Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The problem with Surlys...

... they're so damn versatile. I find myself wanting to change the set-ups on my CC and even my LHT. I had my CC set-up single speed and with the Open Bar, a perfect commuter. Then I decided I wanted to try out the Salsa Cowbell HB and so put that on the CC, took off the Schwalbes and threw on some Jack Browns and now it's a great little all-road single speed. I may even make it into a multi-geared bike. So that gets me thinking, maybe I'll try the Open Bar on the LHT since I'm using that for commuting now. The bikes just seem to lend themselves to experimenting with different set-ups. Damn you Surly and your versatile bikes!

Anyone else have this problem?
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I'm running an Open Bar on my LHT and it's great -- go for it.

wants a taco
    My troll has been rigid, suspended, and xtracycle'd so far. Next year it will be set up as a ultra distance bikepacker that will hopefully carry me across the GDMBR.
    Just another cycling blog...
    The Long Way Home

mtbr member
    My CC has gone about four months now without a big change. That may be a record for me, but it won't last. I'm getting the urge for a fixed gear again...

mtbr member
    Feel the same way about my KM. It can be so many things: geared, IGH or SS, 29mtb or full fendered commuter, disc's or cant's..you name it. Can't wait to see where it takes me, and with any luck this versatility paired with my ti cross bike (also does road duty) will mean I won't need any more non-FS bikes for a long time.
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Same problem here. I'm always dreaming about N+1 but in the end my Cross Check works just fine for 95% of my riding. My other bikes get ridden maybe once a month if they're lucky. Rocky, rooty singletrack is just about the only situation where I'll prefer to ride my mountain bikes.

With some spare wheelsets I can quickly switch between asphalt (700x25 Panaracer T-Serv), gravel-grinding and smooth singletrack (700x32 Marathon Supreme or 700x35 Panaracer Cinder), and slushy/icy winter stuff (700x40 Nokian W240).

I'm currently running fixed but I left the rear cantis on just so I can switch back to geared or SS when I feel like it. I use a Salsa Vaya fork on the front for the straight-blade disc brake goodness. Perversely, I enjoy having three different ways to brake (super-mullet?) because each method has strengths and weaknesses in different riding conditions.

mtbr member
    +1 to all of this. i bought my CC stock about 2 years ago. apart from some upgrades, it's been the same. I put on a 11-32 cassette, Kenda happy medium 700x40 tires and some interrupter levers for another hand position riding singletrack. other than that it's the same. partially from seeing other people's set ups on here, i've been very close to stripping it down to a single speed or putting on open bars. the problem is that it works so well in so many different riding conditions as is, i can't change it up even though i know it would work well in those other set ups. i've even considered saving for yet another CC to set up completely different.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Yes. I constantly want to fiddle with or change things on my Karate Monkey. Part of it has been getting the bike dialed for me, but it has also often just been for fun.

PRETENDURO
    I’ve had my 1x1 (11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride”) set up with singlespeed, Alfine 8-speed IGH, drop bars, straight bars, 700c wheels, 24"x2.5" Large Marge wheels (with the 24"x3.45" Hoggy-G tires), 26"x2.5" Large Marge wheels, “skinny” 35mm wide 26" wheels, Nokian Gazzaloddis (26"x3"), a Pugsley non-offset fork in front (running a Large Marge shod with a 26"x3.7" Surly Endomorph tire), as a pretend singlespeed CX bike… such a versatile bike. It’s no wonder it’s the bike I have put the most miles on (5,032 miles). At the present it is a pretend singlespeed road bike (44x20 gearing) with 26"x2" Schwalbe Big Apple tires. Such a fun bike!

Oh, and then there’s my Surly Big Dummy, this picture pretty much says so much:
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

FKA Malibu412
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Oh yeah. Surly's are great that way. I love how my CC and LHT are so similar (for swapping parts) and yet so different. I love they both can take 45mm knobbies and be my "mountain bike", depending on what I want to do. And I love that they both look awesome with a Brooks saddle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I love my newest LHT in black because its a great stock set-up. When it turns 1 year old it will get something new/different because I decided this time I had to wait at least a year to add something. I've had to other LHT's and a crosscheck and this time its going to be with me forever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My take is they are so cheap why not have two.Both set up to your preference

mtbr member

CCx2?

Quote Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
    My take is they are so cheap why not have two.Both set up to your preference
    That's kind of what I've been thinking and why I'm considering putting together a geared CC with some parts I have laying around. We'll see. I love my SS CC, perfect rain bike for here in Portland. But then again, here in Portland every bike is a rain bike and every ride a rain ride...
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I can't help but wonder if this is the year Surly does a disc CC. I know it's a heated topic with some feeling disc are overkill but there is a demand for a disc CC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfltroll View Post
    I can't help but wonder if this is the year Surly does a disc CC. I know it's a heated topic with some feeling disc are overkill but there is a demand for a disc CC.
    even though people have pointed out there are some alternatives to a disc CC, i think the fact that so many people bring it up shows that there is some market for one. I fall into the 'good with cantis' camp, but that could be a cool bike. i bet surly will see how well the disc trucker sells.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwall View Post
    even though people have pointed out there are some alternatives to a disc CC, i think the fact that so many people bring it up shows that there is some market for one. I fall into the 'good with cantis' camp, but that could be a cool bike. i bet surly will see how well the disc trucker sells.
    I think giving the LHT discs first was the wrong decision. Crosscheck is the more offroad bike an would benefit more from discs and is SSP/geared hub capable. Hope Surly will recognize this in 2013.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    One other problem with Surly's- people just don't part with them! Try to find a used Karate Monkey frame! I love both of mine CC and a Pugs Next is a SS Karate monkey,then a Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    I think giving the LHT discs first was the wrong decision. Crosscheck is the more offroad bike an would benefit more from discs and is SSP/geared hub capable. Hope Surly will recognize this in 2013.
    Well, the thing is that the LHT is the only QBP show in town for a 26 inch touring bike, and the touring crowd clearly wanted disc brakes for stopping their super-heavy weighed down steeds going down those big mountains that all tourers ride. So I'll guess that's why LHT got discs first. And, of course, lots of QBP 700c bikes already have discs - Vaya, Fargo, KM, Ogre, Civia Bryant, etc. But, if disc brakes really catch on in cyclocross racing (which I'm not so sure is such a foregone conclusion), than I guess Surly will have to offer a Disc-Check. Or Salsa will bring back the La Cruz.

What would be really cool is a Cross Check version of the Troll/Ogre that has both canti posts and disc tabs. (The Goblin?) A production frame that takes centerpull brakes would be cool too, but that's probably more a Pacer-type bike than a CC.

But really, the next bike from Surly will undoubtedly be a fat-long bike. The Pugs Dummy. With a matching fat-trailer. Trailer Rufus. Oh yeah!

mtbr member
    i like The Goblin concept! if surly were to go in the CC version of the troll & orge, it would be cool to see mounts for anything cages on the front fork similar to those bikes. would be great for short camping trips, especially those involving a little singletrack.

mtbr member
    Anything mounts on the Big Dummy fork would be nice. I wouldn't mind seeing them on the LHT or CC fork but maybe that would be too much. Who knows.

Since I started this thread I've sold some bike stuff and will be selling more, including a frame. My bike savings account is growing. I'm pretty sure if there's a new stead added to the quiver it'll be a Surly. Who knows, maybe I'll get a Big Dummy finally. I don't have a car. I'd put it to good use. It's just the issue of storage but I think I may have that resolved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Do want a goblin. Very very very insane green goblin !

To the topic. Bought crosscheck because of versatility, it can be almost anything. If surly transmutes him to goblin , with those nice troll/ogre rear dropouts and disc/canti fork, it will be perfect 700c steel bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think the ogre kind of fits the do anything disk setup. Picked mine up yesterday and rain today of course

mwv
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I’ve had my 1x1 (11th Anniversary Edition “Rat Ride”) set up with singlespeed, Alfine 8-speed IGH, drop bars, straight bars, 700c wheels, 24"x2.5" Large Marge wheels (with the 24"x3.45" Hoggy-G tires), 26"x2.5" Large Marge wheels, “skinny” 35mm wide 26" wheels, Nokian Gazzaloddis (26"x3"), a Pugsley non-offset fork in front (running a Large Marge shod with a 26"x3.7" Surly Endomorph tire), as a pretend singlespeed CX bike… such a versatile bike. It’s no wonder it’s the bike I have put the most miles on (5,032 miles). At the present it is a pretend singlespeed road bike (44x20 gearing) with 26"x2" Schwalbe Big Apple tires. Such a fun bike!

Oh, and then there’s my Surly Big Dummy, this picture pretty much says so much:
    ]
    What bars are you running on this?

singlespeed stephen
    Apr 2012
    I usually commute on my fixed gear, but as soon as I got my cross-check together I didn't see a point in having two bikes anymore. Decided on throwing a rear flip/flop track wheel on the back so I can still ride fixed when I want to. Love my CC!
    2012 Transition TransAM
    2012 Surly Cross Check
    2010 Rocky Mountain Flow DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast