr 2012

pugsley for a every day bike?

Do most people only use the pugs for snow and sand only?
    i plan to use mine as much as possible.
    is their any reason why i cant ride it around the streets and trails?
    i want to put a couple of racks on it and use it for food shopping and stuff,i live close to the main street and stores and it is kind of flat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go For It!

you're not alone in your desire to use Pugs for your everyday bike. Many of us have only one bike to do it all, and that bike is a Pugs.

Enjoy!

Pat

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    you're not alone in your desire to use Pugs for your everyday bike. Many of us have only one bike to do it all, and that bike is a Pugs.

Enjoy!

Pat
    Anyone using a 29er wheelset with road tires?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

undercover brother
    I ride mine just as much as my transition transam. It's an amazingly capable bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought mine for winter and ended up using it far more in the other three seasons. Excellent year round bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Plus+

Plus you have the option of fatties, 29ers, cross tires or skinny road tires/wheels. It's truly a do-all bike but I think most just ride their fatties around all year.

The tires are expensive but last quite a while.

Pat

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Everyday. Except when I ride my 1x1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pugs as road bike, Yes!

Not that I ever have it set up as a road bike but I've ridden the one-day 200 miler Fireweed road ride/race here in Alaska on my Pugs w/ 700x28's. Perhaps not the best bike for a double century but it worked fine. And with the Open Bars it's like riding a Cadillac....

I've ridden the Fireweed ride/race on all my Surlys, 1x1, CrossCheck, and KM, and the Pugs was as comfy as any of them.

Pat

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Also, I should add that yeah, I did entertain the idea of building up 29er wheels for it, but I got over that quick once I learned how fun the fat tires were in the dirt/rocks/roots. Especially once the Nate and Husker Du came out, holy jeebus that changed the game

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    good to hear. the first thing i think of when i wake up is . i am gettin a pugs!

mtbr member
    Congratulations,
    you're pointing in the right direction
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit View Post
    Do most people only use the pugs for snow and sand only?
    i plan to use mine as much as possible.
    is their any reason why i cant ride it around the streets and trails?
    i want to put a couple of racks on it and use it for food shopping and stuff,i live close to the main street and stores and it is kind of flat.
    No problems Pugsley does it all. Check out the Fat Bikes subforums on this website.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Great bike for goofing around town and trail riding year round. The tyres are expensive but my rear Endomorph is 6 years old and although pretty worn is still getting the job done (in the dry!)
    I ride mine to work some days because it's too much fun. Fun makes up for the singlespeed/heavy/rackless/no fenders negatives any day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've been this studying for a bit, (hence bumping an old thread)

Right now I ride a 29er rockhopper i bought cheap. It is really a very OK bike, nothing special, but really quite capable and comfortable.
    I want a do-all bike. All season heavy touring camping rig.
    First I thought the ECR.
    But later I realized much of my ridding is Cross check style and I lusted for one.

But were I live there's a gazillion mountain trails, river crossings unexplored. So I'm now thinking Pugsley would be the do all machine around home. Though I'd like to have a x-check to see what it's like.

But I'm floating between others... LHT, Ogre, Troll, Big dummy, crosscheck.

I suppose I'll end up with several bikes

But now the Pugsley seems to open more adventure ad exploring new territory, and still ride my regular loop on pavement

mtbr member
    I would likely ride my pugsley more around town if I wasnt so worried about locking it up outside in the city, but I love it as an all-around bike. Fun is the word. Fast if you've got the legs, light if you've got the money/desire, but fun regardless. I got one to replace my wrecked xcheck and I don't regret it.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Pugs, pugs,pugs,pugspugs,pugs,pugs....my maine ride!

mtbr member
    Pugs is a good everyday bike. What isn't as much fun is riding big knobby tires (Nates) on pavement.

I have a great time pulling the weehoo with my Pugs. It's actually the bike my kids ask me to take. They love it as much as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would actually vote for the Troll as a better all rounder bike. It has no problems bikepacking and wont slow you down as much on the road. That being said if you have your heart set on the pugs go for it.

Did I catch a niner?
    I have a few friends that ride their pugs all around the city and everywhere else. Very capable bike and now with so many tire choices.

If it were my dollar on this I would invest in say a pair of Endomorphs, I know a lot of people frown on this tire now. But they can be had for pretty cheap plus I think they do well with mixed terrain. If not that a set of Knards would do well in 26x3.0 size. I would tell you to get the biggest tire possible nothing like a 700x28 or anything like that, the city is much more comfortable on big cushy tires.

If you can get a Moonlander fork on the front, the mounts are a great addition I think to any bike. I have an enabler on my fat front all arounder bike, and with a frame bag I can mount a couple water bottle cages to the fork, I put a crown fork light mount, and will soon have a lowrider rack.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/90161/travis-boss

mtbr member
    Seems like the 3.8 Knard would be a good all-round tire. I wish SKS or Planet Bike would make full coverage fenders for the Pugs. I imagine they'd only work with 3.8 tires on 65mm rims. Still, that'd be neat.

I thought last year would be the year I purchased a mountain bike but I ended up getting a Vaya instead. I'm hoping this year to get something. I test rode a Pugs a while back and really liked it. The SS Pugs is appealing.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    In fact, with commuting on salted/sloppy roads in mind I cludged a splash guard to help protect my frame after I found some surface rust on the bottom bracket. I may get the frame stripped and coated after the winter. I did a temporary couple coats of paint after removing the rust with sandpaper. Pug should be groovy for another while now.

mtbr member
    My Pugsleys ARE my MTBs with 29+ wheels fitted, and i often ride one of my Pugs to work, 4 miles each way so not worried about the distance thing... and often do a detour home for a bit fun...
    Here`s some films...

plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Coastkid71, you've replace Devo (reference to Devo's "It's a Pugs life" thread which went strong here for years) as our Pugs evangelist. And yes, a Pugs with a 29er wheelset sure makes for a versatile bike.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Devo and myself were (and for myself still) 2 Pug owners of the original 30 people who signed up to get the MTBR fatbike Forum up and running along with Speedway Cycles as a sponser...
    Things have really grown and moved along in popularity and fatbike designs...
    Meanwhile some of us have still kept riding what we first bought , and are happy with that,
    I have just built a 3rd Pugsley on a budget from a used frameset, wheels. and parts from old MTBs, Having bought a used 29+ Krampus wheel set last year i have now offset them adding a 135mm front hub i sourced used and i am running 2.5 29er tyres, proving Surlys original concept of transferring bike componants from an old bike onto a new build can still be done,
    I do it as i enjoy it and it proves that cycling what you want is not as expensive an outlay as people think...
    Last edited by coastkid71; 1 Week Ago at 04:00 PM.
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ianick View Post
    I have a great time pulling the weehoo with my Pugs. It's actually the bike my kids ask me to take. They love it as much as I do.
    My daughter is 10 now so, absence of snow aside, I think the end has already come to my days of pulling her on the toboggan behind the pugs